Coffee Shops.

simplepipes
Codger in Training

I have not enjoyed coffee for years and had no use for coffee shops back when . . . when I did I was not of the impression you could find as good a cup as you could make yourself with a French Press or Moka Pot.

I feel the same about taverns, lounges, bars whatever you choose to call them . . . and . . . B&M Tobacco Shops. Too many experts with 5 minutes experience.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

simplepipes wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:43 pm I have not enjoyed coffee for years and had no use for coffee shops back when . . . when I did I was not of the impression you could find as good a cup as you could make yourself with a French Press or Moka Pot.

I feel the same about taverns, lounges, bars whatever you choose to call them . . . and . . . B&M Tobacco Shops. Too many experts with 5 minutes experience.

-sp
Tell us how you really feel. :)
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

simplepipes wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:43 pm I have not enjoyed coffee for years and had no use for coffee shops back when . . . when I did I was not of the impression you could find as good a cup as you could make yourself with a French Press or Moka Pot.

-sp
I agree. When you're out on the go and want a second or third cup of coffee for the day, they fit the bill. Out here there's a joint called Philz that's pretty consistently good.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Also, I don't base my choices of coffee or anything else on a CEO's politics. Right or left it's just another rich asshole pandering to a crowd and doesn't actually give a damn what you think so long as they can get your money. Any thought otherwise is just foolish
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
ric03

I don't mind them, but don't use them often. If I'm out and want a coffee I usually just go to a McDonalds drive through. I sometimes get takeouts from supermarket coffee shops. More often, I'll just grab a bottle of chilled coffee for the car nowadays. That's about it, really. I don't look back fondly at the old style greasy spoons! They were dumps, here, full of grizzly food, instant coffee, chewing gum on the seats and so much cigarette smoke you could barely see. I do prefer modern ones to those, though not so much I am particularily drawn to them.
ric03

Tsal wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:13 pm Most "coffee shops" nowadays peddle vegan food and attitude.
There's one up in the Lakes, near Coniston, it used to be called The Skelwith Bridge Coffee Shop and did the most amazing sausage rolls. It was famous for them. I used to eat them as a kid in the 70s, was still eating them camping there in my late thirties. They tasted exactly the same as they always did, it was a taste of my childhood and I used to look forward to them each camping trip. Last time I went it had become vegan only. I've not been back since 🤬🗯 :fu:
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

3 to 4 days a week I'm out in "the field." as they say. I usually hit a coffee shop mid morning for a jolt and to knock out a few emails. I stick to independent shops that roast their own beans, avoiding S-Bucks, Coffee Bean, and any of the other chains. The beans need to be used a day or three after roasting. You never get this at a chain.

I don't really care much about decor, vibe, or clientele; it all about the quality of the mud coming out of the machine. With that said, it seems the independent places are a bit more laid back, and a bit more eccentric than the chains. This is good.

Excepting the volume of the music and conversations, coffee shops aren't really much different than bars. Some are great, some are awful, and most are somewhere in the middle.

I gotta believe that there are probably a couple really cool, oddball coffee shops in NOLA. Just ignore the trendy poseurs.
ever forward
Hawkwood

Independent shops can be good, preferably not in college towns. As for chains I like Aroma Joe's in Maine. Decent coffee, normal folk.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Hawkwood wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:21 am As for chains I like Aroma Joe's in Maine. Decent coffee, normal folk.
As goes Maine, so goes the nation. Dirigo is the state motto.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

We had one in the back of an antique store that we would make an excuse to visit. Talk with nice people and play with the dogs. They closed unfortunately. We're getting a Starbucks in Atlanta (Texas), but most don't want it. We have a coffee shop in Linden on the square that is dying from lack of business and a coffee trailer on the highway that does OK. Most people gather at the Fuel Center to drink coffee and visit all day.
The Starbucks will probably do well on the highway from people traveling through.
God and Texas!