March Meer Madness™ 2019

racinghoss

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:20 pm
racinghoss wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:12 pm So we will have a new thread tomorrow? Are we posting photos of our meers on 1 March, and posting again on 31 March?
Dunno, I think we are just going to plug away here.
*From the first post in this thread*:

Let's use this thread to post about MMM, to alert the meerless of bargains you've found, and just general nonsense regarding all things meer.

When March gets here we will close this thread and start posting our MMM smokes in the regular March WAYS thread.

Sheesh! You ain't gotta yell!
racinghoss

Wildcrow wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 pm
racinghoss wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:16 pm And I will probably pack this one a couple times. Haven't smoked it in years. I'm afraid of dropping it and ruining my dad's scrimshaw work.

I like that pipe a lot. The EGA turned out great. He/you should be proud of that work.
Thank you, Sir (& BR too)! It is a special pipe as we are both Marines. Its not his best work, as he has aged and lost his steady hand, but when I had him do this it was the only artwork of his that I had.

He has done scrimshandering and pen & ink art for many years. I'll get pics of my powder horn next time I'm at the house. He's sold his powder horns and pen/ink on buffalo skull art to folks all over the world. He kept a steady supply of stuff to stores in Jackson, WY when I was growing up in Idaho. His stuff from back then was world class. Good enough that Disney begged him to work for them. He declined, wanting to keep art a hobby. He made a living as a trucker.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:52 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:20 pm

Dunno, I think we are just going to plug away here.
*From the first post in this thread*:

Let's use this thread to post about MMM, to alert the meerless of bargains you've found, and just general nonsense regarding all things meer.

When March gets here we will close this thread and start posting our MMM smokes in the regular March WAYS thread.

Can you magnify the font any larger? I can't see it. Lol
Better? :lol:

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

racinghoss wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:10 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:25 pm My phone camera does a pretty crappy job of capturing the actual color of my meers but here is the starting lineup for the madness. I think I could go the whole month smoking just meers pretty easily
Say! One of those looks familiar!
Yessir! Finally got around to cleaning it up and fiddling with the button area a little (I like a pretty thin bite zone so I take most stems down just a tad)
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
racinghoss

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:46 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:25 pm My phone camera does a pretty crappy job of capturing the actual color of my meers but here is the starting lineup for the madness. I think I could go the whole month smoking just meers pretty easily
Yessir! Finally got around to cleaning it up and fiddling with the button area a little (I like a pretty thin bite zone so I take most stems down just a tad)
Dang! That pipe had a small button as it is.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

racinghoss wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:07 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Dang! That pipe had a small button as it is.
Yeah I filed the stem in front of the button to lower the bite / increase the size of the button itself
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Six days left in March Meer Madness. Thoughts?
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:29 pm Six days left in March Meer Madness. Thoughts?
I am thinking the recently spiffed up Silver Duke pot and the BST are feeling neglected.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I'm thinking 31 days is a long time to commit to smoking meerschaum! I think next year for me will be an emphasis on smoking the meers but not forgoing briar altogether. That's how we do the July Corndog Fry, emphasize the corn but keep smoking the briar too. March is a loooong month!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:48 pm I'm thinking 31 days is a long time to commit to smoking meerschaum! I think next year for me will be an emphasis on smoking the meers but not forgoing briar altogether. That's how we do the July Corndog Fry, emphasize the corn but keep smoking the briar too. March is a loooong month!
I have given this some thought. Given druthers, I might make the new Roxy(ish) National my first smoke of the day for July and try to smoke the Radio everyday. Unless this is not enough commitment to the 'dogs, the plan seems reasonable. I would not want to let anyone down with lack of commitment.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017