Henry McKenna Straight Bourbon Whiskey . First impression

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Last night on the way to dinner , I stopped into a Liquor store in search of OGD114 and had no luck . I also walked in right before they closed and was alerted to that fact by the woman working there . Of course , Jennifer went right to the Cognac to snag a bottle of Remy Martin 1738 and then ran right to the bottle of Disaronno . Damn there goes 80 bucks right there . When it comes to booze , my wife is no cheap date , i swear . Anyway , I was bummed about the no go with the OGD114 so , I grabbed what was in front of me which happened to be a bottle of Henry McKenna 80 proof for 13 bucks . Figured I have some Virgin Bourbon , Evan Williams and a tiny bit of Bulleit Rye at the house and after Jennifers 2 bottle grab , I wasnt gonna drop serious money unless it was 114
I get hom later and Im thinking ... I wonder if this stuff is good . It cost 13 bucks like Virgin and EW ... come to find out when I looked it up that its made by Heaven Hill just as the other two are . Anyway , ya know how some of the " nicer " bourbons are a little lighter in color and Cleaner tasting than the charcoal filtered type stuff ... well , the 80 proof Henry McKenna is like those but not as complex .I'm beginning to wonder if Heaven Hill can make a bad bourbon ?

I think , over some time , that I've magically stumbled on the " trinity " of cheap damn good bourbon

To my tastes

Evan Williams Black is a nice well rounded bourbon with a near medium of flavour and a medium short finish at 86 proof

Virgin Bourbon is similar in that its a medium flavour and a medium short finish and has that JD kinda charcoal thing going .. at 101 proof

Henry McKenna has a lighter flavour , but not weak or thin , a lighter color and an actual medium or medium plus finish at 80 proof

So ,EW Black for the regular Bourbon
Virgin Bourbon for the charcoal and 101 ass kick
Henry McKenna for the lighter cleaner taste and longer finish

In a nutshell , the McKenna reminds me of Basil Hydens , which is 40+ bucks a bottle ! its pretty damn close in every way .I found my cleaner tasting bourbon !!
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

"Jennifer's two bottle grab"...lol That was funny!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:14 pm "Jennifer's two bottle grab"...lol That was funny!
:lol: Not funny to pay for ... lo l .... she loves sangria and Lambrusco in warm weather , so I guess I get off cheap there . But damn booze , man . Her pallet is pretty refined and she can smell something and look at me and say ... I wont drink that , its cheap garbage . I'll of course try it , whatever it is , and sure as heck ... shes always right . I had her try Canadian Mist once .. I had to pull her arm . I really like the stuff . She took a sip and said ..... how can you drink that
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Henry McKenna has a lighter flavour , but not weak or thin , a lighter color and an actual medium or medium plus finish at 80 proof

That sounds right up my alley John. Don't think I've ever seen it up here. Thanks for review!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
CoreyR
Founding Member

I can drop more than $80 on one bottle of Scotch!

Of course, it takes me forever to actually finish it off....
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wildcat wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:09 am Henry McKenna has a lighter flavour , but not weak or thin , a lighter color and an actual medium or medium plus finish at 80 proof

That sounds right up my alley John. Don't think I've ever seen it up here. Thanks for review!
This one is a no brainer , I think . Its exceptionally clean and the finish lasts long enough to be sexy .It just isnt as complex as higher end clan bourbons

Seriously , Id have to do a side by side to tell which I like better .. it or Basil Hydens , which is what it kind of rinds me of
Wildcat
Codger in Training

I was just mentioning this thread and the McKenna to MrPipster on his bourbon thread.

I don't know how you do that 114 proof, John. You're my hero! I tried the Wild Turkey 101. It was good, but not for me. It's kinda like wings. I like hot wings, but not to the point where they're too hot and no longer enjoyable. I'm happy with 80 proof Canadian whiskey. That said, if I ever see the Henry McKenna here I'll give it a try, even though I don't reach for bourbon that much anymore. If it's as easy going as you say, maybe I'll change that!!!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wildcat wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:44 pm I was just mentioning this thread and the McKenna to MrPipster on his bourbon thread.

I don't know how you do that 114 proof, John. You're my hero! I tried the Wild Turkey 101. It was good, but not for me. It's kinda like wings. I like hot wings, but not to the point where they're too hot and no longer enjoyable. I'm happy with 80 proof Canadian whiskey. That said, if I ever see the Henry McKenna here I'll give it a try, even though I don't reach for bourbon that much anymore. If it's as easy going as you say, maybe I'll change that!!!
Whats crazy about the OGD114 is that is doesnt come across as a 114 ... its very smooth , rich and aromatic .WT 101 is like a kick in the face in comparison . Imo , the OGD114 is what all bourbon could be

I know what youre saying about the Canadian stuff , I love it myself .. and yes , I think the McKenna would be on par with what you describe as liking. Heck , if it were possible , Id say if you hated it that I would trade you for it .. sadly , alcohol cant be mailed in a trade , lol . For an inexpensive bourbon , McKenna is quit refined and I was pleasantly shocked
Ronv69
Founding Member

What I have often said that there is no bad Kentucky bourbon whiskey, no matter what shelf it is on. If it is bourbon made in Kentucky, it is a good product. It may not be to your taste, but that doesn't make it bad.
God and Texas!
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

This may sound crazy but, would a drop or two of simple syrup take the edge off the harsh straight alcohol taste?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche