The lack of OGD 114 and others and my Canadian Purchase

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Well , it seems OGD 114 is either not popular enough to be carried at either of the two liquor stores that are nearest to me , separated by 38 miles between the two , btw . ...Or ... its not being made ... or , its been found out by the whack jobs out there that are collectors of every trendy hobby they get into . Christ almighty , I cant wait for the " Bourbon/ Whiskey Fad " to pass either way . I'm looking forward to the trendsters to jump on pretty on pink mixed drinks or Gin or Rum .. hell , anything but bourbon and whiskey

Anyway , I wont rant that I couldnt find the OGD114 where Ive been buying it for some time . They didnt have teh Henry McKenna 10 year .. thats at the other store 38 miles away .

So , bummed as I was and not in the mood to buy anything othr than some 114 , being I have some bottles open .. I had a thought ! :o I thought , damn , I havent had a Canadian in some time .I didnt feel like spending money of course , after all I've been buying mainly 13 dollar bottles of booze lately and scoring big . So as to not screw my mojo up , I bought a 13 dollar bottle of Black Velvet Reserve Canadian Whiskey . This is one that I go back with for some time . It isnt the regular Black Velvet , which is mainly grain neutral spirits . The Reserve is 8 year aged Canadian Whiskey and its a damn good summer whiskey . Its not as good as teh Forty Creeek Barrel select , which has gone up in price now , sadly, Its still 20 bucks at Total wine , which is about 80 miles from my place , but locally its 25 to 28 bucks now . I digress ... so I bought the 13 dollar bottle of BVR

In a Nutshell ...

It isn’t a bourbon . I know a good many Bourbon enjoyers dont like Canadian stuff .. but I do . It's lighter in body and sweeter than most any bourbon ... its Freakin Canadian and I dig Canadians . Imagine it's 90 degrees outside and you came in to cool off . So youre cooled off but its not like you weren’t cooking yer ass off 30 minutes ago ... for me , a Canadian whiskey is just easier going than a Bourbon at certain times and some of those times are upcoming summer .
Plus , I don’t like ice in my Bourbon , I swirl an ice cube in a class and a little melts and then I chuck the ice and pour the bourbon .. and half the time I dont even do that , I just pour it , But with Canadian stuff , being its sweeter , when I add Ice to it , it doesn’t bother me like it does with bourbon . So thats another good reason for me to snag a Canadian . The thing with Forty Creek , btw .. is that its not as sweet as other Canadians and is " more serious " in its whiskey flavor ... I drink it like I do a bourbon

Anyway , I got the BVR and I'll be popping it probably sometime in June and no doubt July , though its good any time of year , I just have a good number of stuff open .I just wish OGD114 was one of them
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

OGD 114 isn't easy to find here either so when I do stumble across it I always snag one. I want to try that Virgin bourbon you have / had but it's nowhere to be found here in the land of fruits and nuts
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I have been seeing OGD 114 everywhere lately. Way to high proof for me though.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Whistlebritches

mrpipster wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:16 pm I have been seeing OGD 114 everywhere lately. Way to high proof for me though.
I love it neat but drop an ice cube in it if you think In needs taming.I wish I was seeing it everywhere.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:58 pm OGD 114 isn't easy to find here either so when I do stumble across it I always snag one. I want to try that Virgin bourbon you have / had but it's nowhere to be found here in the land of fruits and nuts
I cant express how much I dig the Virgin Bourbon . From what Ive read , its mainly exported and sold in the South East to an extent . I dont know why that is ... my Goodness , its good . Its not legal in the state of Georgia to receive alcohol in the mail but it may b legal to send out . If so , I'll send you a bottle of the Virgin , if its legal to get stuff in the mail in your state . To me , its what I'd want Jack Daniels to taste like
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Whistlebritches wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:52 pm
mrpipster wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:16 pm I have been seeing OGD 114 everywhere lately. Way to high proof for me though.
I wish I was seeing it everywhere.
Me too , damn it :buddy:
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:42 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:58 pm OGD 114 isn't easy to find here either so when I do stumble across it I always snag one. I want to try that Virgin bourbon you have / had but it's nowhere to be found here in the land of fruits and nuts
I cant express how much I dig the Virgin Bourbon . From what Ive read , its mainly exported and sold in the South East to an extent . I dont know why that is ... my Goodness , its good . Its not legal in the state of Georgia to receive alcohol in the mail but it may b legal to send out . If so , I'll send you a bottle of the Virgin , if its legal to get stuff in the mail in your state . To me , its what I'd want Jack Daniels to taste like
After a quick glance, it's not illegal to ship alcohol as long as it's not a dry city / county / state. It cannot be shipped via USPS, but ups and FedEx have no such rule. I'd gladly send you the $ to cover it all Ruff
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:09 pm
After a quick glance, it's not illegal to ship alcohol as long as it's not a dry city / county / state. It cannot be shipped via USPS, but ups and FedEx have no such rule. I'd gladly send you the $ to cover it all Ruff
Cool ! Im going to Murphy NC tomorrow for a rehearsal .. I'll blow into the shop there and snag you one . I'll let you know the exact cost , which I think is 13 dollars . I dont know what shipping will be but I'd imagine 5ish [ ? ] . I'll go ahead and get it and you can send me a pay pal later for what the cost of it and shipping is ....... but no more because that would be uncool . I would get folks at psf1 American old school snuff because it seems to not be in much of the USA, though here its everywhere . I did the same for them and of course would do it for anyone here
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Btw , when you get it .. pop it and drink a couple fingers in a mixed drink or neat . It will be good but not great . The aroma from a fresh popped bottle is good but not great ........ after you pour/drink those 2 fingers , close the bottle up and forget about it for a couple few days . When you pop it after the air is in there and its rested ... get ready for a damn good 101ith a killr aroma !! In a nutshell , its what Jack Daniels should taste like . For me , its on of those bourbons that if it were the only one ... Id be completely fine with that
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:39 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:09 pm

Cool ! Im going to Murphy NC tomorrow for a rehearsal .. I'll blow into the shop there and snag you one . I'll let you know the exact cost , which I think is 13 dollars . I dont know what shipping will be but I'd imagine 5ish [ ? ] . I'll go ahead and get it and you can send me a pay pal later for what the cost of it and shipping is ....... but no more because that would be uncool . I would get folks at psf1 American old school snuff because it seems to not be in much of the USA, though here its everywhere . I did the same for them and of course would do it for anyone here
My hero! Much appreciated Ruff