Bourbon........A love/hate affair

Whistlebritches

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:34 pm

I've been from bottom shelf to top shelf and all points in between for many years now.My one observation that seems to repeat itself over and over..........Everytime I find a favorite middle of the road bourbon it either disappears,gets rebranded with a price increase or drops the age statement and gets reblended with younger whisky.Just in the last 7-8 years.......Weller 12 gone,Elmer T Lee gone,Elijah Craig not a 12 yo anymore,fancy new bottle,taste nothing like the OR EC and.......drum roll please........a f*****g price increase,of late Old Granddad 114 has all but disappeared.Based on these observations I'm betting Old Forester Signature 100 proof,my new favorite middle of the shelf bourbon,is either rebranded with a price increase or disappears altogether since it is Woodford Reserves kissing cousin.
This post by Whistlebritches liked by (total 2):
Mr BeardsleyRuffinogold
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Well I am just starting my bourbon adventure so I am just trying to find my everyday favorite by tasting readily available stuff
I am having fun with it by buying the 50ml bottles and am still not sure about which is my favorite yet.
I am asking for a couple of bottles of highly reguarded middle of the road whiskeys for Fathers Day. I can certainly see your side of things though.
Its weird how distribution works isnt it. I can get OG 114 easily here.
Pm me if its ok to send whiskey to your state. I dont want to brake any laws.
This post by mrpipster liked by (total 2):
WhistlebritchesRuffinogold
Whistlebritches

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:33 pm

mrpipster wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:17 pm
Well I am just starting my bourbon adventure so I am just trying to find my everyday favorite by tasting readily available stuff
I am having fun with it by buying the 50ml bottles and am still not sure about which is my favorite yet.
I am asking for a couple of bottles of highly reguarded middle of the road whiskeys for Fathers Day. I can certainly see your side of things though.
Its weird how distribution works isnt it. I can get OG 114 easily here.
Pm me if its ok to send whiskey to your state. I dont want to brake any laws.
It isn't ............but I promise I will never tell.LOL

I have a friend in Indiana who walks into one of his locals last fall and staring him in the face is a dozen plus bottles of Rip Van Winkle at msrp $49.95.Clearly marked "one bottle per customer".I ask my buddy "did you go get the wife,kids,cousins and extended family"?His reply stunned me......."no,I just grabbed MY bottle and left".The selfish bastid.LOL

This just goes to show any bourbon can turn up.......I just wish it happened more often......for me.
This post by Whistlebritches liked by:
Ruffinogold
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:46 pm

Damn. Well I hope you run across a bottle sometime. That is just WAY to high proof for me right now.
I am taking a bottle to my FIL when we visit him and my MIL so I will try and sip some then.
This post by mrpipster liked by:
Whistlebritches
Southern Appalachia

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:48 pm

The worst thing about starting a bourbon journey is what Teh Mayor touched on in a thread. The bourbon hipsters who will even snatch up all the Buffalo Trace because it's the same distiller that makes the ridiculously overpriced and hyped Pappy Van Winkle and good but not the greatest Blantons. These are the people who are going to drive me to Scotch as they haven't "discovered" that yet
This post by Southern Appalachia liked by:
Ruffinogold
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:45 pm

Southern Appalachia wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:48 pm
The worst thing about starting a bourbon journey is what Teh Mayor touched on in a thread. The bourbon hipsters who will even snatch up all the Buffalo Trace because it's the same distiller that makes the ridiculously overpriced and hyped Pappy Van Winkle and good but not the greatest Blantons. These are the people who are going to drive me to Scotch as they haven't "discovered" that yet
Oh , but they will . Its only a matter of time before theyre told by someone " influential " . like a rapper , communist or tech geek , that Scotch is the thinking mans bourbon .. or some bull shit like that . Then they'll " go scotch ". Personally , I hope and pray they go Vodka or Gin because I could give a rats ass about either . Maybe the next queer thing that will come about is " ARTISAN WINE COOLERS " .... somebody get on that cause its summer and now would be a good time to bs them into it

The problm is every one these days is a critic of whatever they happen to think about , whether they know anything about it or not . An example is ... if you google .. bourbon , toothpaste or lube etc ... on the first page there will be a number of site with the " top ten " of whatever youre searching for , written by some prick who only wrote because it was a topic that could get " hits " to boost the numbers count . Yeah , some 22 year old punk ass is gonna come up with a top ten list of bourbons ... which btw , looks like a majority of the other 200 top ten lists of bourbon

Im ranting and I apologise but I just hate this modern social media bs , I truly do .

I swear , if Evan Williams ever becomes hard to get ... I'm gonna hunt punks down and force them into carrot juice and bulgier wheat where they belong
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 2):
Whistlebritchesmrpipster
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "