Let us talk Scotch

JBRiner

While on a business trip I was able to try some Lagavilin 18. Dear goodness...that was the most flavorful thing that I’ve ever experienced. It had flavors on top of flavors playing with other flavors. I would love to get a bottle for the house buuut it is a bit out of my price range...

I did pick up a bottle of McCallen Islay (if my memory is correct is made by Dalmore) it is good, but not quite the existential experience the the Lagavulin 18 was.
Adwyth
Whistlebritches

JBRiner wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:10 pm While on a business trip I was able to try some Lagavilin 18. Dear goodness...that was the most flavorful thing that I’ve ever experienced. It had flavors on top of flavors playing with other flavors. I would love to get a bottle for the house buuut it is a bit out of my price range...

I did pick up a bottle of McCallen Islay (if my memory is correct is made by Dalmore) it is good, but not quite the existential experience the the Lagavulin 18 was.
I think you mean McClelland Islay.Maccallan is a speyside......and my favorite Scotch in the 12,15 and 18 Sherry Oak.
SnowCap

I’m a Laphroig guy, myself. I love the peaty, smoky flavors.
I’m also a lover of Latakia blends, so...there you go.
Along the same lines, Talisker is also a good Islay scotch. I really like their Storm release.
As far as a blend, I try to keep a bottle of JW black for refined company. 😉
It’s not the kill, it’s the thrill of the chase!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I have really found myself favoring Auchentoshan Three Wood. It is one of the most easy drinking, comforting non-peated scotches I think I've had. Pairs well with just about anything, doesn't overpower the palate.

Edit.. Just had to add these amusing tasting notes I just found on it..

Nose: Cooked fruit, sherry, toffee, a rum-like quality and notes of Bas Armagnac distilled circa 1940.

Palate: Rich. Liqueur cherries in dark chocolate, more sherried fruit, ripe dark forest fruits, like a Black Forest Gateaux.

Finish: Superb, led by thick dark treacle and toffee notes and chewy wooded notes, balanced with a green fruit edge.
I don't think I got all that..
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Lagavulin 16 tonite.

Sold a machine this week so I splurged
ever forward
JBRiner

I just finished my bottle of Monkey Shoulder. I’ll probably be picking up another bottle of this. It’s just a nice friendly blended Speyside that is affordable and easily found.

That being said, I still prefer Smokey scotch’s better.
Adwyth
Rusticated

arturo7 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:46 pm Lagavulin 16 tonite.

Sold a machine this week so I splurged
My buddies are cigar and Lagavulin freaks and I'm the outcast. We get together at least once a month for 60's-70's oldies, a fire pit, a good smoke or three and our fav libation. I Iean toward the wheated whiskey's or rum and pipe, and they hold to their peated scotch and cigars. The great thing is that the important things, God, Family, and personal freedom keep us glued together whether you like Queen or Led Zeppelin, cigars or pipe. Can't wait to pop those tins this Friday and drown out those cigars!
JBRiner

I’ve been wanting to try that plantations rum. I keep buying whiskey I want to try. I need to look into the aged rims. I hear they are good...and in my area run a little cheaper than whiskeys lol.
Adwyth
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

JBRiner wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 pm I dipped my toes into scotch today. I have a bottle of Monkey Shoulder that I am in love with. I still prefer Bourbon, but the world of scotch is really big and interesting. I’ll be expanding my whiskey cabinet that’s for sure.
I looked at Monkey Shoulder last night, but then stumbled upon a bottle of John Barr. I've had the toughest time finding John Barr since about 2001. I enjoyed it regularly down in Georgia, mainly because of great flavor and the price point, but hadn't seen it much since then. It was the only bottle they had, so I snapped it up quick.

Now I do like peaty scotch, but John Barr (to me) tastes less peaty and more smooth than the other Scotch flavors I normally enjoy. It might be something bourbon drinkers could get their toes wet with.
I generally go for J&B and Dewars. John Barr is what I might call a "dessert" scotch. Tastes great in coffee, too. 8-)
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

You rang?