The official Canadian Whisky ways and discussion thread

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Tonight , After coming home from Atlanta , ive got some stuff to pop Canadian club reserve 9 year ....

Winner !!

I've been staying away from cansdian stuff , other than forty creek , because the nose is " alcoholy " and its in the flavor which i havent been into lately . Normally it doesnt bother me .. Like when drinking canadian mist and tbe like

So , this CC 9 year ..... The alcoholy is in tbe nose and I was thinking , oh well . Then i sipped it .. :)

Is it super fantastic .. Not really but its damn nice !!

A bit sweet followed by spice and then the wood emerges as the spice kinda mellows and sits there with it !

Yeah. I dig it !! 16 bucks and its very good

Im drinking it neat , btw . I'll drink it with a splash at sime point and maybe mixed . it seems a bit too good to mix but I'll get to it in a Manhattan soon , very soon , like maybe in an hour
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Riff89

So... I’ve been off the sauce for a while now but I always loved Canadians it’s just the most common whisky people drink around these parts maybe it’s heritage maybe it’s just the close proximity to Canada or maybe it’s the price point I’m not sure. Either way I’ve drank most of them and most are really quite good albeit a lot different than your bourbons and scotch’s which I also have consumed copious amounts of at times. Some of the staples of Canadian whiskey in my mind are your mid shelf stuff. Crown Royal, Canadian Club, Seagrams VO etc. these are great starters and honestly they are good enough in my opinion not to stray too far from them. I personally stayed away from the real lower tier stuff with a notable exception of black velvet original (the reserve was way better though). The ones I hated were LTD, Canadian Hunter, and lord Calavert I couldn’t stomach them but ymmv. I also climbed up a bit and tried some of 40 creeks offerings, Canadian club 12 year, Crown Royal Black and reserve. The big thing is to just drink the damn whiskey and enjoy it for what it is.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Riff89 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:34 pm So... I’ve been off the sauce for a while now but I always loved Canadians it’s just the most common whisky people drink around these parts maybe it’s heritage maybe it’s just the close proximity to Canada or maybe it’s the price point I’m not sure. Either way I’ve drank most of them and most are really quite good albeit a lot different than your bourbons and scotch’s which I also have consumed copious amounts of at times. Some of the staples of Canadian whiskey in my mind are your mid shelf stuff. Crown Royal, Canadian Club, Seagrams VO etc. these are great starters and honestly they are good enough in my opinion not to stray too far from them. I personally stayed away from the real lower tier stuff with a notable exception of black velvet original (the reserve was way better though). The ones I hated were LTD, Canadian Hunter, and lord Calavert I couldn’t stomach them but ymmv. I also climbed up a bit and tried some of 40 creeks offerings, Canadian club 12 year, Crown Royal Black and reserve. The big thing is to just drink the damn whiskey and enjoy it for what it is.
I'm a Canadian whiskey guy. When times got financially tough around here, I started buying LTD for the price point. Years later I developed a real fondness for it. Like anything, practice makes perfect I guess.

Anyway, with our finances headed in the right direction again, I've moved a little farther up the shelf and reach for Black Velvet, but there's always a bottle of LTD within reach for old times sake. It's got this vanilla thing going on that I dig.

All that said, Canadian Club 9 Year is just terrific stuff. I don't like regular Canadian Club, but the 9 year is really nice. Opened up with ice or a splash of water, I find it has almost floral overtones mixed in with the usual cast of characters. I find it far better than Crown, which, even when I could afford it, is overpriced for what it is... and in my opinion, it ain't all that.

As for straight rye whiskey, I'll reach for Old Overholt.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Riff89

Wildcat wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:04 am
Riff89 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:34 pm So... I’ve been off the sauce for a while now but I always loved Canadians it’s just the most common whisky people drink around these parts maybe it’s heritage maybe it’s just the close proximity to Canada or maybe it’s the price point I’m not sure. Either way I’ve drank most of them and most are really quite good albeit a lot different than your bourbons and scotch’s which I also have consumed copious amounts of at times. Some of the staples of Canadian whiskey in my mind are your mid shelf stuff. Crown Royal, Canadian Club, Seagrams VO etc. these are great starters and honestly they are good enough in my opinion not to stray too far from them. I personally stayed away from the real lower tier stuff with a notable exception of black velvet original (the reserve was way better though). The ones I hated were LTD, Canadian Hunter, and lord Calavert I couldn’t stomach them but ymmv. I also climbed up a bit and tried some of 40 creeks offerings, Canadian club 12 year, Crown Royal Black and reserve. The big thing is to just drink the damn whiskey and enjoy it for what it is.
I'm a Canadian whiskey guy. When times got financially tough around here, I started buying LTD for the price point. Years later I developed a real fondness for it. Like anything, practice makes perfect I guess.

Anyway, with our finances headed in the right direction again, I've moved a little farther up the shelf and reach for Black Velvet, but there's always a bottle of LTD within reach for old times sake. It's got this vanilla thing going on that I dig.

All that said, Canadian Club 9 Year is just terrific stuff. I don't like regular Canadian Club, but the 9 year is really nice. Opened up with ice or a splash of water, I find it has almost floral overtones mixed in with the usual cast of characters. I find it far better than Crown, which, even when I could afford it, is overpriced for what it is... and in my opinion, it ain't all that.

As for straight rye whiskey, I'll reach for Old Overholt.
Taste is so subjective. I know so many people who drink LTD and love it I just never could get a taste for it. I couldn’t agree more about crown being overpriced for what it is. I feel like there are a lot of great Canadians that taste as good of not better for a lower price.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

A little CC9 tonight, on the rocks. Man I dig it.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom