Magical Coffee Grinder

arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I must confess that I am a coffee snob. Between home and office, I have 5 different ways to make a cup of Joe.

As any coffee snob knows, a proper grind is a big part of the equation. As is a proper amount of grind. For espresso I weigh the beans before putting them in the grinder, and I weigh the grind that comes out.

This is where the magic comes in: The grind coming out is always weighs about 5% more than the beans going in. I figure my grinder has paranormal qualities. With the added yield, the grinder, which wasn't cheap, will eventually pay for itself. After that it will be a profit center providing more revenue to spend on coffee gear.

I'm a lucky guy.
ever forward
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

What grinder is it? It has some kind of quantum conical burrs?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
LtPiper

I am not a coffee snob - just a guy who likes a really good cup o joe! I have done just about everything in the pursuit of coffee that tastes as good as those $5+ dollar cups, but I confess, I have never been able to achieve the dream. I have done everything from buying good beans, to keeping the equipment clean, to buying a bur grinder to . . . you name it. But I am always disappointed, and I always find myself retreating back to merchants for a decent cup. :(
"It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge the fetters." - Edmund Burke
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:08 am What grinder is it? It has some kind of quantum conical burrs?
Yes, quantum burrs!

Or maybe its the POS El Cheapo spring-action scale that I bought at the Wallmart a few years back...

Nah...

Quantum burrs!!
ever forward
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

LtPiper wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pm I am not a coffee snob - just a guy who likes a really good cup o joe! I have done just about everything in the pursuit of coffee that tastes as good as those $5+ dollar cups, but I confess, I have never been able to achieve the dream. I have done everything from buying good beans, to keeping the equipment clean, to buying a bur grinder to . . . you name it. But I am always disappointed, and I always find myself retreating back to merchants for a decent cup. :(
What kind of coffee maker are you using? Temperature is critical. The optimal temp for brewing is 195-205F. Most coffee makers can't hold that window. They use a simple on/off switch which turns the heater on at 160F then turns it off at 210. As a result, most of the coffee in the pot was brewed at an improper temperature.

Most of the commercial machines use a PID controller to regulate the temperature. PID's are available on consumer machines, but you pay for it. Some coffee nuts DIY their PIDs!

If you don't want to spend $200+ for a coffee maker, get a teapot and a French press or pour over cone. Bored? Google "pour over" and fall into the rabbit hole.

If you like espresso, a simple moka pot, when used properly, will give you far better juice than you can get at StealBucks.
ever forward
LtPiper

arturo7 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:25 pm
LtPiper wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pm I am not a coffee snob - just a guy who likes a really good cup o joe! I have done just about everything in the pursuit of coffee that tastes as good as those $5+ dollar cups, but I confess, I have never been able to achieve the dream. I have done everything from buying good beans, to keeping the equipment clean, to buying a bur grinder to . . . you name it. But I am always disappointed, and I always find myself retreating back to merchants for a decent cup. :(
What kind of coffee maker are you using? Temperature is critical. The optimal temp for brewing is 195-205F. Most coffee makers can't hold that window. They use a simple on/off switch which turns the heater on at 160F then turns it off at 210. As a result, most of the coffee in the pot was brewed at an improper temperature.

Most of the commercial machines use a PID controller to regulate the temperature. PID's are available on consumer machines, but you pay for it. Some coffee nuts DIY their PIDs!

If you don't want to spend $200+ for a coffee maker, get a teapot and a French press or pour over cone. Bored? Google "pour over" and fall into the rabbit hole.

If you like espresso, a simple moka pot, when used properly, will give you far better juice than you can get at StealBucks.
I've tried just about every type of consumer coffee maker you can think of. I am currently using a Bunn I purchased in a Dept store. I inherited a Kuerig when my mother passed away and I personally think it's way over-rated and very pricey for a cup of coffee that I find to be mediocre. I don;t mind spending money for something that's quality and would drop $200 bucks for a coffee maker that did it for me. Do you have any personal recomendations for a coffee maker that you have been happy with?
"It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge the fetters." - Edmund Burke
Whistlebritches

I have a camp fire percolator that I get percolating slow and methodical.........drop in the basket,timing has to be perfect,filled with coffee and let it go for no more than 3 minutes.I can only make this work with our gas range.........our electric at work just don't do it.Best cup of coffee I have ever had.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Bloomfield restaurant machine and then transfer to thermal carafe. VBM espresso machine for everything else. Didn't want multiple grinders so I got a Baratza Sette, which does pretty well switching between grinds and is fast.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I dig coffee . Always have and always will . My ma did it to me . She went to a Barneys in miami , which was a coffee shop of exotic beans way back in the 7o's . She had a few methods to make coffee and they were all good , When we movd back to new jersey , way out in the woods , it was back to Choc Full O nuts , which back then ws actually pretty damn good , so no complaints for me

People talk , temp , grind , water etc ... I think that and the amount of coffee you use is all gonna have an effect at the end result , obviously . For me , th trick has been to experiment and when you find a mojo combo , ya stick with it .

Heres what i'll do when I try a new coffee . I have a few ways to make coffee but I generally will start with a Bunn . I grind a coffee usually pretty fine but not crazy . I'll start with half a cup and make a pot . Of course , I'll taste it and determine if more coffee is needed . A large chunky grind is better for a perk and a super fine grind is better for am espresso ... but its the middle that needs tweaking , imo . So I play with that till I find it ... if the coffee " has it " to begin with . Some coffee isnt that good ,other are really damn good and some are cosmic stellar .. kinda like pipe tobacco .

anyway , if I can make a damn good pot after finding the mojjo with the bun , than I can play with the french press , moka or even the reusable kcup thing . As far as th French press , if you like coffee with chicory ... its the way to go . I have a smaller two mug capacity french press [ the wife doesnt like it so its smaller ] and I use that to make Luzianne coffee/chicory . Anthony and I ike that stuff and call it Man Coffee and usually have some on the weekends .

Ive gotten some super fantastic coffee from Coffeee Am . They have some really stellar single origin stuff , though I have yet to try any of their blends . I imagine they are super good . You make an order , they grind it and ship it within a few hours . I accidentally happened upon their place after Id been a customer for a year at that point . Theyre located in Georgia and I had no Idea . I go inside thinking thy had a store but it was their production facility [ they dont have a store ] . The manager gave me a tour of the place and I was impressed beyond words . Excellent people and they really have it together .

Their Kona reserve is the epitome of Kona , if you like it . Their Peaberry is super choice and their Sumatra Mandheling is perfect .

I think the correct roast or best roast for a certain bean is key and thats something that is done by the pros and they each may have a bit of variance or a leap of variance , depending .

Their is no best coffee . There is only a coffee out there that you will think is best and finding it is like popping a tin of vintage Three Nuns and smoking it in the perfect Mastro de Paja ... or equivalent

Coffee , like tobacco is a wide variety with so many flavors and I like a bunch of them form cheap Luzianne to a pricey Kona Reserve . Whats funny is , I dont do flavored coffee .. I hate the stuff . Pipe tobacco .. I like every damn style
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

LtPiper wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:19 pm I've tried just about every type of consumer coffee maker you can think of. I am currently using a Bunn I purchased in a Dept store. I inherited a Kuerig when my mother passed away and I personally think it's way over-rated and very pricey for a cup of coffee that I find to be mediocre. I don;t mind spending money for something that's quality and would drop $200 bucks for a coffee maker that did it for me. Do you have any personal recomendations for a coffee maker that you have been happy with?
I have a Technivorm Mochamaster Cup-One. It makes one cup at a time which is good for me because I switch between regular and decaf.

A group called the Specialty Coffee Association of America has developed a certification process for coffee makers. There are only a dozen or so that have passed the test. Here is a partial list:

Technivorm Moccamaster, Behmor Connected Brewer, KitchenAid Coffee Maker KCM0802, KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer, Bonavita BV1900, OXO On 9-Cup and 12-Cup Coffee Makers, Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker, Behmor Brazen Connected 8 Cup Coffee Maker, Cuisinart PurePrecision Pour Over Coffee Brewer.
ever forward