Magical Coffee Grinder

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

arturo7 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:18 pm
LtPiper wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:19 pm I've tried just about every type of consumer coffee maker you can think of. I am currently using a Bunn I purchased in a Dept store. I inherited a Kuerig when my mother passed away and I personally think it's way over-rated and very pricey for a cup of coffee that I find to be mediocre. I don;t mind spending money for something that's quality and would drop $200 bucks for a coffee maker that did it for me. Do you have any personal recomendations for a coffee maker that you have been happy with?
I have a Technivorm Mochamaster Cup-One. It makes one cup at a time which is good for me because I switch between regular and decaf.

A group called the Specialty Coffee Association of America has developed a certification process for coffee makers. There are only a dozen or so that have passed the test. Here is a partial list:

Technivorm Moccamaster, Behmor Connected Brewer, KitchenAid Coffee Maker KCM0802, KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer, Bonavita BV1900, OXO On 9-Cup and 12-Cup Coffee Makers, Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker, Behmor Brazen Connected 8 Cup Coffee Maker, Cuisinart PurePrecision Pour Over Coffee Brewer.
I've got the Bonavita...brews hot and fast. Not disappointed in'er whatsoever.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:47 pm I've got the Bonavita...brews hot and fast. Not disappointed in'er whatsoever.
I've been looking at a Bonavita electric kettle for pour overs.
ever forward
LtPiper

Thanks for the recommendations.
"It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge the fetters." - Edmund Burke
Whistlebritches

arturo7 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:18 pm
LtPiper wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:19 pm I've tried just about every type of consumer coffee maker you can think of. I am currently using a Bunn I purchased in a Dept store. I inherited a Kuerig when my mother passed away and I personally think it's way over-rated and very pricey for a cup of coffee that I find to be mediocre. I don;t mind spending money for something that's quality and would drop $200 bucks for a coffee maker that did it for me. Do you have any personal recomendations for a coffee maker that you have been happy with?
I have a Technivorm Mochamaster Cup-One. It makes one cup at a time which is good for me because I switch between regular and decaf.

A group called the Specialty Coffee Association of America has developed a certification process for coffee makers. There are only a dozen or so that have passed the test. Here is a partial list:

Technivorm Moccamaster, Behmor Connected Brewer, KitchenAid Coffee Maker KCM0802, KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer, Bonavita BV1900, OXO On 9-Cup and 12-Cup Coffee Makers, Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker, Behmor Brazen Connected 8 Cup Coffee Maker, Cuisinart PurePrecision Pour Over Coffee Brewer.
After seeing this I broke down and ordered the Bonavita BV1900.Looks really simple to get a great cup of coffee.Told my wife thank you for the early Christmas........got a really schitty look?
Peacock

arturo7 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:25 pm If you like espresso, a simple moka pot, when used properly, will give you far better juice than you can get at StealBucks.
Used properly - any tips here? I use a moka pot most every day and still haven't figured out the trick to consistent coffee. Some days are decadent and Rich and others are burnt or just plain underwhelming. The burnt part is easy: I forgot it or didn't tend to it. Finding the right timing or temp is my problem
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Peacock wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:48 am
arturo7 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:25 pm If you like espresso, a simple moka pot, when used properly, will give you far better juice than you can get at StealBucks.
Used properly - any tips here? I use a moka pot most every day and still haven't figured out the trick to consistent coffee. Some days are decadent and Rich and others are burnt or just plain underwhelming. The burnt part is easy: I forgot it or didn't tend to it. Finding the right timing or temp is my problem
You shouldn't have to worry about the timing or temp. Once it's done, it makes a gurgle sound and you should take it off the burner. The way I make coffee in a Moka is to use espresso grind, and to fill the filter basket sort of over full, and then leveling it off with the edge of a butter knife/finger/whatever. I have found that if you tamp down the filter basket like an espresso machine that it over extracts and is bitter due to too much resistance. I fill the bottom of my Moka with boiling water from a kettle, drop in the filter basket, screw on the top, and then set it on the same burner that I just boiled water on. Once it starts making that gurgle sound, I pull it off and then use it however.
If I am making a normal cup of coffee, I will use 2oz of the extract and top it off with water like an americano. I will use it straight if I am making Cafe Cubano or something of that variety.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Peacock wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:48 am Used properly - any tips here? I use a moka pot most every day and still haven't figured out the trick to consistent coffee. Some days are decadent and Rich and others are burnt or just plain underwhelming. The burnt part is easy: I forgot it or didn't tend to it. Finding the right timing or temp is my problem
Not sure what you're currently doing so I'll start at the top:

Fresh coffee, finely ground in a burr grinder. It doesn't need to be as fine as an espresso grind, but definitely finer than drip. I use a burr grinder. Not sure if a blade grinder can get it fine enough or consistent enough.

Fill the basket to the top, but don't pack it.

Fill the tank with fresh water to the bottom of the valve. Don't cover the valve.

You can start on high heat but back off the burner once you get near the brewing temp.

Keep the lid open while it brews. You need to watch. The coffee will begin to flow smoothly.

The instant it starts sputtering you are done. Remove it from the heat and pour. If you allow it to sputter, you are boiling the coffee. No bueno. It level will be around the bottom of the spout.

Drink it up!
ever forward
Peacock

arturo7 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:58 am
Peacock wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:48 am Used properly - any tips here? I use a moka pot most every day and still haven't figured out the trick to consistent coffee. Some days are decadent and Rich and others are burnt or just plain underwhelming. The burnt part is easy: I forgot it or didn't tend to it. Finding the right timing or temp is my problem
Not sure what you're currently doing so I'll start at the top:

Fresh coffee, finely ground in a burr grinder. It doesn't need to be as fine as an espresso grind, but definitely finer than drip. I use a burr grinder. Not sure if a blade grinder can get it fine enough or consistent enough.

Fill the basket to the top, but don't pack it.

Fill the tank with fresh water to the bottom of the valve. Don't cover the valve.

You can start on high heat but back off the burner once you get near the brewing temp.

Keep the lid open while it brews. You need to watch. The coffee will begin to flow smoothly.

The instant it starts sputtering you are done. Remove it from the heat and pour. If you allow it to sputter, you are boiling the coffee. No bueno. It level will be around the bottom of the spout.

Drink it up!
Perfect, thanks for the description! I'm hitting all of those tips, starting with the burr grinder and ending with pulling off right when it starts spitting. Once near brewing temp how far should I back off - medium heat? I've even seen some people recommend removing it from the heat as soon as it starts brewing, though I've had cases when it doesn't fully boil if I do that. The other thing I need to experiment with is grind, I've definitely set it more on the medium side than fine and I think a finer grind will help with a richer brew.
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein