Coffee

Riff89

More black magic
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I've switched to drinking nothing but peerless coffee for the past year or so. Was in a Smart & Final store and happened to see it at a real decent sale price and I've never looked back. I buy whole bean and grind about a week's worth at a time and use an aeropress for brewing and I haven't had a bad cup yet. As a matter of fact I think I'll heat some water to make a cup now.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:07 am I've been buying this lately. It's really good.
We've had it and you're right it's good. We've picked up there orange colored can too. Think it's breakfast blend and it was good too.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Riff89

So the wife bought a new coffee maker that will allow me to make a pot at a whack again!finally! Anyway I was almost out of chock full o nuts anyway so I had to run to the Dollar store to get coffee. The selection was obviously pretty limited but they had Cafe Bustelo so I grabbed a can. I tried brewing this before and messed it up somewhere maybe too much coffee idk. So I ask you PSF roughly how much coffee should I use for a 12 cup pot (I know to taste etc) just looking for a good starting point I’m not used to brewing something ground this fine. Thanks gents.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Riff89 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:39 pm So I ask you PSF roughly how much coffee should I use for a 12 cup pot (I know to taste etc) just looking for a good starting point I’m not used to brewing something ground this fine. Thanks gents.
man this really varies for each coffee maker. I use a restaurant style at home, and I start with a level cup of beans for a pot. A plastic drip machine would never do that much coffee, so you'll really have to experiment for a few mornings to nail down what the right amount of coffee for that machine is to avoid over or under extraction. When you hit the right number of scoops you'll know and you'll have a flawless pot from then on.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

sisyphus wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:57 pm
Riff89 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:39 pm So I ask you PSF roughly how much coffee should I use for a 12 cup pot (I know to taste etc) just looking for a good starting point I’m not used to brewing something ground this fine. Thanks gents.
man this really varies for each coffee maker. I use a restaurant style at home, and I start with a level cup of beans for a pot. A plastic drip machine would never do that much coffee, so you'll really have to experiment for a few mornings to nail down what the right amount of coffee for that machine is to avoid over or under extraction. When you hit the right number of scoops you'll know and you'll have a flawless pot from then on.
Experimentation is the only way. I wouldn't even know what to recommend not knowing the machine, etc. I have confidence in you though! lol
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Riff89

@sisyphus experimentation it shall be! I wish I had my parents old Bunn restaurant coffee maker that thing cranked out killer coffee like it was nothin and fast too!

@Kevin Keith your confidence in me says far more about your judgement than it does about my ability haha.
fingall
Member in Good Standing

Riff89 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:39 pm So the wife bought a new coffee maker that will allow me to make a pot at a whack again!finally! Anyway I was almost out of chock full o nuts anyway so I had to run to the Dollar store to get coffee. The selection was obviously pretty limited but they had Cafe Bustelo so I grabbed a can. I tried brewing this before and messed it up somewhere maybe too much coffee idk. So I ask you PSF roughly how much coffee should I use for a 12 cup pot (I know to taste etc) just looking for a good starting point I’m not used to brewing something ground this fine. Thanks gents.
I'd start with 6-8 rounded Tbs (or the scoop that sometimes comes with a coffeemaker), leaning more toward the 8.
Riff89

fingall wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:27 am
I'd start with 6-8 rounded Tbs (or the scoop that sometimes comes with a coffeemaker), leaning more toward the 8.
[/quote]
I did six and it came out good but a bit mellow I may try seven next pot and see if it’s better. It’s certainly better than the last time I tried brewing bustelo in a drip. She bought a kuerig duo because she prefers to just drink a single cup of breakfast blend for her morning cup. I like the idea of the two in one but it’s kind of like a multi tool they can do more but they don’t do any of the jobs as well as the individual tool if that makes sense lol.
fingall
Member in Good Standing

We have one of those too but only my wife uses it, and yes, that does make sense. I just tried Bustelo for the first time a few days ago in a moka pot and it was good.