Coffee

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

JTWilliams wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:19 pm I don't understand why, around here anyway, if the hipsters "love" their PBR, why are they so uptight and precious about their coffee? Shouldn't they be drinking, like, Tasters Choice? Or something made in a percolator?
Heeyyyyy... Let's keep the percolator out of this discussion. No need to drag a perfectly fine way to make coffee down to the level of PBR.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:36 pm
JTWilliams wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:19 pm I don't understand why, around here anyway, if the hipsters "love" their PBR, why are they so uptight and precious about their coffee? Shouldn't they be drinking, like, Tasters Choice? Or something made in a percolator?
Heeyyyyy... Let's keep the percolator out of this discussion. No need to drag a perfectly fine way to make coffee down to the level of PBR.
Oh no, nothin wrong with 'em. Just figured their retro-ness would make it a darling of the hipster crowd.
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

JTWilliams wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 pm
Oh no, nothin wrong with 'em. Just figured their retro-ness would make it a darling of the hipster crowd.
I am just heart broken because my recently acquired corning perc died on me after 3 pots.

Honestly though.. I make coffee for the whole house in the morning, and my usual method is to skip coffee paraphernalia entirely, make it en masse in a saucepan cowboy style, and transfer it to a vacuum carafe. I've yet to find a method that can make coffee as rich and oily as cowboy coffee.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Just made a cup of Joe that's half community house blend & half community pecan praline. I can't overstate how much I love that pecan praline in everything
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Waiting for the whole pot to be made and rested for a minute. Will be drinking this gingerbread flavored coffee out of an old thermos all day. Don't usually go for flavored coffees, but I enjoy this one. ☕

Bamarick

houtenziel wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:00 pm

I am just heart broken because my recently acquired corning perc died on me after 3 pots.

Honestly though.. I make coffee for the whole house in the morning, and my usual method is to skip coffee paraphernalia entirely, make it en masse in a saucepan cowboy style, and transfer it to a vacuum carafe. I've yet to find a method that can make coffee as rich and oily as cowboy coffee.
How do you handle the grounds? Your style reminds me of camping coffee which was made in a Syrup Bucket over a fire. When it was finished some cold water was poured into the bucket and that would hopefully make the grounds sink to the bottom.

FWIW, Dad bought Sorghum Syrup in gallon buckets from a neighbor who made it every fall.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bro Uhaha wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:50 am Waiting for the whole pot to be made and rested for a minute. Will be drinking this gingerbread flavored coffee out of an old thermos all day. Don't usually go for flavored coffees, but I enjoy this one. ☕

That one would be right up my alley too. I normally do a half and half mix of a flavor and a regular to bring the flavor to more of a team player instead of star of the show
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bamarick wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:00 am

How do you handle the grounds? Your style reminds me of camping coffee which was made in a Syrup Bucket over a fire. When it was finished some cold water was poured into the bucket and that would hopefully make the grounds sink to the bottom.

FWIW, Dad bought Sorghum Syrup in gallon buckets from a neighbor who made it every fall.
My process is pretty much the same. Bring pot of water to a boil and remove from heat, add two heaping teaspoons of coffee per 8oz cup and a tiny pinch of salt. Set timer for 6 minutes, lift lid and stir at 4 minutes, add a small sprinkling of cold water at 2 minutes. When the time has elapsed, all the grounds are settled and I pour the coffee into the thermal carafe very carefully. I have a little tea sieve that I put on the top of the carafe just in case some grounds don't settle, but there usually isn't any.
Honestly, it probably isn't any different than making french press coffee, but I don't have a press large enough to make four 8oz cups of coffee in one shot.
― Theodore Roosevelt
Bamarick

houtenziel wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:12 am
Bamarick wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:00 am

My process is pretty much the same. Bring pot of water to a boil and remove from heat, add two heaping teaspoons of coffee per 8oz cup and a tiny pinch of salt. Set timer for 6 minutes, lift lid and stir at 4 minutes, add a small sprinkling of cold water at 2 minutes. When the time has elapsed, all the grounds are settled and I pour the coffee into the thermal carafe very carefully. I have a little tea sieve that I put on the top of the carafe just in case some grounds don't settle, but there usually isn't any.
Honestly, it probably isn't any different than making french press coffee, but I don't have a press large enough to make four 8oz cups of coffee in one shot.
Yep, just like the French Press.. Our Campfire Coffee was boiled instead of being steeped. That's probably the reason a spoon would stand up in it and as a teenager I wouldn't sleep for some time after drinking a cup or two :)
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Went ahead and bought the giganto can of Community American Classic and I think it might be my ideal coffee. It tastes like.. coffee. As ol' Martha Stewart says.. It's a good thing.
― Theodore Roosevelt