Coffee

User avatar
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:53 pm
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:44 pm I've switched to using the aeropress for all of my coffee needs. It's just the easiest way for me to get a consistently great cup in the morning
How are they to clean? I love my French press, but I hate cleaning it.
This post by JTWilliams liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomMaynard
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

JTWilliams wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:44 pm I've switched to using the aeropress for all of my coffee needs. It's just the easiest way for me to get a consistently great cup in the morning
How are they to clean? I love my French press, but I hate cleaning it.
Crazy easy to clean. Press the coffee into the cup, remove the filter cap jobber, press the grounds and filter out into the trash. Rinse it off & you're good to go for round 2
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 3):
JTWilliamsFr_TomMaynard
"Sleeping bags on the floor, a roaring fire. It’ll be just like the time they kicked me out of the sporting goods store." Homer J Simpson
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

houtenziel wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:17 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:44 pm I've switched to using the aeropress for all of my coffee needs. It's just the easiest way for me to get a consistently great cup in the morning
We have used an aeropress for a few years and they are pretty great. My only gripe is that to get a decent cup of coffee you have to make a small amount of strong coffee and then do a dilution. The coffee always ends up tasting decent, but it always feels a bit thinner than perked or even pour over. For the speed to cup though, I don't think it can be beat.
My current recipe for success is 1 scoop of peerless espresso roast + one scoop of Community pecan praline, inverted aeropress, 4:30 soak, press through and a light step on with more hot water
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 4):
HoutenzielJTWilliamsFr_TomMaynard
"Sleeping bags on the floor, a roaring fire. It’ll be just like the time they kicked me out of the sporting goods store." Homer J Simpson
User avatar
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:53 pm
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:37 pm
JTWilliams wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:44 pm I've switched to using the aeropress for all of my coffee needs. It's just the easiest way for me to get a consistently great cup in the morning
How are they to clean? I love my French press, but I hate cleaning it.
Crazy easy to clean. Press the coffee into the cup, remove the filter cap jobber, press the grounds and filter out into the trash. Rinse it off & you're good to go for round 2
Off to Amazon I go...
This post by JTWilliams liked by (total 3):
Mr BeardsleyFr_TomMaynard
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

JTWilliams wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:53 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:37 pm
JTWilliams wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23 pm
How are they to clean? I love my French press, but I hate cleaning it.
Crazy easy to clean. Press the coffee into the cup, remove the filter cap jobber, press the grounds and filter out into the trash. Rinse it off & you're good to go for round 2
Off to Amazon I go...
I read through some of these just to get a starting point on coffee amounts and soak times
https://handground.com/grind/66-recipes ... ess-coffee
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomMaynard
"Sleeping bags on the floor, a roaring fire. It’ll be just like the time they kicked me out of the sporting goods store." Homer J Simpson
User avatar
Houtenziel
Codger in Training
Posts: 3029
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Just an FYI too.. if you don't want to hunt down filters for the aeropress, you can just go to a craft store and buy a 2.5" circle punch meant for scrapbooking and use normal ultra cheap basket filters and just punch your own. I've noticed that the unbleached paper basket filters tend to flow a little better for finer grinds than the aeropress poly filters.

Like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Bira-Circle-Craf ... 221&sr=8-2
This post by Houtenziel liked by (total 3):
Mr BeardsleyFr_TomMaynard
---------------------------------------------------------
“A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.”
― C.S. Lewis
User avatar
arturo7
Active Member
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 pm
Location: way out west

JTWilliams wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23 pm How are they to clean? I love my French press, but I hate cleaning it.
What???

Dump out the grinds, unscrew the plunger bits, and rinse everything. Takes 30 secs.

Surely, you don't use dish soap on your coffee gear?
This post by arturo7 liked by (total 3):
JTWilliamsFr_TomMaynard
ever forward
User avatar
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:53 pm
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

arturo7 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:45 pm
JTWilliams wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23 pm How are they to clean? I love my French press, but I hate cleaning it.
What???

Dump out the grinds, unscrew the plunger bits, and rinse everything. Takes 30 secs.

Surely, you don't use dish soap on your coffee gear?
I see you underestimate how far I will go to not do something, sir :lol:
This post by JTWilliams liked by (total 3):
HoutenzielFr_TomMaynard
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

JTWilliams wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:52 pm
arturo7 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:45 pm
JTWilliams wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23 pm How are they to clean? I love my French press, but I hate cleaning it.
What???

Dump out the grinds, unscrew the plunger bits, and rinse everything. Takes 30 secs.

Surely, you don't use dish soap on your coffee gear?
I see you underestimate how far I will go to not do something, sir :lol:
I hated my French press for the same reason :lol:
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomMaynard
"Sleeping bags on the floor, a roaring fire. It’ll be just like the time they kicked me out of the sporting goods store." Homer J Simpson
User avatar
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing
Posts: 2148
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:27 pm

If you need me, I'll be at the WH bar.

Image
This post by Dr Uhaha liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomMr BeardsleyMaynard
Claypril™ Ambassador
Post Reply