Bourbon--Help!

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Have a sip of this. It'll set you free.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
leacha
Founding Member

keensmoke wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 pm Buffalo trace is around $25 where I live, I love it.
I don't think there's a big "burn" to it. But part of that may just be technique. If you're sipping bourbon, you're taking a fairly small amount into your mouth at once. Not a full or even half full shot.
Roll it around on your tongue and get back in the recesses of your mouth to try to get all the nuances. Also, this one is 45% and some others go way higher - add a dash of water to open up the flavor. (Very little needed, or none at all for a 45% abv, but it may also mitigate that "burn")
Like starting with a pipe, it might just be that you need to build up your senses to it.

You cold also try ice... but that is going too far imo :>
IMO, If you do not like Buffalo Trace straight, it'll make one of the best Old Fashioned cocktails you'll ever have.
Andrew Image
Wildcrow
Founding Member

My tricks, learned through many horrible bouts of WAD, is to fill a glass with two or three fingers of Bourbon. Turn on you kitchen faucet with cool water. Quickly place your glass under the faucet and remove (quickly). Swirl the glass around and taste. Keep doing until the taste is great without a burn. If it's too watered down, add whiskey.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Thanks folks. I picked up a few shot sized bottles of different bourbons and am going to try the Jim Beam Vanilla tonight. Anyone have thoughts to share on the flavored whiskeys?
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
9 Iron
Founding Member

My 2 cents on bourbon:

Evan Williams is the Everyman bourbon. Fill a tumbler with ice, pour in a little Evan Williams, let the ice start to melt a little, and sip away. This is pretty much good enough for most days and it's mighty tasty and affordable. Around here a 1.75 liter bottle is about $16. Sipping Evan Williams is like smoking a Judges Cave. Plenty fine enough, plenty fine enough.

For those days when you need to sip something special, Four Roses Small Batch or Makers Mark (a wheat whiskey, not really a bourbon) is wonderful.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

9 Iron wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:14 pm My 2 cents on bourbon:

Evan Williams is the Everyman bourbon. Fill a tumbler with ice, pour in a little Evan Williams, let the ice start to melt a little, and sip away. This is pretty much good enough for most days and it's mighty tasty and affordable. Around here a 1.75 liter bottle is about $16. Sipping Evan Williams is like smoking a Judges Cave. Plenty fine enough, plenty fine enough.

For those days when you need to sip something special, Four Roses Small Batch or Makers Mark (a wheat whiskey, not really a bourbon) is wonderful.
I am just not a guy who likes that burn that comes with whiskey. I will try the water thing with the little shot bottles I bought today and see where that gets me. Thanks man.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

No doubt, evan williams . Its really cheap and smooth and good . The best cheap higher proof ive yet found is virgin bourbon 101 . Im enjoying some now actually
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

So that Evan Williams dose not have a big burn then?
Sweet and caramel,vanilla like flavors?
I have found out that I much prefer a single ice cube with my bourbon.
Thanks folks.
Cappadoc

Wild Turkey 101 is still a good and inexpensive pour.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Im an EW Black / OGD 114 nutcase . I"m also liking virgin Bourbon lately ................. however , if I were to recommend a bourbon to someone starting on bourbon , it would be woodford reserve . The reason is , there is nothing about it that is offensive , harsh or bad in anyway .. its very smooth and hits all the buttons and it quite a nice bourbon .... but , I think its more than 25 .I dont remember what I paid but it was higher than that but I think its worth it and its one Im confident anyone would like ... my wife isnt big on bourbon and she liked it .Everyone I know likes it . Its very easy to drink is teh thing and probably what youre after as a start

That said , for under 25 .. the two best are Evan Williams Black and Ezra Brooks ..both are priced about the same , 13 bucks about and that would give you ten bucks left to buy some MM cigars to go with it . Seriously , I cant think of any 25 dollar bourbon better than those two , though some are as good , they ust cost more than 13 bucks
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.