Bourbon--Help!

Wildcat
Codger in Training

mrpipster wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:11 pm Well folks I have to say that all I can taste in the EW is raw alcohol. No flavor just burn. I'm disappointed. I even added a small ice cube. I need something MUCH smoother. Or maybe bourbon just isnt my thing.
You sound like me. I like bourbon, but I rarely seek it out. I get what you're talking about.

Then I found American blended whiskey, which led me to Canadian whiskey, also a blended whiskey. I like 80 proof. Smooth. More rye than the American. A couple of cubes. Awesome! As for cocktails and highballs and such, more awesome! Does everything it needs to do IMO. Straight, on ice or as a mixer, it's Canadian whiskey for me.

On Ruffs other bourbon thread, he did mention one that sounded good. (The name escapes me.) It was 80 proof and he described it as mellow and light or some such. Sounded good. Then again he drinks that 114 proof stuff, so who knows?! Lol! Seriously, Ruff, if you're reading this, you're my hero. I can't enjoy it so strong as that. Don't know how you do it!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Wildcat
Codger in Training

I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I made it to the cigar bar for a drink after work today.
I had a Buffalo Trace on the rocks.I bought a Cohiba Pequeno and the drink which cost a total of $10.50.
So far its the best bourbon I have had. I read wheated bourbons are sweeter and rye bourbons are more spicey.
I need sweet vanilla and carmel type flavors. Should I be looking at wheated bourbons?
Thanks.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Whistlebritches

https://ibb.co/er2hES

Now here is some great bourbon I recently picked up.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wildcat wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:28 pm
mrpipster wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:11 pm Well folks I have to say that all I can taste in the EW is raw alcohol. No flavor just burn. I'm disappointed. I even added a small ice cube. I need something MUCH smoother. Or maybe bourbon just isnt my thing.
You sound like me. I like bourbon, but I rarely seek it out. I get what you're talking about.

Then I found American blended whiskey, which led me to Canadian whiskey, also a blended whiskey. I like 80 proof. Smooth. More rye than the American. A couple of cubes. Awesome! As for cocktails and highballs and such, more awesome! Does everything it needs to do IMO. Straight, on ice or as a mixer, it's Canadian whiskey for me.

On Ruffs other bourbon thread, he did mention one that sounded good. (The name escapes me.) It was 80 proof and he described it as mellow and light or some such. Sounded good. Then again he drinks that 114 proof stuff, so who knows?! Lol! Seriously, Ruff, if you're reading this, you're my hero. I can't enjoy it so strong as that. Don't know how you do it!
I swear , man .. the OGD 114 isnt a face ripper ... lol . Seriously . wild Turkey101 is way more a face ripper [ I like it too of course because I'm a Bourbon slut ] . Man , I wish I could magically teleport a rocks glass of it to you for you to taste it . Im not having lucj getting a hold of it rcently and its a damn shame .
With all my bourbon , I drink some the day I get it and then close the bottle up and let it sit a littl whie with some now new air in it . I'll just drink something else in the mean time and get to it in a few days . It just seems to bring out the mojo in any bourbon, and with the 114 ... omg . Man , I really think its the limit , but kep in mind I dont drink alot [ quantity wise ] , I just dont , though somtims it happens by accident and rarely on purpose . The 114 , if you were to " have a few" would have you sailing
Ok , I kinda lied , I do like getting a bit hammered now and then but not too often
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I guess I forgot to post this yesterday.
I went to a Total Wine and More store yesterday and the lady working the whiskey section let me try 2 different bourbons. I cant remember what one of them was named but,I did buy a bottle of one she let me try.
Its South Shot Small Batch Bourbon Whisky. Its 80 proof and man this really tastes good to me. At $11.99 for a 750 ml. bottle a good price also.
Also upon a recommendation from a co worker I bought a half pint of Gentleman Jack. I like this one also.
Thanks for all the help and patience with me everyone!
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

mrpipster wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:40 pm I guess I forgot to post this yesterday.
I went to a Total Wine and More store yesterday and the lady working the whiskey section let me try 2 different bourbons. I cant remember what one of them was named but,I did buy a bottle of one she let me try.
Its South Shot Small Batch Bourbon Whisky. Its 80 proof and man this really tastes good to me. At $11.99 for a 750 ml. bottle a good price also.
Also upon a recommendation from a co worker I bought a half pint of Gentleman Jack. I like this one also.
Thanks for all the help and patience with me everyone!
Yay , Pip !!

Man , anytime time you find a reasonably priced bourbon you like .... the angels sing in Heaven !!! Enjoy ... nw Im gonna be looking for that . The nearest Total wine store is 70 miles away , so I rarely get there .... when I do , my bank account takes a major hit [ I freakin love it ]
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.