Peterson vs Vauen

BriarorBust

Hi there

I’m relatively new to pipe smoking (about 8 months) and am loving it. I’ve got a couple of cheaper pipes but I’m looking to buy myself something a little bit more special. I’m fancying a bent bulldog and have currently narrowed it down to two, Peterson Aran 80s and a Vauen Empire.

I was just wondering which of the two brands people feel is the better buy? I realise every pipe is differs, but was wondering if there is any marked difference in quality between the two brands? Are you psying simply for the brand or do the prices reflect quality?

I tend to prefer 9mm filter pipes and have found 9mm versions of each.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

BriarorBust wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:14 pm Hi there

I’m relatively new to pipe smoking (about 8 months) and am loving it. I’ve got a couple of cheaper pipes but I’m looking to buy myself something a little bit more special. I’m fancying a bent bulldog and have currently narrowed it down to two, Peterson Aran 80s and a Vauen Empire.

I was just wondering which of the two brands people feel is the better buy? I realise every pipe is differs, but was wondering if there is any marked difference in quality between the two brands? Are you psying simply for the brand or do the prices reflect quality?

Thanks in advance
I have one Vauen and a small fleet of Petersons. The Vauen is in the box of pipes I am not smoking right now. The Petersons are all in rotation. I say go for the Peterson.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

My only experience with peterson's was a couple of system pipe estates that were well broken in and burned tobacco very well. I have no personal experience with vauen but I have heard plenty of good things about the brand. Sorry I couldn't be more help
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Bamarick

I have an Aran 80s as my only Peterson. It gurgles & whistles no matter how dry the tobacco is or how it's packed. I personally would steer away from that particular pipe, but then again you may well get one that turns out to be a great smoker. I have several $20.00 Estate Pipes that smoke a lot better than the "Whistling Pete".
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I have had a few Petes, but never that particular shape. I've also had two Vauens. All of them smoked just fine. I would tend to lean toward Vauen, mainly just because I've seen a few really badly drilled Peterson' at that lower price point(high in the shank, way off center, or even just blown out from drilling too fast). Also, Vauen is pretty much king when it comes to 9mm filtered pipe engineering. I will also say that Vauen's customer service is second to none. I had a tenon issue with a pipe, and not only did they express ship me a new pipe from Germany, no questions asked, but they also included a pipe tool, a pack of filters, and a pack of pipe cleaners. Conversely, I contacted Peterson about a HOLE in the shank of one of their pipes where a pit went all the way through(with pictures and a video of me illustrating that I could blow bubbles out of the side of the shank).. and they told me to get bent. Just my anecdote there, so I am a little biased.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Here ya go.. that is a nice hunk a wood right thar.

I will say though.. It's not really a fair comparison given that the above Vauen Empire is twice the price of the Aran 80s..
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

BriarorBust wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:31 pm Hi there

Thanks in advance
I don't have any Vauen but I do have 14 Petersons and I love them all. ;)
My Aran...
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
BriarorBust

That's the one. Well almost. I think the one I've found is 3268 and it's about the same price as the Peterson. It's not got the white dot.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I've never owned a Vauen but I have plenty of Peterson's. Brands are too personal of a preference to recommend in my opinion. Go with your gut.
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Another one you might consider if you are looking for a high quality 9mm pipe, is Rattray's. Here's a Dark Ale, shape 105 for example. It's right around $96.
― Theodore Roosevelt