MM scoops up Old D

Chef Benny
Codger in Training

This may be good. :o
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I can't wait to see how they manage to make those pipes look like Legends. More likely, they will just stop making OD style all together and rebrand a line or two of MM pipes already in production. MM has for years demurred from making reed stemmed pipes (even though we all wanted them) saying the reeds they need are unavailable. I'm a real Negative Ned, eh? lol
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Will be very curious to see if OD's clays continue...
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wonder what the purpose of it was ? Was OD taking a chunk of the cob market ... I dont know . The china made shit cobs seem to be more a " threat " than OD ... but I dont know .
Speaking of OD reed cobs . In an earlier thread there was a picture of the Nazi dude in Inglorious bastards with his bash pipe . The French guy in that scene was smoking a reed stemed cob and my first though was ... Hmmm , a reed stem cob in France in the 40's .. I guess . I would have pictured a Ropp cherry wood or a regular ol briar . But I get it , the French guy was a farmer and something rustic was probably wanted for that character

Anyway , it will be interesting to see what they do
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:49 am Wonder what the purpose of it was ? Was OD taking a chunk of the cob market ... I dont know . The china made shit cobs seem to be more a " threat " than OD ... but I dont know .

Tom Douglas said Dr. Grabow used to buy every competitor they could just to shut 'em down.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:15 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:49 am Wonder what the purpose of it was ? Was OD taking a chunk of the cob market ... I dont know . The china made shit cobs seem to be more a " threat " than OD ... but I dont know .

Tom Douglas said Dr. Grabow used to buy every competitor they could just to shut 'em down.
Sometimes there is smart, and sometimes there is smart smart.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Riff89

I read something that the owner of OD posted elsewhere that basically stated that he didn’t have enough time to dedicate to pipes anymore as his other business (soil testing) was booming and he didn’t want to see the quality suffer. He apparently approached Phil because he wanted to keep it going. Apparently MM not only plans on keeping it going but there is talk of expanding the clay pipe line.
Riff89

Speaking of OD reed cobs . In an earlier thread there was a picture of the Nazi dude in Inglorious bastards with his bash pipe . The French guy in that scene was smoking a reed stemed cob and my first though was ... Hmmm , a reed stem cob in France in the 40's .. I guess . I would have pictured a Ropp cherry wood or a regular ol briar . But I get it , the French guy was a farmer and something rustic was probably wanted for that character

First thing I noticed in that scene as well and to be honest probably nobody but us pipe nerds knew the difference. Sometimes ignorance is bliss it’s a shame to have an entire movie ruined over one corn cob pipe but you can’t unsee something that horribly out of place.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:22 am I can't wait to see how they manage to make those pipes look like Legends. More likely, they will just stop making OD style all together and rebrand a line or two of MM pipes already in production. MM has for years demurred from making reed stemmed pipes (even though we all wanted them) saying the reeds they need are unavailable. I'm a real Negative Ned, eh? lol
Negative perhaps, but probably correct. I'm glad I have enough cobs, although I would like a simple reed stemmed cob like Mark Twain actually smoked. Did you see where they are selling Beuchers cobs with new shanks? Complete with age cracks to give them "character"? I wonder how that cob knew it was going to be a Beucher's bowl while growing in that field so long ago. Now, thats how to be negative Kevin. Without even mentioning the prices.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Riff89 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:33 pm

First thing I noticed in that scene as well and to be honest probably nobody but us pipe nerds knew the difference. Sometimes ignorance is bliss it’s a shame to have an entire movie ruined over one corn cob pipe but you can’t unsee something that horribly out of place.
I hear ya. Those of us raised watching the old westerns while being students of old firearms have long learned to suspend belief. All sixguns are Colt 1873 Peacemakers even during the civil war. All rifles are 1892 Winchesters for the cowboys and Indians. 1873 Springfields when a Revolutionary War musket is called for.