Recommendations needed for a new pipe that smokes cool, that either comes with filters or with room to fashion a filter.

Legion

Whalehead King wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:34 pm
Legion wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:54 pm A look at the Missouri Meerschaum co web site shows they're out of stock of the pipe I'd like (Dwarf Cobbit Corn Pipe)
Thinking I could simply purchase a curved & longer stem piece shows that that's also out of stock (Cobbit Wizard Bit)

They're nice & cheap so it's definitely worth adding one to my collection.
No offense intended, but, hold on there, Frodo. I strongly recommend a regular cob, no bells or whistles. You should buy these for the bowls and their practicality, not for their stems. A Legend, a Diplomat, a Country Gentleman. I was going to say anything that costs less than 6 bucks U.S. but I just checked their website....Holy Cow!! $13 for a cob?!??!!

Either way, it's money well spent for a cool smoking pipe that can take a lot of abuse and won't ghost. It's not called Meerschaum for nothing. Really. These are the most reliable and affordable pipes in the world----even at $13. At the exchange rate, it's still worth it.

I complain when a 50g tin costs $14.

Get one or two cobs. Try them out. Put them through the paces. I, and many other MM fans, think you'll like what you find when you do. Then, you can upgrade to the Cobbit.

P.S. I know this scene is set in New Zealand. ;)
Long before TLOFR trilogy I've been into long stems & curved stems because I find them practical to use. With a curved stem I can see what I'm doing when lighting & apart from looking really cool, a long curved stem gives a cooler smoke.
As stated in my other replies, I lose on the exchange rate & postage seems to be $USD25 regardless of size of the order. So it makes sense to buy extra stems, filters etc with the main order.

I do hear what you're saying none-the-less & intend to order several different stems for spares & to experiment. From the threads I've read members say they need to replace corn cob pipe stems from time-to-time so it makes economic sense to purchase the lot in one order.

Thank-you for acknowledging the distinction. There's always been a love hate relationship between Aussies & Kiwis; we love them & Kiwis hate us, lol (Doesn't stop them all from moving here though)
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Legion wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm
It's the blast of nicotine that I need. When I ditched the cigs for a pipe I got in the habit of just getting my hit of nicotine & the bowl is extinguished before I reach for another hit.
Just a not one filters: they will reduce the tar, but they will also reduce the nicotine.
ever forward
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

This is all speaking only from my experience here in the states. There's a dude in Italy who runs an Amazon store (possibly eBay too?) selling pipes and whatnot. If you just search "savinelli grezza" on Amazon there should be a bunch of them that pop up all from him. They have unfiltered and 9mm filtered models. Pretty sure I paid around $60 usd for one, if you want more than one send a message and see if he will cut a deal (he most likely will. At least a bit of one) The grezza line is a more refined version of their factory reject pipes that seem to have snuck a bit further into the production process before being kicked out as too ugly. They are unstained, could have some fills, but have an OK coat of wax to pretty them up. I have a picture of mine somewhere that I'll hunt down
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Here is the one I have. This one has a little more sheen than usual because I fiddled with the finish out of boredom
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

arturo7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:57 pm
Just a not one filters: they will reduce the tar, but they will also reduce the nicotine.
"note on" rather than "not one"

flippin' e won't behave!
ever forward
Legion

Kevin ...... and never heard of Filto pipes before. They've gone out of business by the look of it.

Very interesting looking pipes. Wouldn't mind having one in my collection actually.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

One of each .. a Savinelli , Grabow , Medico and Cob . My most smoked pipe ever was a Grabow that I bought in Miami at a Walgrens store . I was working down there for a few couple week trips and I spotted it for 25 bucks , I think . It was one I'd never seen before ... a straight six panel tiny Dublin bowl and it was sand blasted !! [ This was probably 6 years ago or so ] . I still have it but I broke the stem a bit , though its still smokable I keep it in my barn and smoke it when I'm there .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Legion wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:24 pm Kevin ...... and never heard of Filto pipes before. They've gone out of business by the look of it.

Very interesting looking pipes. Wouldn't mind having one in my collection actually.
Yep, out of business...Filto is an ebay only proposition.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Legion

How infuriating. Pipes & Cigars has a sale on pipes.
Found a Barracini Churchwarden.
Dr Grabow Savoy Bent.
3 cob pipes including one with a long stem.
All for just over $USD100.

Proceeded to checkout only to find that they don't ship to Australia. What the ...? The total order was just over $USD150.
What a waste of time. Guess they don't need the business.
Legion

Ordered a Savinelli Churchwarden.
a Dr Grabow Duke.
2 Missouri Meerschaum cobs with spare stems.
and tins of baccy; 100g Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal blend + 100g Mac Baren 7 Seas Red, to break them in.

Thanks for the advice guys.