Recommendations needed for a new pipe that smokes cool, that either comes with filters or with room to fashion a filter.

Legion

G'day everyone.

Well over 25 years ago, my then wife wanted me to ditch ciggies for a pipe. Thinking that I'd love a bowl or two after dinner with a port or liqueur, I feigned resistance to the idea knowing that she, a Capricorn, would push the idea.
We ended up near Central railway (Sydney) one day & the then missus just happens to notice Sol Levy Tobacconists. Pipes were displayed in wall cabinets across most of one wall.

Arranged roughly by price, cheap near the entrance & got dearer as one moved deeper into the store. The first lot I waved away in dismissal 'No, they're crap love'. Not seeing anything that I particularly liked we moved down the displays & she started blanching at the prices (Not that she'd think twice about spending $500 on beauty products in bulk & then try & convince me that she was, in actual fact, saving me money)

I've always admired curved stem pipes - straight stem pipes seem a bit reserved, staid, something the local vicar would smoke - from a not over-the-top Calabash to a Church Warden. Near the end of the display was a smaller cabinet with some fine looking pipes that didn't have a price tag displayed.
Pointing at one particular pipe, the tobacconist took out a Peterson pipe from it's Sherlock Holmes collection. A smooth bowled pipe that fit snugly in my hand. 'This is the one I'd like thanks love'. $350. Well she suddenly didn't seem so keen for me to have a pipe.

Making out like I was doing HER a favour, I thanked the tobacconist for his assistance, said 'Don't worry about then. Let's go' & walked out of the store. Lighting up a ciggie I waited outside as she purchased the pipe, lol.

For the next couple of weeks, I tried really hard to get the hang of smoking a pipe. I really had no clue re; packing, how to keep the bowl cool & how to filter the tar. Eventually a lump developed on the inside of my lower lip, from the tar I expect, & put the pipe back in it's pouch & box & put it in the cupboard where it remained until around 7 years ago.

Over 19 years ago I was diagnosed with Buergers disease & given 2-3 years to live. Smoking tobacco is said to be the cause. After years of giving up ciggies on & off, I'd had enough. My brain requires nicotine, it's as simple as that. But it was exacerbating my condition.
Taking my Peterson pipe out, I was determined to learn how to actually smoke the bloody thing. (If only I had known that there was such a thing as a pipe smokers forum! lol) It took me quite a while to get the hang of it but I got there.

My biggest issue with a pipe is filtering the tar. I hate the taste, it makes me feel ill. I'm sure that Peterson probably has spacial filters designed for my pipe & they are no-doubt not cheap. The Peterson has a chamber between the stem piece & the bowl where I stick a RYO cig filter that I've fashioned to fit (strip the paper cover, split it open & flatten it out) An inexpensive & efficient solution.

Now, if you've read this far, you're probably thinking 'What has this got to do with a new pipe purchase?' Good question.
I've heard that pipes need to be rested. I've become so accustomed to my pipe that I've resisted the urge to purchase another pipe & my Peterson only gets a rest when I'm sleeping or driving.

I need some recommendations for a curved stem pipe that smokes cool & has a space between the bowl & stem where I can position a filter.
I'd really like a Church Warden but looking at pics, I'm not sure if there'd be space to put a filter. Around $100 would be good but I could stretch that to $135 or so for a really suitable one. Thanks for any advice.
Legion

Just looking at pipes for sale at pipes & cigars where they have a sale on Baraccini Churchwardens.

None of them have a filter system. How does one deal with the tar in pipes without filters; run a pipe cleaner down the stem every several puffs or aren't other pipe smokers as adverse to the tar as I?
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Check out Savinellis. Many of them are filtered, either 9 or 6mm. They have some lower priced models that smoke incredibly well, and some higher priced models that smoke incredibly well. They use a balsa wood filter. After 2 or 3 smokes you toss it and grab another.
ever forward
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

arturo7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:47 am Check out Savinellis. Many of them are filtered, either 9 or 6mm. They have some lower priced models that smoke incredibly well, and some higher priced models that smoke incredibly well. They use a balsa wood filter. After 2 or 3 smokes you toss it and grab another.
I saw the thread and was going to recommend Savinelli. I don't use the filters, but I wonder if a Medico filter would fit in a Savinelli?
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Legion

Looks like the balsa wood filters that Arturo mentioned are easy enough to find on the net.
Billy Joe

I third the Savinelli choice.
They are reasonably priced, well made, smoke GREAT, and come in every shape that you could possibly want.
They smoke fantastic with or without the balsa filters.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:18 am
arturo7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:47 am Check out Savinellis. Many of them are filtered, either 9 or 6mm. They have some lower priced models that smoke incredibly well, and some higher priced models that smoke incredibly well. They use a balsa wood filter. After 2 or 3 smokes you toss it and grab another.
I saw the thread and was going to recommend Savinelli. I don't use the filters, but I wonder if a Medico filter would fit in a Savinelli?
Been a while since I've had a 6mm Sav to try but from my recollection they fit fine
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:50 pm
Been a while since I've had a 6mm Sav to try but from my recollection they fit fine
I have a Savinelli that I smoke filterless. I have some medico filters. I may check the fit and draw. I am not likely to try smoking with it, but the length might be wrong or something.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:34 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:50 pm
I have a Savinelli that I smoke filterless. I have some medico filters. I may check the fit and draw. I am not likely to try smoking with it, but the length might be wrong or something.
The only one I have left is a 9mm filter that I also smoke filterless. Maybe I should break it out once in a while lol
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

They fit, being six dolphin squeaks, but you have to cut them down.

Legion, get a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe for a cool, dry smoke. They ain't called Nature's Sweetest for nothing.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!