I'm a Sucker For Rusticated Pipes!

unregistered1

Hitzy wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:23 am
Lord Guyrox wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:58 am
Hitzy wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:09 pm

I was going by Tobbaco Pipes listing here, says made in Germany.
https://www.tobaccopipes.com/rattrays-b ... sandblast/
Also said made in Germany on the box. They do seem to have them made all over Europe however.
I understand.
As Rattray pipes are now owned by Kohlhose, Kopp & Co and as Oliver Kopp designs the shapes, that could very well explain the "Made in Germany". It's like the Stanwell pipes made in Italy since 2010 or 2011: the stamping now reads 'Danish Design' instead of 'Made in Denmark' rather than 'Made in Italy'. ;)
It does resemble some Molina pipes, so you are probably correct. It was a bit different from my other Italian pipes as the bowl was the smoothest I've ever seen, like it has been honed and polished it was so smooth, not a mark in it.
Guess I'll be on the hunt for a Vauen as I was after a German pipe for heritage reasons.
Any excuse for a new pipe works for me ;)
Well, I don't know if I'm correct. I'm only going by what Pipedia says about the brand. They're usually accurate but I don't know if they are 100% accurate, though. ;)
And I'm totally with you: any excuse for a pipe does work. :thumbs:
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Here are a few of my favorite rusticated pipes

Lightly brushed teardrop shanked egg

Lightly brushed naked strawberry briar (the mole rat)

The rhodey has a nice texture. Starting to get some interesting colors too
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

The stubby tomato is one of my very favorites

Of course the big paneled meer

The Sasieni / Old England rustication has a great look and feel too. I have a straight apple with the same style as well
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

I have some rusticated Peterson. A Sherlock Holmes, a Sherlock Holmes Hansom, an XL305 system and a 315 system. I LOVE the XL305 and the Sherlock Holmes because of the deep and wide bowls, they really hold a lot of baccy! ;)
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I like a rusticated pipe but, for me, it has to be super-rusticated, extra craggy. I like to feel the texture. It adds to the experience.

A polished pipe is fine but its like a dame wearing nylons. I like to feel a little stubble under my fingertips, if you know what I mean.

Full rustification, done with no care in the world but the pleasure of marling and morcelating the briar, that can produce a museum-quality pipe, a diamond in the rough. I like my rusticated pipes rough.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:31 pm The stubby tomato is one of my very favorites

Of course the big paneled meer

The Sasieni / Old England rustication has a great look and feel too. I have a straight apple with the same style as well
I love colored pipes.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I love a rusticated pipe too . I have a few " nice grained pipes though Im not excited by " nice grain " too often , especially vertical . They all kind look the same where as rustication can go in so many directions . The old savinelli alligators were excellent . The newer ones arent as good , imho .. they lack detail along the edges . Ascorti could really rusticate ... hell , the Italians are realy good at it .
@Riff89 sent me a small straight squashed tomato that he rusticated and its freaking killer . Everyone that does it does it their way and thats cool has hell . I really like Basil Meadows tight rustication . Randy Wiley has made some killer ones over the years . I rusticated a pipe once and gave it to somebody . Id like to do it again
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.