Latest Pipe Purchase 2018

User avatar
APWB
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Here are a couple more pics since I could only add four to the original post

Image

Here’s the little stand that came with the Falcon.

Image

Staring into my soul
This post by APWB liked by (total 9):
avidMr BeardsleyRusticatedFr_TomBruyere_RoyaleMikeDennisonrekamepipThelonious monkfishLongshanks
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:56 pm

APWB wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:30 pm
Went antique shopping with my wife and ended up bringing more home than her. I usually don’t like to buy stuff for myself, but they had so much interesting stuff that I couldn’t resist.

Image

This chunky and stubby Custombilt has some little flecks of paint on it, but other than that it’s in decent shape. The only marking on it says “Imported Briar,” but I’ve never seen a pipe that looks like that made by anyone else.

Image

This is my first Falcon. The pipe and a funny little stand (Santa matchbook included) were only $7.50. I bought it assuming I’d be able to just replace the bit for a few bucks, but all I’m finding online so far are entire stems.

Image

This is what I was most excited about. I’ve wanted a meerschaum pipe for a while, but I’m too cheap to buy a new one and cheap used ones are usually pretty rough. If I could choose anything, I’d get a more classic shape with lattice carving. However, this one was the right price and it’s unsmoked. There are no markings on the pipe or case, hopefully it’s block meerschaum. There was a CAO cowboy head but it was almost three times as much.

Image

Gotta have somewhere to put them.
The falcon bits can't be purchased on their own (they aren't technically supposed to be removable) but the good news is that one looks pretty easy to fix
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 6):
RusticatedFr_TomAPWBMikeDennisonThelonious monkfishMaynard
May contain lead paint
User avatar
APWB
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:59 am

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:56 pm
APWB wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:30 pm
Went antique shopping with my wife and ended up bringing more home than her. I usually don’t like to buy stuff for myself, but they had so much interesting stuff that I couldn’t resist.

Image

This chunky and stubby Custombilt has some little flecks of paint on it, but other than that it’s in decent shape. The only marking on it says “Imported Briar,” but I’ve never seen a pipe that looks like that made by anyone else.

Image

This is my first Falcon. The pipe and a funny little stand (Santa matchbook included) were only $7.50. I bought it assuming I’d be able to just replace the bit for a few bucks, but all I’m finding online so far are entire stems.

Image

This is what I was most excited about. I’ve wanted a meerschaum pipe for a while, but I’m too cheap to buy a new one and cheap used ones are usually pretty rough. If I could choose anything, I’d get a more classic shape with lattice carving. However, this one was the right price and it’s unsmoked. There are no markings on the pipe or case, hopefully it’s block meerschaum. There was a CAO cowboy head but it was almost three times as much.

Image

Gotta have somewhere to put them.
The falcon bits can't be purchased on their own (they aren't technically supposed to be removable) but the good news is that one looks pretty easy to fix
Is there a how-to out there somewhere? That’s a pretty significant hole someone chomped through it
This post by APWB liked by (total 4):
MikeDennisonFr_TomThelonious monkfishRusticated
User avatar
MikeDennison
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 773
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am

APWB wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:30 pm
Went antique shopping with my wife and ended up bringing more home than her. I usually don’t like to buy stuff for myself, but they had so much interesting stuff that I couldn’t resist.

Image

This chunky and stubby Custombilt has some little flecks of paint on it, but other than that it’s in decent shape. The only marking on it says “Imported Briar,” but I’ve never seen a pipe that looks like that made by anyone else.

Image

This is my first Falcon. The pipe and a funny little stand (Santa matchbook included) were only $7.50. I bought it assuming I’d be able to just replace the bit for a few bucks, but all I’m finding online so far are entire stems.

Image

This is what I was most excited about. I’ve wanted a meerschaum pipe for a while, but I’m too cheap to buy a new one and cheap used ones are usually pretty rough. If I could choose anything, I’d get a more classic shape with lattice carving. However, this one was the right price and it’s unsmoked. There are no markings on the pipe or case, hopefully it’s block meerschaum. There was a CAO cowboy head but it was almost three times as much.

Image

Gotta have somewhere to put them.
Wow! What a great haul!! Good for you, brother!
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 4):
Fr_TomAPWBThelonious monkfishRusticated
User avatar
Wooda
Founding Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:45 am
Location: Burlington, VT

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am

APWB wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:59 am
Is there a how-to out there somewhere? That’s a pretty significant hole someone chomped through it
Lots of how-to's about rebuilding a button.

Short version is:

1. get it really, really clean.

2. plug the airway with something nonstick. (folded up paper schmeared with petroleum jelly, stack of pipe cleaners, etc)

3. fill the hole with black pigmented Cyanoacrylate adhesive aka CA aka Superglue.

4. let set 24 hours or spray it with quickset and wait 10 minutes. Pull the greased paper/pipe cleaners from airway.

5. File down and sand to shape your button. file the inside to smooth airway if needed/wanted.

6. Repeat 3 to fill in the little holes left by bubbles in the CA.

7. micromesh whole stem to polish up to your level of acceptable shine.

8. Don't buff. Really, don't.
This post by Wooda liked by (total 6):
Mr BeardsleyFr_TomMikeDennisonAPWBThelonious monkfishRusticated
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
User avatar
MikeDennison
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 773
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Wooda wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am
APWB wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:59 am
Is there a how-to out there somewhere? That’s a pretty significant hole someone chomped through it
Lots of how-to's about rebuilding a button.

Short version is:

1. get it really, really clean.

2. plug the airway with something nonstick. (folded up paper schmeared with petroleum jelly, stack of pipe cleaners, etc)

3. fill the hole with black pigmented Cyanoacrylate adhesive aka CA aka Superglue.

4. let set 24 hours or spray it with quickset and wait 10 minutes. Pull the greased paper/pipe cleaners from airway.

5. File down and sand to shape your button. file the inside to smooth airway if needed/wanted.

6. Repeat 3 to fill in the little holes left by bubbles in the CA.

7. micromesh whole stem to polish up to your level of acceptable shine.

8. Don't buff. Really, don't.
Don't want to jump in here, since your post was for someone else. But I really appreciate how simple you make these repairs! Makes me think that even someone like me can try his hand at pipe restoration. :) Thanks again!
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 2):
Thelonious monkfishRusticated
User avatar
APWB
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:24 pm

Wooda wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am
Lots of how-to's about rebuilding a button.

Short version is:

1. get it really, really clean.

2. plug the airway with something nonstick. (folded up paper schmeared with petroleum jelly, stack of pipe cleaners, etc)

3. fill the hole with black pigmented Cyanoacrylate adhesive aka CA aka Superglue.

4. let set 24 hours or spray it with quickset and wait 10 minutes. Pull the greased paper/pipe cleaners from airway.

5. File down and sand to shape your button. file the inside to smooth airway if needed/wanted.

6. Repeat 3 to fill in the little holes left by bubbles in the CA.

7. micromesh whole stem to polish up to your level of acceptable shine.

8. Don't buff. Really, don't.
Thanks! I might just clean it and slap a rubber bit on it for now... :lol:
This post by APWB liked by (total 3):
MikeDennisonThelonious monkfishRusticated
User avatar
MikeDennison
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 773
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Just put in a bid on a lot of 15 estate pipes on the 'bay. Hoping to get'em cheap so's I can practice the restoration techniques I've been reading about here on PSF. Wish me luck!
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomThelonious monkfishRusticated
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:55 pm

MikeDennison wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:21 pm
Wooda wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:29 am
APWB wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:59 am
Is there a how-to out there somewhere? That’s a pretty significant hole someone chomped through it
Lots of how-to's about rebuilding a button.

Short version is:

1. get it really, really clean.

2. plug the airway with something nonstick. (folded up paper schmeared with petroleum jelly, stack of pipe cleaners, etc)

3. fill the hole with black pigmented Cyanoacrylate adhesive aka CA aka Superglue.

4. let set 24 hours or spray it with quickset and wait 10 minutes. Pull the greased paper/pipe cleaners from airway.

5. File down and sand to shape your button. file the inside to smooth airway if needed/wanted.

6. Repeat 3 to fill in the little holes left by bubbles in the CA.

7. micromesh whole stem to polish up to your level of acceptable shine.

8. Don't buff. Really, don't.
Don't want to jump in here, since your post was for someone else. But I really appreciate how simple you make these repairs! Makes me think that even someone like me can try his hand at pipe restoration. :) Thanks again!
It's more tedious than hard, do it enough and you'll develop your own methods. Here's a Charatan I have the luxury of owning since nobody wanted to bid on it, likely due to the stem. For just under $20 and with a little work it's all mine.

Image
Image

On topic P&C had 20% off so I grabbed a tub of SWRA, 1/2 pound of Louisiana Red, and a 1/2 pound of Anniversary Kake. Might need some jars.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 5):
Mr BeardsleyVAman32RusticatedrekamepipBruyere_Royale
User avatar
rekamepip
Active Member
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:46 pm

scored a couple unsmoked clay pipes and a matching ashtray for the one
Image
Image
This post by rekamepip liked by (total 6):
Mr BeardsleyFr_TomavidThelonious monkfishRusticatedLongshanks
Post Reply