Quality Control Going Totally Down the Drain!

Tsal
Forum Decorum

I would be pissed as well even more so that it's a Castello, for the money they charge everything should be spot on perfect, but in today's world of pipe making it's not. Having said that, if you really like the aesthetic of the pipe you should keep it and smoke it, I doubt you'll notice any difference with the draft hole off center and you can never see it once you load it with your favorite tobacco. I would be more concerned if there was a cosmetic flaw on the outside such as a dog leg cut.
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:06 pm I would be pissed as well even more so that it's a Castello, for the money they charge everything should be spot on perfect, but in today's world of pipe making it's not. Having said that, if you really like the aesthetic of the pipe you should keep it and smoke it, I doubt you'll notice any difference with the draft hole off center and you can never see it once you load it with your favorite tobacco. I would be more concerned if there was a cosmetic flaw on the outside such as a dog leg cut.
That's my thinking too. For Castello money I expect everything to be very near perfect. No high, off center, blown out drilling whether it affects the quality of the smoke or not
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
John

Maybe he let the wood speak to him like a true craftsman and worked around the fine grain :roll:
This is why I stick to cobs. I don't expect perfection and enjoy filling in the chips and voids with Elmer's wood filler.
unregistered1

It's not about perfection, or being slightly off center, really, which is not the end of the world.
For me, it's about proper craftsmanship especially when you brag that you are the best of the best.
The pipe's airhole is almost wider than a Cob's because it was bored twice, side by side.
But it still made it out of the factory. Because "The best of the best" obviously don't give a rat's ass about their customers.
The vendor bragged to me this morning about their multiple verifications of their pipes but yet, they still sold me this defective pipe.
Because they, too, don't give a rat's ass about their customers.
Well, in any case, I'm done venting. ;)
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:13 pm
Longshanks wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:51 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:32 pm Ouch. Pride of work and ownership isn't economically viable, cutting corners is though. It's the new style, Wabi Sabi, the ancient Japanese art of flaws. Chamber should be drilled over on the east side anyway, better feng shui for improved happines in tobacco prefecture.
Interesting. I hadn't heard of the Feng Shui pipe drilling method, though I have seen air-holes drilled off center.
Out of curiosity, assuming the air hole should be drilled on the east side... is that with the shank pointing north or south?
North obviously. Or not, it could be flawed, that is, perfect....
I only ask because a lot of air-holes I've seen (with shank pointed north) are drilled off-center on the west side. Other than the Sav drilling center, the two example pics provided earlier in this post were all drilled so the air-hole entered the west side of the bowl. I'm no pipe maestro, and I'm not arguing your opinion that it should be drilled to the east side; this is honest curiosity here.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Longshanks wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:26 am
Longshanks wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Interesting. I hadn't heard of the Feng Shui pipe drilling method, though I have seen air-holes drilled off center.
Out of curiosity, assuming the air hole should be drilled on the east side... is that with the shank pointing north or south?
I only ask because a lot of air-holes I've seen (with shank pointed north) are drilled off-center on the west side. Other than the Sav drilling center, the two example pics provided earlier in this post were all drilled so the air-hole entered the west side of the bowl. I'm no pipe maestro, and I'm not arguing your opinion that it should be drilled to the east side; this is honest curiosity here.
I honestly can't tell if you're taking me seriously.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ooookkayy, now I see. When I looked at your comparison photos it led me to take a much closer look - it was really hard to judge size, so it didn't look nearly as bad on it's own. That draft is huge, and I see the two amateur hour drilling attempts as well.. I will tolerate some deviation in the location of the draft hole, but I will not tolerate a draft hole that is massively wallowed out like that in any pipe I own(not even a basket), so I understand your extreme displeasure with Castello. Zooming way in, and you can see the sort of sideways 8 draft from two attempts at drilling. Upon seeing that up close, it's hard to not be royally pissed for you.

“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:46 am
Longshanks wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:26 am

I honestly can't tell if you're taking me seriously.
LOL
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Shit happens . Generally , they make a very fine pipe thst smoke fantastic . When drilling the draft hole , if youre in a rush , the bit can haved a tendancy to not go straight . The guy making it hurried more than likely . Briar is hard dence stuff and there's a pace that shpuldntg be sped up on . If it were as Medico , I'd be ok with it .. oddly enough , Medicos are drilled pretty damn good and they're 30 bucks . A pipe in this price range should have the basic engineering down . Id get credit for it , return it and pick another pipe
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Two things can happen from a misaligned draft hole.
1. The tenon does not line up and can cause a hot turbulent smoke resulting in wet tobacco and gurgling.
2. It may annoy the heck out of you if it does not pass a pipe cleaner effortlessly.
The Troll Whisperer