Quality Control Going Totally Down the Drain!

unregistered1

Good man. Bless your heart.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I'm going to be the odd man out here, but I wouldn't chalk up Castello as garbage based on this one bad pipe. They have many decades of pipe making experience and they produce very high quality pipes. If anything the vendor should have selected their stock with a better eye. I hope they resolve this for you with a proper replacement.
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:08 pm I'm going to be the odd man out here, but I wouldn't chalk up Castello as garbage based on this one bad pipe. They have many decades of pipe making experience and they produce very high quality pipes. If anything the vendor should have selected their stock with a better eye. I hope they resolve this for you with a proper replacement.
I am not takin a stance here, since I really have no horse in the race, but:
So, for those that are considering buying a Castello? For owning three and two presenting defective borings and one having a super thin stem...
I think that two out of three having issues would probably put me off them also. I am sure there are some super amazing Castello pipes out there, but I would never expect drilling issues from a pipe maker that has this on it's front page :
His aim was to produce a pipe which was technically and aesthetically at the absolute summit of the quality "parametro". This quality means many things which are hard to explain. It means working only and exclusively the best briar, that is: extra-extra. Knowing how to work at the right moment, not before or after. Knowing how to work with respect for precise parameters of functionalism, aesthetics and good taste.
I am curious, since I really have no inside knowledge of how vendors buy pipes - When they buy stock, do they generally look through all the pipes for QC stuff and send the bad ones back? Is there really that bad of QC at the production points that the vendors have to police their own stock that closely? I am genuinely curious if this is the case, not trying to be a smart ass. If so, then maybe all our perceptions of pipe brands really comes down to vendors keeping a watchful eye out for the sake of their customers?
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

houtenziel wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:28 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:08 pm I'm going to be the odd man out here, but I wouldn't chalk up Castello as garbage based on this one bad pipe. They have many decades of pipe making experience and they produce very high quality pipes. If anything the vendor should have selected their stock with a better eye. I hope they resolve this for you with a proper replacement.
I am not takin a stance here, since I really have no horse in the race, but:
So, for those that are considering buying a Castello? For owning three and two presenting defective borings and one having a super thin stem...
I think that two out of three having issues would probably put me off them also. I am sure there are some super amazing Castello pipes out there, but I would never expect drilling issues from a pipe maker that has this on it's front page :
His aim was to produce a pipe which was technically and aesthetically at the absolute summit of the quality "parametro". This quality means many things which are hard to explain. It means working only and exclusively the best briar, that is: extra-extra. Knowing how to work at the right moment, not before or after. Knowing how to work with respect for precise parameters of functionalism, aesthetics and good taste.
I am curious, since I really have no inside knowledge of how vendors buy pipes - When they buy stock, do they generally look through all the pipes for QC stuff and send the bad ones back? Is there really that bad of QC at the production points that the vendors have to police their own stock that closely? I am genuinely curious if this is the case, not trying to be a smart ass. If so, then maybe all our perceptions of pipe brands really comes down to vendors keeping a watchful eye out for the sake of their customers?
You have a point.

When it comes to high grade pipes, yes, they should be selecting only the best pipes and sending back duds if they really care about their customers.
I've bought pipes from a vendor overseas and had to send one back, when I questioned them about it they told me it was a beautiful piece!? I stopped buying from them.
The Troll Whisperer
Bullwinkle

So, what has your vendor had to say about your situation?
unregistered1

Bullwinkle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:45 am So, what has your vendor had to say about your situation?
He bragged about how thorough they are with their pipes. According to him, they conduct multiple checks on the pipes.
He also said I am free to return the pipe to them at my own cost for a refund excluding their shipping cost.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Lord Guyrox wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:16 am
He also said I am free to return the pipe to them at my own cost for a refund excluding their shipping cost.
That is some bs right there. You should not be responsible for any shipping charges.

If you bought the pipe with a credit card get them involved.
ever forward
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bullwinkle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:45 am So, what has your vendor had to say about your situation?
He bragged about how thorough they are with their pipes. According to him, they conduct multiple checks on the pipes.
Seems to me that if you received the pipe and it was engineered properly and you just weren't happy with the size or look or some cosmetic issue, losing the shipping costs would be understandable. But with it being drilled poorly they should eat the cost
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

It's funny how people can't tell the difference between a good pipe or a dud, shows you where their heads at... I'm sure they lost a valuable customer based in that response.
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:26 pm
It's funny how people can't tell the difference between a good pipe or a dud, shows you where their heads at... I'm sure they lost a valuable customer based in that response.
Retail is all about turn and burn. Get the product in and get it sold, get your investment back asap. The customer does the quality control check and in some cases the research and development for the product lol.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin