Do You Have Prince Albert In A Can?

Try Cob

Of course you do. I didn't - not until a week or so ago, when an order of fourteen, or so, different tobaccos arrived on my doorstep. So how does someone who has smoked more decades than he hasn't miss PA his whole life? I don't know. Just didn't sample any when I found one I liked on the third try. Odd, for me, because I generally appreciate variety (who doesn't?). So I have all these aromatics and blends of flakes and such that I've been sampling, finally getting 'round to PA a day or two ago. I posted that it was okay, it had its moments.

Well, I just went out for a smoke an hour ago, and I recalled the PA smelling and tasting like tobacco - and failed to notice any obvious flavorings like vanilla, chocolate or tutti-frutti, Oh, Rudy, and I like tobacco - was in the mood for tobacco, so loaded the Joyoldelf-Pear with PA, and hit the veranda, lights dim in the night at 0200 hours. Lit up.

PA in the wood pear had me somehow a touch nostalgic for an era in which I never lived... there ought to be a word for that... is there? Not coming to mind. PA tastes good in this pipe... but I can't identify any other flavor than tobacco, and I'm ignorant about it - I can't tell what type tobacco, for instance. Can it really be unflavored tobacco? I think so.

Regardless, I fully enjoyed the smoke and dottle all ash. It tastes like good tobacco to me, a man's smoke. I remember thinking just that. Then I thought it would make a nice mixer, too. Need to order a large tin of this. But sometimes a man just wants a manly smoke of tobacco, and this isn't a bad choice. Tough men, rough men...

Pawns

by Try Cob

Child of spirit, born of human flesh,
I walk upon the massive, sacred stone,
and taste this air I breathe into my breast.
And feel the jarring work within my bones.

One! And two! And three! And four!
And one! And two! And three! Once more
I swing the scythe, or sledge or axe
in rhythm with a million others' backs.

We pull the ropes, we melt the iron
and forge the grueling chains of Industry,
to listen to some fellow in a suit
explain this is the way that it must be.

We laugh into his face, collect our pay,
and meet on Friday nights down at the pub
wherein we dance and fight like men at play,
stalwart men with work and play both rough.

Children of the spirit, born of human flesh,
we walk upon this mass of molten rock;
seething inner core with cooling outer crust,
the muscled stock working as it must.

And now you can tell me about the really manly smoke I need to try on for size.
Forget the past for it no more holds sway;
forget the future once you thought so bright
Middle Earth

I have a tub or two
But the cans are special

"Prince Albert in a can"
The brand is the basis of a practical joke, usually made in the form of a prank call. The prankster typically calls a store and asks if they have "Prince Albert in a can". When the unsuspecting clerk responds "Yes" (because the tobacco is typically packaged in a can, though other forms of packaging also existed), the caller follows up with, "Well, you'd better let him out!", or similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Albert_(tobacco)

Try Cob

I was once a twelve year old kid making those calls.

After smoking some last night I checked and at least found that it is burley with some Cavendish (was it white?) No other flavoring mentioned. Smoked more a few minutes ago.
Forget the past for it no more holds sway;
forget the future once you thought so bright
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

I buy PA by the tub because I think it tastes better. It's one of those blends that when you can't decide what to smoke, it fits the bill. It just has that nostalgic feeling for me. Try mixing a pouch of Prince Albert with a pouch of Carter Hall. Put it in a mason jar for a week. You'll love the combination.
avid

guess i should order some
insufferable filter guy
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I like PA, too. It's like mac-n-cheese. (Not the gourmet variations) Just Comfort. Trouble is, it's bloody pricey for what it is. So I've been smoking Duke Albert, Sutliff's match for PA...and really, it's pretty close.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Prince Albert is my favorite smoke. I smoked a lot of the metal tins back in my day and had to shift to the foil pouches when those lovely tins became unavailable. Not without a lot of grumbling and grousing on my part. Now I order the tubs and finally had to invested in a tobacco pouch. Its a smoke for those who love burley without a lot of aromatic addatives interfering with the tobacco taste. Smooth mild and tasty. It won't awe you with ever changing flavors or transport you to any exotic locations unless you consider a Kentucky burley barn to be one. Honest and forthright in taste and ease of smoking it fills a place among the old OTC blends that would be hard to replace. The closest would be Carter Hall. No slouch in its own right.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Lostdog5152 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:50 am Prince Albert is my favorite smoke. I smoked a lot of the metal tins back in my day and had to shift to the foil pouches when those lovely tins became unavailable. Not without a lot of grumbling and grousing on my part. Now I order the tubs and finally had to invested in a tobacco pouch. Its a smoke for those who love burley without a lot of aromatic addatives interfering with the tobacco taste. Smooth mild and tasty. It won't awe you with ever changing flavors or transport you to any exotic locations unless you consider a Kentucky burley barn to be one. Honest and forthright in taste and ease of smoking it fills a place among the old OTC blends that would be hard to replace. The closest would be Carter Hall. No slouch in its own right.
Great post, l-dog.
ever forward
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Who is gonna break it to [mention]Lostdog5152[/mention] that the future of PA is in doubt?...
Better stock up, brother.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Dr Uhaha wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:10 pm Who is gonna break it to [mention]Lostdog5152[/mention] that the future of PA is in doubt?...
Better stock up, brother.
What in pure unaduterated foolisness are they doing! Some people with less restraint than me will probably complain about the management at Middleton, but I got nothing against the stupid, shortsigted, ignorant, culture canceling, bean counting toads. I like Carter Hall alright, but they can stuff that too. Preferably the large tubs. Sideways.