My First Time...

Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

...Trying MacBaren Navy Flake! I went to my B&M to pick-up one of them there plastic tubs of Prince Albert. I hate buying it local 'cause of how it expensive it is, but I do like to support the B&M and the online places I frequent haven't had it in awhile. I usually only buy a few things at the B&M, their tobacco blends, cigars, pipes, the occasional tin, etc. But I digress; they didn't have P.A. either, total shock! After a moment of codgerly grumbling, I started looking around at other stuff. The guy working there said that all tins were 30% off... so I decided to try something new. I had actually found a really nice used/refurbished Kaywoodie in their basket pipe section for $25 so I was going to get that already. I grabbed a couple of packs of Long's Extra Absorbent Pipe Cleaners, (is there really any other kind?), two pouches of P.A., a pack of Avanti cigars, a tin of Dan Tobacco's Independence and the MacBaren Navy Flake. (pics on Monday 'cause, I know, I know: pics or didn't happen ;) ) But anyway, I really like the Navy Flake and wish I'd tried it years ago! Tried it last night while watching T.V. Very Virginia forward to my taste, which I love. Moisture level was perfect, not too dry or too wet. Flakes hold together well when removing from the tin but crumbled nicely between the fingers when pressure applied. A flavorful smoke, strong but not harsh; smooth even. Room note was what I have come to expect from Virginias, I enjoy it. Very smoky tobacco, filled the room like a light fog, great for making smoke rings! (if I didn't have the backdoor and windows open it might have been too much) I smoked two bowls in one of my meers and one bowl in a small clay I got on ebay years ago. So, if you like Virginias, and you haven't tried the MacBaren Navy Flake, check it out! I definitely will be adding this to my list of "this should always be in your cellar tobaccos"! Highly recommend.
Billy Joe

Nice review. Love the Navy Flake.

You should enjoy that Independence too. Dan tobacco makes some awesome blends, and I've never seen them at a B & M.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I enjoy Navy Flake and appreciate the review.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I liked the review and I like MB Navy Flake. I almost never buy it because it's expensive to me but it is tasty.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Of course the title of this thread made me think, "in the back seat of a Karman Ghia...."
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

MB Navy is a classic ... Im glad you discovered it because it is so very very good ! Its a must try blend ............... which gives me a thread idea
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Whalehead King

Sounds like you've got a nice B&M. Mine doesn't have the selection of OTCs or Parodi cigars. It's very cigar-oriented on the handmade side. They have a coupla shelves of pipe tobacco tins, some house (Lane) blends jars, two or three real house blends in bulk, and a couple of cases of Peterson pipes. Basket pipes? Not in New Orleans. A refurbished Kaywoodie? That would be like finding a gold nugget washed up on the batture, here. (The batture is the land between the levee and the river.)

I haven't tried the Navy Flake but I do like MacBaren blends. I'm partial to the Seven Seas blends. MacB is a real tobacco company.

Mac Baren is also an adolescent Italian rapper:

I prefer the pipe tobacco to the music. According to Wikipedia, the company employs 140 people, has been family-owned since 1887, and, yep, they are still make everything in Denmark. This is a case of something not rotten in the state of Denmark.

Thanks for the review!
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Whalehead King wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:30 pm Sounds like you've got a nice B&M. Mine doesn't have the selection of OTCs or Parodi cigars. It's very cigar-oriented on the handmade side. They have a coupla shelves of pipe tobacco tins, some house (Lane) blends jars, two or three real house blends in bulk, and a couple of cases of Peterson pipes. Basket pipes? Not in New Orleans. A refurbished Kaywoodie? That would be like finding a gold nugget washed up on the batture, here. (The batture is the land between the levee and the river.)

I haven't tried the Navy Flake but I do like MacBaren blends. I'm partial to the Seven Seas blends. MacB is a real tobacco company.

Mac Baren is also an adolescent Italian rapper:

I prefer the pipe tobacco to the music. According to Wikipedia, the company employs 140 people, has been family-owned since 1887, and, yep, they are still make everything in Denmark. This is a case of something not rotten in the state of Denmark.

Thanks for the review!

Yeah Park Lane Tobacco in Clifton Park, NY is a pretty great spot for cigars, pipes and pipe tobacco. I've enjoyed a couple of the Seven Seas blends myself, they definitely make some great tobacco!
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

ImageImageImage
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

Pics as promised! I know, I know, these pics suck! I couldn't find my camera so I went with cell pics, lame. Anyway, I've got two ideas for posts so when I find my camera I'll post some nice pics of this Kaywoodie and my cracked meer.