Latest Tobacco Purchase 2021

Armycw2

fingall wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:40 pm My word, I sure hope she's beautiful inside
Any port in a storm
“If you can't send money, send tobacco.” GEN George Washington
CoreyR
Founding Member

Riff89 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:22 pm Image

I grabbed these for nostalgia today. We used to smoke these when we were teenagers because we thought we were badasses. I normally wouldn’t buy them because they are over ten dollars a pack now but our little grocery store had em marked down to 5 bucks. Not nearly as harsh as I remember them being but not really super smooth either. I really need to quit the cigs completely.
My father used to smoke a carton of those things a day and blow smoke in everyones faces because he know we didn't like the smoke.
It is the primary reason that I cannot stand cigarette smoke to this day and that I have never even considered touching the things.
It has also led me to try to be extremely curious in my pipe smoking, within reason.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

My father smoked Philip Morris non-filtered. I'm not sure they even had a filtered version. We often made a trip to visit relatives that took about a five hour drive. Imagine being trapped in the back seat of a 1956 Ford with the driver chain smoking the entire way. No air conditioning and the windows rolled up in the winter. The only pleasure I got was watching the peculiar shades of green my sister's face turned along the way. Still can't stand to be enclosed with a cigarette smoker. Pipe smoke does not bother me, probably because I usually am the one fogging up the atmosphere. I always ask before I fire up my pipe if I have a passenger. If kids are on board I don't smoke at all.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Been a bit since I bought any pipe tobacco but I caved and picked up a few tins of the small batch eight state burley, a pouch of five brothers, and 2 tins of erinmore flake just for giggles (and free shipping lol) Lord willing I'll actually have time to smoke some soon
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Puff nstuff

I have a few things coming tomorrow; I'm still getting my sea legs and trying to figure out what I like and what works best for me. I actually only have 4 tobacco blends in my possession now - SWR, John Bull, C&D Byzantium, and some heavily flavored stuff from a local shop that someone gave me (that I am not smoking).
I love the pouch note of the JB and Byzantium, and am enjoying smoking the SWR - it's easy and smooth for a novice like me. But my nose sure seems pulled toward the Balkan/English blends.
I ordered more JB, some SWRA, the MM American Patriot, and some Drexel VIII, based on FrTom's review - so my curiosity was intrigued there.
Mostly I'm just looking for a couple things I can enjoy regularly and not worry about them biting my mouth; it's taking me a while to get the hang of it.
Practice, practice, practice...
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Puff nstuff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:55 pm I have a few things coming tomorrow; I'm still getting my sea legs and trying to figure out what I like and what works best for me. I actually only have 4 tobacco blends in my possession now - SWR, John Bull, C&D Byzantium, and some heavily flavored stuff from a local shop that someone gave me (that I am not smoking).
I love the pouch note of the JB and Byzantium, and am enjoying smoking the SWR - it's easy and smooth for a novice like me. But my nose sure seems pulled toward the Balkan/English blends.
I ordered more JB, some SWRA, the MM American Patriot, and some Drexel VIII, based on FrTom's review - so my curiosity was intrigued there.
Mostly I'm just looking for a couple things I can enjoy regularly and not worry about them biting my mouth; it's taking me a while to get the hang of it.
SWRA is very different from SWR. I prefer the aro with its combination of Dutch liqueur top notes. They really are two different blends even though they are both burley-based. I think the upcharge for SWRA is worth it.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Puff nstuff

Citizen B wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:14 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:55 pm I have a few things coming tomorrow; I'm still getting my sea legs and trying to figure out what I like and what works best for me. I actually only have 4 tobacco blends in my possession now - SWR, John Bull, C&D Byzantium, and some heavily flavored stuff from a local shop that someone gave me (that I am not smoking).
SWRA is very different from SWR. I prefer the aro with its combination of Dutch liqueur top notes. They really are two different blends even though they are both burley-based. I think the upcharge for SWRA is worth it.
Thanks for the input. I kept reading on this blog about how irresistible the SWR aromatic is, how it makes the women folk weak in the knees, etc., so I couldn't resist. Plus I wanted to add an aromatic to my available choices to see how it works for me. I faintly recall smoking Dutch-style blends way back when I used the pipe before, like 25 years ago - Sail, et al.

I'd welcome any recommendations, of course.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

You will like the Drexel I suspect. There are probably people out there who do not like SWRA, but I don't think I have ever crossed paths with one. Let us know what you think!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

A suggestion. C & D Sam's blend is the mildest most non- biteing blend I have ever smoked. Too bland for me, but I would recommend it to any new smoker just working out the basics of pipe smoking.
Puff nstuff

Lostdog5152 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:44 am A suggestion. C & D Sam's blend is the mildest most non- biteing blend I have ever smoked. Too bland for me, but I would recommend it to any new smoker just working out the basics of pipe smoking.
Thanks, Lostdog - that's just the sort of recommendation I was hoping for. All the stuff I ordered came in today, plus a couple of new cobs, and I can't wait to get into them.
Lotsa good smells in that parcel :)