Sales and Coupon Codes WHO HAS THE BEST DEALS ? post here

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:34 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:14 pm
I'm with ya there, Padre. About that time I read somewhere about starting out with cobs, so I ordered a MM Country Gent and some Lane 1Q, Carter Hall, and Prince Albert. I couldn't believe the difference...the cob was so easy to smoke in comparison.

I've recommended them many times to guys curious about pipe smoking. Sadly, they've all given me this look of surprise...like it was beneath them or not cool enough. One buddy of mine even said, "I don't think I want to bother if it means starting on a cob." I suspect they all were more interested in the image of pipe smoking more than they were in actually smoking a pipe.
I have given people new cobs at work, and I keep SPRT in the office. People get low on funds just before payday, or they are between jobs. People know I smoke, and s0 a smoker will come by to see if I will give them some money for a pack of cigarettes. I will ask if they have papers, and they almost always do. Some SPRT in a ziplock and they are ready to go. If they don't have papers, I will offer them a cob to go with the SPRT. I don't think I have gotten anyone to quit cigarettes for the pipe, but I have seen people smoking the cob in town a week later once or twice.
That's some full-service ministry right there, Father! :D
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:03 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:50 pm I picked up a brushed black billiard a few years ago in a kit from P&C. I think the kit was 39.99 or something, and included a tin of Stanwell Melange and Davidoff Red Mixture. It was my first briar, and I just couldn't make it work. Lol! I still smoke it occasionally, but find it smokes hot. Not a fan. But hey... that's just me. :D
I am of the opinion that if everyone who thought he/she might be interested in pipe smoking got a cob and a pouch of CH to start, we would have a lot more pipe smokers. The learning curve is too steep to throw in complications. Finish the pouch, and you will have some idea if you are really interested or if it just seemed like a good idea at the time. There is not much invested. Cobs deliver a good smoke and are not quirky or especially variable. CH is an easy smoke that does not require drying or a special packing technique to get good results.
Heck, I still go through periodic phases of either technical difficulties, or just plain frustration with whatever I've been doing, and I fall back to CH or PA in a Legend for foolproof good smokes.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:50 pm I picked up a brushed black billiard a few years ago in a kit from P&C. I think the kit was 39.99 or something, and included a tin of Stanwell Melange and Davidoff Red Mixture. It was my first briar, and I just couldn't make it work. Lol! I still smoke it occasionally, but find it smokes hot. Not a fan. But hey... that's just me. :D
I am of the opinion that if everyone who thought he/she might be interested in pipe smoking got a cob and a pouch of CH to start, we would have a lot more pipe smokers. The learning curve is too steep to throw in complications. Finish the pouch, and you will have some idea if you are really interested or if it just seemed like a good idea at the time. There is not much invested. Cobs deliver a good smoke and are not quirky or especially variable. CH is an easy smoke that does not require drying or a special packing technique to get good results.
I've still never had that amazing experience with a cob that many others have. I guess I'm the flip side of the coin where briar just clicked with me early on
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:46 pmI've still never had that amazing experience with a cob that many others have. I guess I'm the flip side of the coin where briar just clicked with me early on
I think that's one of the many variables of pipe smoking; some things work better for some, not so well for others.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:46 pm
I've still never had that amazing experience with a cob that many others have. I guess I'm the flip side of the coin where briar just clicked with me early on
I had never really warmed up to cobs myself. They were OK but nothing special. I never tried one until I had been smoking for a long time.

Then one day, I got the bright idea to bore one out...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:17 pm

I had never really warmed up to cobs myself. They were OK but nothing special. I never tried one until I had been smoking for a long time.

And the rest is history!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I've got one of Doug's that's bored out. I will say that his cobs and the unfiltered MM cobs treat me much better than the janky filtered ones
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

20% off D&R 1lb bags at p&c for you folks that may have missed the email
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

I don't consider myself a pipe snob, but cob is the last pipe I think of when travelling to the Pipe & Cigar shop. That being said, I've got no complaints with how they smoke.
Truth be told, I'd probably smoke them a lot more if they still made cob-dogs. Those things were too freakin' cool. :king:
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Longshanks wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:10 pm

I don't consider myself a pipe snob, but cob is the last pipe I think of when travelling to the Pipe & Cigar shop. That being said, I've got no complaints with how they smoke.
Truth be told, I'd probably smoke them a lot more if they still made cob-dogs. Those things were too freakin' cool. :king:
I'd love me a cob-dog or three! I'd even be willin' to pay money for'em! :D I'm with ya there, Mr. Longshanks.