Royal Yacht Gone the Way of all Flesh

zkeeper

As most know, if they cared about Dunhill's Royal Yacht, it's just gone. Had stored much for time, but alas, it has been depleted. BUT oddly enough have found Rattray's OLD GOWRIE to be a fine substitute. No idea if the blends are the same...never worry about such, as it is taste and no tongue burn that appeals to me. It appears I shall not make do. I open tin, rub out and use a small grinder to cut into nice small bits. Never have been able to smoke a flake. It's like trying to keep a roll of paper lit, no matter what technique I have tried. After grinding, let it dry out for a couple of days, it has been lovely. Your mileage may differ; am just thankful of heart to be blessed with a good substitute. :thumbs:
"On land or sea, at home abroad, I smoke my pipe and worship God." J. S. Bach
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ive been out of the loop a few months . Has dunhill finally stoped production?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:06 pm Ive been out of the loop a few months . Has dunhill finally stoped production?
Yessir. If I'm not mistaken their production stopped quite a while back. Now I think all the stocks have been depleted and its gone like a fart in the wind
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:56 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:06 pm Ive been out of the loop a few months . Has dunhill finally stoped production?
Yessir. If I'm not mistaken their production stopped quite a while back. Now I think all the stocks have been depleted and its gone like a fart in the wind
That's too bad . Hopefully it will get picked up ...... again . Dunhill Flake was So exceptional .. my wife will be upset . I think last time it ceased , it took a year for someone to pick it up . Maybe it will get picked up again ( ? )
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:24 pm
That's too bad . Hopefully it will get picked up ...... again . Dunhill Flake was So exceptional .. my wife will be upset . I think last time it ceased , it took a year for someone to pick it up . Maybe it will get picked up again ( ? )
K&K did pick it up under modified but totally obvious names. From what they told me in an email, they probably aren't going to bring it to the US due to all the legal entanglements. If you have a friend in Germany, you can probably still get some.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

houtenziel wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:24 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:24 pm

K&K did pick it up under modified but totally obvious names. From what they told me in an email, they probably aren't going to bring it to the US due to all the legal entanglements. If you have a friend in Germany, you can probably still get some.
Thats good news
unregistered1

I did manage to stash a bit on the Royal Yacht. You say you find Old Gowrie to be a substitute, really? I have some tins in my cellar, I will have to check this out.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Charatan is picking up some Dunhill blends too, probably only available in the UK, may or may not make it here.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

They're available through gqtobaccos.com if you know someone overseas that can recieve and then ship them to you. Pricey though. Charatan Royal Escape is the name.