Latest Tobacco Purchase 2018

Legion

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:18 pm
Legion wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:01 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:47 pm I always got kind of a baking spice vibe off of Mark Twain but don't trust my tasters, they're kind of crazy like the rest of me
My first impression was an aroma that was vaguely familiar, Plumcake maybe?
Then when I went back for another whiff, I got a different impression, like maybe an Amphora that I once smoked in my youth. I really can't pin it down.

It's interesting reading the differences of impressions & taste in reviews.
Latakia is a good example; some describe as 'woody & spicy' while I think it smells of asphalt, burning tyres & butt, lol.
First time I tried latakia I thought the taste and smell was wretched too. My first blend with it was Frog Morton Cellar, absolutely hated the lat but there was other parts of it that were enjoyable. So I waited a while and tried again, and again, and again with each experience improving until I finally got my head wrapped around it. Now it's become a component that I really enjoy but it definitely wasn't love at first sight
Now that it's a few months later ........... I don't know why but I occasionally went back to the bag of Becks o'l Bastard to assault my senses. It's a bit like when one gets something stinky on their finger. You KNOW it's going to stink but for some unknown reason, we have to sniff to find out just how stinky it is.

As I wrote in another thread; I can't afford to waste a skerrick of tobacco so I didn't throw it out. I was reading that many who like a mild English blend, really dislike lat-bombs.
This got me thinking; Blending the B ol' Bastard 50/50 with straight virginia & adding a small amount of perique, I found that I actually like the watered down version. (As long as I don't smell it first. It still smelt fairly bad but not quite as offensive) It's not something that I could smoke all day but I do enjoy a small bowl every night.
As the amount dwindled, I blended in a little more virginia just to stretch it out.

It's almost gone now & as English blends can't be found at tobacconists here, I'm going to miss it.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Iv got such a stash that i really havent bought much tobacco in a good while . What I do buy is basically the OTC stuff I enjoy .. SWR , SWRA , SPBC and PA soft Vanilla . I generally smoke MB GE but I havent had to purchase any in a couple years I guess . Jeez , just thinking about MB GE makes me want to go light a bowl
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
avid

Legion wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:33 pm
Splodger wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 pm Laid in some stock. Next post should see three of each. Can't find 221B Baker St for love nor money. Don't tell the wife...

I'm green with envy.
For shame
insufferable filter guy
Splodger

avid wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:15 am
Splodger wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 pm Laid in some stock. Next post should see three of each. Can't find 221B Baker St for love nor money. Don't tell the wife...

I'm green with envy.
For shame
Well, considering how little I smoke, and how many other good tobaccos there are out there, it will most probably take me many many years before this lot has been smoked. If in 2028 I fancy sharing a few bowls of Night Cap with friends at the pipe club, or stuffing my pipe with a Navy Roll on my birthday, then good for me. It was an extravagance, and a serious one for me, but there is no shame in it.
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
avid

Splodger wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm green with envy.
For shame
Well, considering how little I smoke, and how many other good tobaccos there are out there, it will most probably take me many many years before this lot has been smoked. If in 2028 I fancy sharing a few bowls of Night Cap with friends at the pipe club, or stuffing my pipe with a Navy Roll on my birthday, then good for me. It was an extravagance, and a serious one for me, but there is no shame in it.

Good show. Large and interesting orders are normal for those who participate here. I'm also envious, so shame on me (too)... ;)
insufferable filter guy
Legion

I'm green with envy.
For shame
I'm green with envy because none of those blends are available here in Aus. thanks to our draconian plain packaging laws & outrageous taxes. (Now $88 for 50g. It will be $100 for 50g in a year or so)
Due to my circumstances, I encourage those of you who still have choice at reasonable prices, to stock up on your favourite blends while you're able. As much as you can.Tobacco only gets better with age & it's also a valuable trading item should shit ever hit the fan.
Imo, there's no such thing as 'too much' tobacco.

Sorry that you took me the wrong way. Hope you enjoy every bowlful Splodger.

( Might be best if I stay away from the tobacco forum. It's like waving a roast dinner with all the trimmings under the nose of a starving man [& I'm probably starting to sound like a whinger])
Splodger

Legion wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:08 pm

For shame
I'm green with envy because none of those blends are available here in Aus. thanks to our draconian plain packaging laws & outrageous taxes. (Now $88 for 50g. It will be $100 for 50g in a year or so)
Due to my circumstances, I encourage those of you who still have choice at reasonable prices, to stock up on your favourite blends while you're able. As much as you can.Tobacco only gets better with age & it's also a valuable trading item should shit ever hit the fan.

( Might be best if I stay away from the tobacco forum. It's like waving a roast dinner with all the trimmings under the nose of a starving man [& I'm probably starting to sound like a whinger])
The problem with writing for someone to read is that it's so easy to be misunderstood. I've done it many times myself. Apologies for being so tetchy. I've heard about the outrageous taxation on baccy Down Under. It's just not right. I heard recently about an outfit here in The US that will ship to Aus and not mark it as tobacco. Would save you a fortune. I'll look into it and get back to you if I can find the info again.
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Legion

Splodger wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 pm

The problem with writing for someone to read is that it's so easy to be misunderstood. I've done it many times myself. Apologies for being so tetchy. I've heard about the outrageous taxation on baccy Down Under. It's just not right. I heard recently about an outfit here in The US that will ship to Aus and not mark it as tobacco. Would save you a fortune. I'll look into it and get back to you if I can find the info again.
No worries mate, we're good.

I've been able to sneak through several pounds before they got onto me. Customs sent me a letter demanding $538 to release 16oz of Maple Rum. (If I had the money I probably would've considered paying) After several weeks I tried again & ordered 2 tins of 4th Generation 1897. According to tracking the bastards intercepted that also & I'm awaiting another outrageous demand.
At least I've got enough tobacco to last me several months.

I'm so pissed off & frustrated that I'm seriously considering going on a hunger strike & shaming the politicians on the world stage. (They couldn't care any less about their constituents but they sure do care what the world thinks)
Excuse the rant but it really is that bad.

That would be much appreciated if you could find me that link, thank-you. (Might be a good idea if you send it to me in a PM, just to be safe?)

I've got quite a few brand new antique pipes going back to the 1920s. Once I can figure out to download pics, if it's not against forum rules, I'll be asking if anyone wants to swap a pipe for a couple of small care packages. We'll see.
Splodger

I’ve never bothered to count how many Bowles I get from a 50g tin myself, with a tin costing $10 - $12 on average. How. Much do you think it costs you for s bowl?
Splodger

Legion wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:42 pm
Splodger wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 pm

No worries mate, we're good.

I've been able to sneak through several pounds before they got onto me. Customs sent me a letter demanding $538 to release 16oz of Maple Rum. (If I had the money I probably would've considered paying) After several weeks I tried again & ordered 2 tins of 4th Generation 1897. According to tracking the bastards intercepted that also & I'm awaiting another outrageous demand.
At least I've got enough tobacco to last me several months.

I'm so pissed off & frustrated that I'm seriously considering going on a hunger strike & shaming the politicians on the world stage. (They couldn't care any less about their constituents but they sure do care what the world thinks)
Excuse the rant but it really is that bad.

That would be much appreciated if you could find me that link, thank-you. (Might be a good idea if you send it to me in a PM, just to be safe?)

I've got quite a few brand new antique pipes going back to the 1920s. Once I can figure out to download pics, if it's not against forum rules, I'll be asking if anyone wants to swap a pipe for a couple of small care packages. We'll see.
I’ve never bothered to count how many bowls I get from a 50g tin myself, with a tin costing $10 - $12 on average. How. Much do you think it costs you for a bowl?