Latest Tobacco Purchase 2018

User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 3854
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:33 am

kxg wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:25 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:16 am
Splodger wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:44 pm
I’ve never bothered to count how many Bowles I get from a 50g tin myself, with a tin costing $10 - $12 on average. How. Much do you think it costs you for s bowl?
Figure about 3 g per bowl. A 50 g tin is probably 16 or 17 bowls.
So, this raised my curiosity. I took an objective, though limited look at my smoking cost. Note this is tobacco cost only. I filled a couple of my pipes in a normal way; a Savinelli 320 and a Savinelli 114 KS. They are on the upper end of my average sized pipes. I filled one with rubbed out PS LBF, the other with Sutliff Mark Twain. I then weighed the contents with my digital scale. The average tobacco weight was 0.16 oz. Using my average cellar cost of $3.08/oz, if my math is correct, my average tobacco cost is right under .50 USD/smoke.

I also discovered that I need to deepen my cellar. Someone asked me the other day what my cellar goal is. I didn’t have an answer. Using the same data points as above, my current cellar (20.6 lbs) will last between 1.3 and 2.2 years. I figured 3 to 5 bowls per day, 6 days per week, 52 weeks per year. Lots of assumptions, but it gives me a general idea where I stand. I figure I’m 20% there. It also showed me that tobacco is no small investment!

Of course it also showed me that I’m a bit anal retentive about pipe smoking!
It is always good to get a data point from someone who has measured!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Islayphile
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:15 am

ODF 3.5oz tin
This post by Islayphile liked by (total 4):
Thelonious monkfishFr_TomKevin KeithMr Beardsley
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:14 am

Figured I could use 500g of Grasmere and the Mocha Strips seem like a good gamble so threw a pound on the order as well.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 3):
Mr BeardsleyrekamepipKevin Keith
User avatar
avid
Active Member
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:59 am

kxg wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:25 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:16 am
Splodger wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:44 pm
I’ve never bothered to count how many Bowles I get from a 50g tin myself, with a tin costing $10 - $12 on average. How. Much do you think it costs you for s bowl?
Figure about 3 g per bowl. A 50 g tin is probably 16 or 17 bowls.
So, this raised my curiosity. I took an objective, though limited look at my smoking cost. Note this is tobacco cost only. I filled a couple of my pipes in a normal way; a Savinelli 320 and a Savinelli 114 KS. They are on the upper end of my average sized pipes. I filled one with rubbed out PS LBF, the other with Sutliff Mark Twain. I then weighed the contents with my digital scale. The average tobacco weight was 0.16 oz. Using my average cellar cost of $3.08/oz, if my math is correct, my average tobacco cost is right under .50 USD/smoke.

I also discovered that I need to deepen my cellar. Someone asked me the other day what my cellar goal is. I didn’t have an answer. Using the same data points as above, my current cellar (20.6 lbs) will last between 1.3 and 2.2 years. I figured 3 to 5 bowls per day, 6 days per week, 52 weeks per year. Lots of assumptions, but it gives me a general idea where I stand. I figure I’m 20% there. It also showed me that tobacco is no small investment!

Of course it also showed me that I’m a bit anal retentive about pipe smoking!
sheesh, numbers guys...gotta lov'em
This post by avid liked by (total 3):
SplodgerKevin KeithThelonious monkfish
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
insufferable filter guy
User avatar
Longshanks
Active Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:13 am
Location: Kentucky

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 pm

I took P&C up on their Smoker's Pride 3-pack sampler offer I received via email. Maybe some of you did, too. There were three different flavors (cherry cavendish, black cavendish and vanilla cavendish) in 1.25 oz packs... all for $1 and free shipping. For those who don't know, it's not high dollar tobacco. Rather, it's a decent OTC tobacco in line with the likes of Carter Hall or Prince Albert. The estimated value was around $10 so I figure it was a good deal for $1.
Image
This post by Longshanks liked by (total 5):
Mr BeardsleyFr_TomrekamepipKevin KeithThelonious monkfish
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
User avatar
rekamepip
Active Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Taking notes from Fr_Tom
i finally figured out what the SPRT that he'd been smoking is
and bought a little sample myself


Image
This post by rekamepip liked by (total 5):
Fr_TomKevin KeithMr BeardsleyhoutenzielThelonious monkfish
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 3854
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:22 pm

rekamepip wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:08 pm
Taking notes from Fr_Tom
i finally figured out what the SPRT that he'd been smoking is
and bought a little sample myself


Image
You will like it. It is a solid unassuming smoke. I think it is quite good and a good value.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 5):
rekamepipKevin KeithMr BeardsleyhoutenzielThelonious monkfish
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
rekamepip
Active Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:22 pm
rekamepip wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:08 pm
Taking notes from Fr_Tom
i finally figured out what the SPRT that he'd been smoking is
and bought a little sample myself
You will like it. It is a solid unassuming smoke. I think it is quite good and a good value.
Well the bag does say Great Value and i think you are correct - it is good !
:lol:
This post by rekamepip liked by:
Thelonious monkfish
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 3854
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:32 pm

rekamepip wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:07 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:22 pm
rekamepip wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:08 pm
Taking notes from Fr_Tom
i finally figured out what the SPRT that he'd been smoking is
and bought a little sample myself
You will like it. It is a solid unassuming smoke. I think it is quite good and a good value.
Well the bag does say Great Value and i think you are correct - it is good !
:lol:
Truth in advertising for a change...
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 2):
rekamepipThelonious monkfish
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Bamarick
Junior Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:11 am

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:46 am

Longshanks wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 pm
I took P&C up on their Smoker's Pride 3-pack sampler offer I received via email. Maybe some of you did, too. There were three different flavors (cherry cavendish, black cavendish and vanilla cavendish) in 1.25 oz packs... all for $1 and free shipping. For those who don't know, it's not high dollar tobacco. Rather, it's a decent OTC tobacco in line with the likes of Carter Hall or Prince Albert. The estimated value was around $10 so I figure it was a good deal for $1.
Image
I was surfing a news site Sunday morning and came across that ad as a popup so I jumped on it as well. I've tried the Vanilla Cavendish and for my taste it's pretty darn good, especially for the price.
This post by Bamarick liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomThelonious monkfish
Just an old retired Telephone Man trying to enjoy life.
Post Reply