Ed Anderson

sisyphus
Person of Interest

Ed Anderson was the proprietor of a group on both old and new smokersforums called The Common Sewers. It was a closed group, and I remember when I got invited it made me feel like I got accepted to the country club.

The mission statement of the group was that The Common Sewers was a place where pipe collectors and enthusiasts could gather, display and discuss pipes. This was a collector's group. Whether you were into Nordh and Bang, Castello, Dunhill, or desirable yet inexpensive estates, this group was a place where you could share your passion with likeminded individuals without fear of snobbery, reverse snobbery or any of the negative backlash a collector might face on the open forum.

You might not agree with the need for a place like that to exist, but I'm grateful to Ed for providing it. The Common Sewers helped shape my thoughts as a collector, introduced me to friends, and allowed me to share my acquisitions with the only people around beside myself who might possibly care. Ed passed suddenly and I hope he's somewhere great smoking something great in something great.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Sounds like a good man, hope he's somewhere smoking something great in something great too.

I can see the need for a place like that, not everyone has unchecked egos and some prefer not to mingle much with those who do. My top ten pipes include Grabow and Mastro de Paja. I'm not impressed by money or ability to accumulate rare/exotic things though I am interested in those things. Some people with lots of cool stuff suck, others are cool, same goes for bums and anyone really. I've noticed some groups having what could be considered cliques of sorts and can come off more like a highschool than an open forum for people that are concerned foremost about enjoying pipes and tobacco. I engage in reverse reverse snobbery, gimme a 500 dollar pipe and I'll load it with Smoker's Pride, or maybe enjoy some 8 year old McClelland VA's in a beater worth less than the tin was before they closed the doors.
hemlocktree

i was so sorry to hear this news. He was a very dear friend. it has been a while. He was a very nice dude!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Rest in Peace, Ed...💨💨
The Troll Whisperer
cigrmaster
Member in Good Standing

Ed was a great guy. I was also a member of the Common Sewers and it was fun. I was the piker of the group with my Rad Davis and other American artisan pipes. Some of those guys had incredible collections and it was cool learning about all kinds of high end pipes. The conversations used to get pretty heated at times and Ed let them reach their conclusions without deleting them. RIP Ed, you are missed.
Harris
hemlocktree

i agree.
HSigurdsson

Joined this forum yesterday.
Just now I realized this was the forum I belonged to for years (2007-2017).....I must be dense.
I had thousands of posts over the years, knew Ed very well and was a member of the "Common Sewers" from its inception.
I had no idea Ed had died and I am saddened by this news, he was a good guy.
It had not dawned on me this was the same forum, I have not recognized any names from the old group yet.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

HSigurdsson wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:39 am Joined this forum yesterday.
Just now I realized this was the forum I belonged to for years (2007-2017).....I must be dense.
I had thousands of posts over the years, knew Ed very well and was a member of the "Common Sewers" from its inception.
I had no idea Ed had died and I am saddened by this news, he was a good guy.
It had not dawned on me this was the same forum, I have not recognized any names from the old group yet.
it isn't the same forum but many of us were on the old one
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Damn shame . God bless his family
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.