Ed James

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ed and Molly

Ed James, known as Ozark Southpaw on the forums, lived in Poplar Bluff, Missouri. A retired construction worker and a former member of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, Ed picked up the pipe in 2004 after giving up cigarettes. Pipes and tampers became his new hobby. He really enjoyed making pipes, refurbishing old pipes, and making tampers. Ed's refurbing skills were legendary on the Dr. Grabow Collectors Forum, and on the other forums on which he participated. More impressive than his skill was his willingness to share his knowledge with anyone who asked.

Ed's pride and joy was the Dr. Grabow Skyliner he assembled. It was his magnum opus, really. The Skyliner was a huge pipe display used by larger retailers, usually. I bought my first pipe, a Dr. Grabow Viking, off of a Skyliner at an Albertson's in Midland, Texas in 1979. They were certainly impressive displays. It took Ed around 2 or 3 years to collect the specific pipes he needed to complete the display cards. Ed bought the frame of the Skyliner and with the help and windshield time of Tom Douglas, retired CEO of Dr. Grabow, the frame traveled to Clarksville, Tennessee where it was received by our friend Wesley (Flycruiser on DGCF and Shiloh Hollow on the old PSF). Ed traveled from Poplar Bluff to Clarksville and picked up the Skyliner from Wesley and began the work of collecting the display cards and the pipes that went on them.

Ed was a friend to many of us who never met him in person. I talked to him on the phone a few times and sent him pipes to repair for me. He never charged me anything but I did send him a few boxes of Prince Albert over the years. He really liked Carter Hall and his Grabow 36Y pipes. He was kind and patient...an all around good guy. Ed died on June 4, 2017 in a house fire. May his memory be a blessing.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

For some reason I had it stuck in my head that he liked the 69Y.

I have a pipe bought from Ed. He had finished a stummel he picked up at the Grabow factory.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:59 am For some reason I had it stuck in my head that he liked the 69Y.

I have a pipe bought from Ed. He had finished a stummel he picked up at the Grabow factory.
The double trademarked "Royalton" 45? Nice pipe. You know, I think he liked both, as long as there was a Y on the end! He liked his 70 and his Mulberry too for sure.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:31 am
The double trademarked "Royalton" 45? Nice pipe. You know, I think he liked both, as long as there was a Y on the end! He liked his 70 and his Mulberry too for sure.
Yes... Right after his death, I got a 69Y to smoke in his memory.

Here is the Ed James "Double-spade" flip side.

"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Such a shame, a house fire! I think I remember him on the forum. Rest in Peace Ed.
The Troll Whisperer
Deimitori

So sad to read that... I remember Ed from Dr. Grabow pipes forum. He was a gentle man. May his soul rest in peace.
Whistlebritches

Fair Winds and Following Seas Ed
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Here's Ed standing by his Skyliner in the lobby of the Dr. Grabow factory in Sparta, NC (2014). Ed carried it from Poplar Bluff to Sparta for the Dr. Grabow Collectors Forum get together. The Skyliner was period correct (1970s) in every way, right down to the order of the colored panels. Tom Douglas had told him the black panel was in the center, then working to the ends it was blue, orange, yellow, blue.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Theres some great guys out there ! Its a drag to hear of his passing .. God bless him , Thats quite a display he has going on . My goodness , they look unsmoked ... are those pipes all unsmoked ?!
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:57 pm Theres some great guys out there ! Its a drag to hear of his passing .. God bless him , Thats quite a display he has going on . My goodness , they look unsmoked ... are those pipes all unsmoked ?!
The bulk of them were restored estates, maybe a few NOS. Maybe some of the DCGF guys who actually saw it in person and visited with Ed will chime in.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!