Great Grampa Ray Van Syke

Rusticated

I was only a tadpole growing up around my ggpa in the early sixties, but he was the only one in my family that smoked. I used to love visiting with him and my ggma. They were somewhat gypsies who roamed from place to place over the years we'd go and visit; from Redondo Beach to Lake Isabella, and everywhere in-between. I'll always remember with great fondness the smell of his pipe while he reclined in his favorite Lazyboy with his red can of PA beside him, sipping a cold brew watching either roller-derby or wrestling. His mini keg-o-rator always full of Hamms and his pipe loaded the Prince. While no one else in my family ever picked up the joy of embracing a good beer or backy...I did. It may very well have started with my dear old ggpa and those great memories. Interestingly, my gramps on the other side used to ride an old Indian in the 30's. I've been riding bikes since my teens. Nothing I like better than a long ride on my Harley, pulling over along the California shores, and relaxing to a long slow pipe while giving thanks for all my blessings. Thanks gramps!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Great story, brother. :)
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-