Uncle Chink

LtPiper

I had an uncle whose name was Charles - but everyone called him "Chink" (I'm not sure how the name evolved), He was, in my mind, the epitome of a true man. He was tall, quiet, hard working, loved his wife and children, was never lazy, and a thinker. My most vivid memories of him are of him sitting at his dining room table enjoying a pipe after dinner and a long days work - or of him relaxing on the front porch in the evening with his pipe. Though I never heard him say so - he often had a look on his face as though those times at the table or on the porch were the most perfect moments in life. I remember him seeming so content. He is the only person I knew as a young boy who smoked a pipe - and I think of him often when I light my own. I doubt he knows what impression he left on me, and I hope that someday someone remembers me the way I remember him. He is the inspiration for the following tribute:

Golden rays of sunlight spread,
Upon the harvest field.
A savory, visual feast for all,
Who’s frantic ways will yield.
The evening chill, a cup of warm,
A melodious creaking swing,
Whose only challenge musically,
Are the Katydids who sing.
And the yellow glow of kitchen lights,
Invites a pleasant thing,
And so a well used briar glows
As sweet virginia’s given wing.
"It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge the fetters." - Edmund Burke
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Excllent post , man . Some people just make a great impression and deserve admiration .. the best people probably dont get enough
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.