Need to finish your Dunhill collection?

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:14 pm I noticed that this set didn't sell and is now relisted with an opening bid of 12,500 or best offer. Still crazy money for some pipes in my opinion
Especially for a set that probably won't ever be smoked to preserve collector's value...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:38 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:14 pm I noticed that this set didn't sell and is now relisted with an opening bid of 12,500 or best offer. Still crazy money for some pipes in my opinion
Especially for a set that probably won't ever be smoked to preserve collector's value...
Exactly. It's like buying a car to park in a garage or warehouse as a status symbol or piece of a collection. My brain can't compute that type of purchase
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 pm
Exactly. It's like buying a car to park in a garage or warehouse as a status symbol or piece of a collection. My brain can't compute that type of purchase
Yes - not my style. If I had that kind of money and for some reason it could only be spent on pipes/smoking, I would probably buy a few more Grabow pots and a lot of C&D tobacco when it next goes on sale. I am just too practical. I am a smoker and not a collector...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:48 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 pm
Yes - not my style. If I had that kind of money and for some reason it could only be spent on pipes/smoking, I would probably buy a few more Grabow pots and a lot of C&D tobacco when it next goes on sale. I am just too practical. I am a smoker and not a collector...
:lol: we share much of the same logic on smoking and what we'd purchase. I'd probably commission another couple of handmades from my friend as well but overall we are on the same page
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin