Am I Missing Something?

Splodger

Was looking on eBay to see how much a tin of Dunhill Elizabethan was going for, and I came across something which I find completely incomprehensible. Basically it's a few tins of discontinued baccy for $1,200. Am I missing something, or is this a massive ripoff?

Check it out - https://tinyurl.com/yap7txtn
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

You're not missing anything . I miss the ' old days ' before the internet , sometimes .. lol
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
kxg

Well, it hasn't sold, and I'm guessing it won't, but who knows. Also it is interesting that the shipping is $25.00. You would think with a $1200 price tag, the shipping would be free. I think your second hypothesis is correct; massive ripoff. But, it is only a ripoff if someone buys it, right?
Splodger

I scrolled down to the bottom of the listing, and he/she has a dozen or so similar listings. I suppose there’s no law against it. Caveat emptor!
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Middle Earth

Just wait for it and other Dunhill/White Spot Blends to come back. There is a "Match" blend for it.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/533 ... an-mixture

Good reviews/ratings
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Middle Earth wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:27 pm Just wait for it and other Dunhill/White Spot Blends to come back. There is a "Match" blend for it.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/533 ... an-mixture

Good reviews/ratings
I love the Elizabethan match.. but it's not a match for the STG produced version of Elizabethan AT ALL. Not even remotely similar. It's meant to be a match of the Murray's produced stuff.. which I have never actually had. Regardless it stands on it's own as a good easy going VaPer with bready/dark fruity flavors vs. hay/grass/pepper.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Look long enough and you'll find old Dr.G's the same price. I saw posts regularly on the old PSF site whenever someone came across an outrageous 'deal' like this on the 'bay.

To a lesser extent, I'm disappointed by the pricing on junk pipe listings. On a good day, I can usually pick up junkers for around $4 apiece (or less), usually in bulk lot buys. Heck, just the other day I picked up two Kaywoodies for $14 total (that's just $7 apiece for you mathematicians out there). They arrived and they are in really good condition. If I wasn't worried about sanitation, I could light these up right now and smoke them.

I don't consider these 'junkers' by any means, only as comps for pricing junkers. If you don't take the time to ream out and buff a pipe before you list it, you shouldn't expect more than a few bucks for your junker unless it's a Dunhill or some other high dollar collectible. So when I see high priced junkers that have chewed off stems, chipped stummels, cracked shanks, popped-out makers marks and a carbon layer that prevents loading and lighting, it really irritates me.

Okay, done with my rant. :uh:
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?