Refried beans?

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

We swear by Gebhardt around these parts, big pard.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
avid

most canned varieties are fine, Rosarita being one version available in these parts. You can get them already spiced up or mild. all of the Mexican restaurants have them as a side. When i make them, i mix with salsa, put them in a shallow baking dish or pie plate, cover with monterey jack cheese, then bake
insufferable filter guy
AndreRitter

Thanks fellas. I think I'll be doing my own for now as the pre made tins etc are bloody expensive over here.
:uh:
pipelover
Broken Pipe

Correct about "English" Baked Beans.
Having grown up in the UK, to me, the term refers to canned beans in a simple tomato sauce. I automatically think of the brand Heinz, although there are many other brands available.

Here's a recipe:
INGREDIENTS
▢1 tbsp Olive oil
▢2 cloves Garlic, minced
▢1 - 2 tsp Spanish Smoked Paprika * See Notes
▢300g (1 1/3 cups) Passata
▢1 tbsp Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste)
▢60ml (1/4 cup) Chicken / Vegetable Stock *See Notes
▢300g (10.5oz) Can Haricot (Navy) beans (drained weight 195g/ 6.8oz) * See Notes

Saute garlic in a little olive oil
Add smoked paprika and stir
Add passata, tomato puree/paste, stock and stir
Simmer the tomato sauce for around 20 minutes (until the sharp taste of the tomato is gone and the sauce has thickened.
Add the beans and simmer for a further 10 mins.
INGREDIENT INFO
PASSATA is pureed and strained tomatoes. It is usually sold in tall glass bottles or cartons. It’s 100% tomato and is a lot smoother than crushed tomatoes. You can find it in most UK and Australian supermarkets.
SMOKED PAPRIKA gives these beans a delicious sweet and smokey profile without adding much heat to the dish, (unless you purchase a hot, smoked variety) Don’t substitute it with a different paprika, it won’t taste the same.
BEANS – Most commercial canned baked beans are made using haricot, also known as navy, beans. Depending on where you live in the world, you should be able to buy these pre-cooked in cans or dried.

Canned Beans are more convenient, allowing you to make the recipe without having to soak and pre-cook your beans beforehand.
In the UK I was able to find them easily in cans in most major supermarkets. I have never found them canned in Australia.
You can substitute Navy (haricot) beans for Cannellini beans. They are a meatier version of navy beans and work well in the recipe but will obviously look different to commercial baked beans.
Dried Beans – If you can’t find canned navy beans, but would still prefer to use this smaller bean, then you should be able to buy them dried from a bulk goods/scoop store.
Dried beans will need to be soaked overnight and then cooked, until soft, before you make this recipe.

I recommend you cook the sauce for at least 20 minutes to reduce the acidity. At the start of cooking the sauce can taste quite sharp. However, after it simmers away for 20-30 mins the sharpness reduces, the sauce thickens and it tastes delicious.

Other ways to add sweetness is to sauté some onion, celery and carrots. Puree them and add it to the sauce at the start of cooking.
Never give a sucker an even break ..... W.C. Fields
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

pipelover wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:09 am Correct about "English" Baked Beans.
Having grown up in the UK, to me, the term refers to canned beans in a simple tomato sauce. I automatically think of the brand Heinz, although there are many other brands available.

Here's a recipe:
INGREDIENTS
▢1 tbsp Olive oil
▢2 cloves Garlic, minced
▢1 - 2 tsp Spanish Smoked Paprika * See Notes
▢300g (1 1/3 cups) Passata
▢1 tbsp Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste)
▢60ml (1/4 cup) Chicken / Vegetable Stock *See Notes
▢300g (10.5oz) Can Haricot (Navy) beans (drained weight 195g/ 6.8oz) * See Notes

Saute garlic in a little olive oil
Add smoked paprika and stir
Add passata, tomato puree/paste, stock and stir
Simmer the tomato sauce for around 20 minutes (until the sharp taste of the tomato is gone and the sauce has thickened.
Add the beans and simmer for a further 10 mins.
INGREDIENT INFO
PASSATA is pureed and strained tomatoes. It is usually sold in tall glass bottles or cartons. It’s 100% tomato and is a lot smoother than crushed tomatoes. You can find it in most UK and Australian supermarkets.
SMOKED PAPRIKA gives these beans a delicious sweet and smokey profile without adding much heat to the dish, (unless you purchase a hot, smoked variety) Don’t substitute it with a different paprika, it won’t taste the same.
BEANS – Most commercial canned baked beans are made using haricot, also known as navy, beans. Depending on where you live in the world, you should be able to buy these pre-cooked in cans or dried.

Canned Beans are more convenient, allowing you to make the recipe without having to soak and pre-cook your beans beforehand.
In the UK I was able to find them easily in cans in most major supermarkets. I have never found them canned in Australia.
You can substitute Navy (haricot) beans for Cannellini beans. They are a meatier version of navy beans and work well in the recipe but will obviously look different to commercial baked beans.
Dried Beans – If you can’t find canned navy beans, but would still prefer to use this smaller bean, then you should be able to buy them dried from a bulk goods/scoop store.
Dried beans will need to be soaked overnight and then cooked, until soft, before you make this recipe.

I recommend you cook the sauce for at least 20 minutes to reduce the acidity. At the start of cooking the sauce can taste quite sharp. However, after it simmers away for 20-30 mins the sharpness reduces, the sauce thickens and it tastes delicious.

Other ways to add sweetness is to sauté some onion, celery and carrots. Puree them and add it to the sauce at the start of cooking.
I love it when old threads get resurrected. There is a lot of good solid information in the old PSF vault.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Jlando19

I love the stark contrast between some of the things discussed here between those of us state side and those of us in other areas of the world. So many things we each take for granted yet so many unknowns out there as well.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.