Rhubarb

Ronv69
Founding Member

My grandmother from New Orleans made rhubarb pie and I ate it.
God and Texas!
pipelover
Broken Pipe

I live near the Rhubarb growing epicentre of the world (No joke!) It's a place called Wakefield here in the UK. In the Rhubarb growing fields, we have special "Forcing" sheds. You can actually HEAR the darn stuff growing !
You (dear reader) may thimk this is a wind up, but check it out on t'internet. It really is true. We also grow liquorice in the same area, plus medicinal
Cannabis (no THC). I grow rhubarb in my garden, and am trying to get a strain which is a late variety.
On one of our local allotment plots, some bloke grew his on top of the manure pile. It was 20 foot tall, and the stems were as thick as a childs arms !
The leaves are DEADLY poisonous, but conversely, you can compost them, no probs !
For any gardeners listening ..... SAVE all your cigar end and cigarette ends if you use them. Put them in water, leave a few days, and the water is an efficient slug & snail killer. Organic too! (As for pipe ash, helps to add to garden nutrients !)
Never give a sucker an even break ..... W.C. Fields
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

pipelover wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:39 pm I live near the Rhubarb growing epicentre of the world (No joke!) It's a place called Wakefield here in the UK. In the Rhubarb growing fields, we have special "Forcing" sheds. You can actually HEAR the darn stuff growing !
You (dear reader) may thimk this is a wind up, but check it out on t'internet. It really is true. We also grow liquorice in the same area, plus medicinal
Cannabis (no THC). I grow rhubarb in my garden, and am trying to get a strain which is a late variety.
On one of our local allotment plots, some bloke grew his on top of the manure pile. It was 20 foot tall, and the stems were as thick as a childs arms !
The leaves are DEADLY poisonous, but conversely, you can compost them, no probs !
For any gardeners listening ..... SAVE all your cigar end and cigarette ends if you use them. Put them in water, leave a few days, and the water is an efficient slug & snail killer. Organic too! (As for pipe ash, helps to add to garden nutrients !)
That's wild! (The rhubarb fields, I mean.) :D
We always had a patch that just came up in the backyard, and my mum cooked it in all the traditional ways. Jam, pie, squares, and occasionally a rhubarb-apple jelly. I despised the stuff. I can eat it now if it's placed in front of me, but I'm still not a fan.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
pipelover
Broken Pipe

Woops, I forgot to mention, when the staff check the crop, they only use CANDLELIGHT ! This is becauseit would draw the rhubarb ! Urban myth used to say the women did all this in their underwear ! (I don't thimk so !)

Another bad joke coming : .... Dot to Dot puzzles, I personally draw the line at that !
Tsal
Forum Decorum

pipelover wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:39 pm I live near the Rhubarb growing epicentre of the world (No joke!) It's a place called Wakefield here in the UK. In the Rhubarb growing fields, we have special "Forcing" sheds. You can actually HEAR the darn stuff growing !
"Stems as thick as childs arms" Out of all the things you can compare them to. :lol: :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
fingall
Member in Good Standing

I know, right!? Years ago we were traveling in the Middle East and I don't remember the whole conversation but the owner of one of the stands in an outdoor market said "I have melons the size of a baby's head."
Tsal
Forum Decorum

fingall wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:11 am I know, right!? Years ago we were traveling in the Middle East and I don't remember the whole conversation but the owner of one of the stands in an outdoor market said "I have melons the size of a baby's head."
:lol:
The Troll Whisperer
pipelover
Broken Pipe

I'm having lemon meringue tonight, rhubarb is now out of season !
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

fingall wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:11 am I know, right!? Years ago we were traveling in the Middle East and I don't remember the whole conversation but the owner of one of the stands in an outdoor market said "I have melons the size of a baby's head."
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

In Japan, they have square watermelons:

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.