Boiled Peanuts...and Tinned Fish

Silver
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:05 pm Look at this commercial for looks like a snuff tin:

Then learn what Gentlemen's Relish is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman%27s_Relish

Are you a gentleman or not? I'm on the lookout for a tin of this tasty treat.
Not sure if I'm a gentleman, but this could be tasty.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Citizen B wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:51 pm Those crazy Swedes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming

"A newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world, even stronger than similarly fermented fish dishes such as the Korean hongeohoe or Japanese kusaya"

Do they sell this at IKEA?
The only thing I'm turned off of by this is that they offer a non-gutted version..so whatever these fish ate are still on board.. :barf:
The Troll Whisperer
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:14 pm
Citizen B wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:51 pm Those crazy Swedes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming

"A newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world, even stronger than similarly fermented fish dishes such as the Korean hongeohoe or Japanese kusaya"

The only thing I'm turned off of by this is that they offer a non-gutted version..so whatever these fish ate are still on board.. :barf:
I've been reading a lot about smoked fish today because I'm thinking about getting into the business, at least on the shallow end to see what I can make of it.

In England they call those non-gutted fish bloaters because they don't gut them, they just haul them up, wash them off, and then they fast smoke them so the fish inflate (bloat). They used to be considered superior to kippers, which are gutted and headless.

Me, I like my fish the way I like my friends, with guts and a head. That's why I like you.

What I really want is to try that Gentlemen's Relish. Something that has been around since 1828 can't be all bad.

1828 was an election year. Andrew Jackson was elected president. When he was elected, the White House was overrun by well-wishers. They muddied the carpets. The world's largest cheese at the time was served at the reception. It came from Goshen, Connecticut. It would have gone well with some Gentlemen's Relish, I'm sure, or maybe with this other esteemed English condiment:

Not that I want to get off topic or anything. I love canned fish. Cheese and chutney not so much.

I'm looking into making fermented fish sauce.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Citizen B wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:29 pm

I've been reading a lot about smoked fish today because I'm thinking about getting into the business, at least on the shallow end to see what I can make of it.

In England they call those non-gutted fish bloaters because they don't gut them, they just haul them up, wash them off, and then they fast smoke them so the fish inflate (bloat). They used to be considered superior to kippers, which are gutted and headless.

Me, I like my fish the way I like my friends, with guts and a head. That's why I like you.

What I really want is to try that Gentlemen's Relish. Something that has been around since 1828 can't be all bad.

1828 was an election year. Andrew Jackson was elected president. When he was elected, the White House was overrun by well-wishers. They muddied the carpets. The world's largest cheese at the time was served at the reception. It came from Goshen, Connecticut. It would have gone well with some Gentlemen's Relish, I'm sure, or maybe with this other esteemed English condiment:

Not that I want to get off topic or anything. I love canned fish. Cheese and chutney not so much.

I used to eat Branston Pickles buy the truck load when I lived in the city. That and Marmite...great condiments! Now I have a hankerin'..
The Troll Whisperer
Puff nstuff

I ate some delicious tinned smoked salmon this evening, accompanied by havarti, some Sociables, and a glass of white wine. That's all I needed for dinner.
I bought some Riga sprats the other day and my daughter can't wait to dig in to them with me. My kids both love canned seafood, grew up eating it. Ever had Riga sprats? They're basically Latvian smoked sardines, small ones packed in oil that are subtly sweet and absolutely delicious!!
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Ronv69
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:29 pm

The Poachers Relish sounds more my style.
God and Texas!
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Snack attack!! Filipino Style!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Chef Benny wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:09 am Snack attack!! Filipino Style!
I see you have the same fine Williams-Sonoma dinnerware that we have, right down to the pattern. :lol:

If I knew where to start, I'd eat the whole thing. That looks pretty good!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Late and short a dollar, but...
You wanna use raw peanuts. We grow em so we can have an endless supply. We eat em spicier than most could tolerate, so we have to make em at home, and salted roasted peanuts cook too dry for us.

Id be willing to say i eat 10 gallons a year, but thats a very conservative guess. A little known fact is that boiled peanuts are the healthiest way to consume that legume.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

There is just something about the southern states gas station boiled peanut that just makes them like no other. Kinda like the NYC dirty water dogs. They have that taste that you can't find anywhere else. One thing I miss about running over the road is all the good food.
The Troll Whisperer