Boiled Peanuts...and Tinned Fish

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I'm going to the store here in a little bit. The plan is to pick up a can of berled peanuts while I'm there. If I can find any raw peanuts in the shell I'll get them too since that's what the crock pot recipe for homemade boiled peanuts called for. Does anyone know if you can use salted/roasted in the shell in a boiled peanut recipe? I guess I could google it. Stand by or stand back.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I believe the berling ones are of the raw unsalted/roasted type. This is exciting, I can't wait to hear/see the results.
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

And away we go...

Here are the canned boiled peanuts. Each can is 25 ounces. That seems like a lot to eat, but a good bit of that will be liquid I can pour off. Luckily, they can be stored in the fridge for five days after opening.

They look pretty unappetizing on the label. Let’s hope it’s just the photography. You’d think they would make the best representation possible but the "juice" looks thick and unappealing. They did include their blue ribbons, and that makes me think they won awards at whatever contest judges boiled peanuts. Whoops, nope, not awards, just touting non GMO and the nutritional benefits. It looks like this is the only company specializing in this food, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt right now. I’ll open one or the other later today and we’ll know for sure. I think I’ll like the spicy one better in any case.

The website for the company says just to eat the tasty peanut inside and discard the shell. Either that site or another said some people like to suck out the peanut from the shell and slurp up the delicious juices in the process. Kind of like sucking the crawfish head I guess. Yet another said the adventurous eater will eat the whole peanut, shell and all. I’m looking at you WK!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Looking at the pictures on the labels you can see it's the same peanuts in each pic, but the spicy ones have what I guess are pepper chunks and pepper seeds superimposed to make them look spicy. It's a cheap trick, using stock photos and altering the look for different products. Maybe the Peanut Patch Company invested those savings into producing an even higher quality berled peanut. I hope so.

Back before the big move to the Dominican Republic, Finck Cigar did the same thing. If a line was produced as natural and maduro they just colored the natural photo to maduro. They even went so far as to use one shot of a Travis Club perfecto and alter the size of the photo to present it as either a Regalia, a Senator, or an Especiales. Same for the parejos.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I think for the crock pot recipe, you will have to start with raw ones.

I claim the can ones will benefit from being warmed up. The last time I had them, it was a little gelatinous in the room temp can.

I have never eaten the shells, but I am not so tough as WK.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

Never tried boiling salted roasted peanuts. I buy very large 50 lbs bags of raw peanuts each October from a local market. Boil them in a large soup pot with sea salt. I'll let them completely cool and put them in gallon size zip lock bags and then into the freezer. I generally wind up with enough peanuts for the entire year for myself, family & friends. It's best to buy raw peanuts in October because that's when their the fresh picked ones and better tasting. I was known in the past to buy a pick up truck load of raw peanuts still on the vine, but due to arthritis in my hands in recent years it's become too difficult to pick the peanuts off the vines.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:09 am I think for the crock pot recipe, you will have to start with raw ones.

I claim the can ones will benefit from being warmed up. The last time I had them, it was a little gelatinous in the room temp can.

I have never eaten the shells, but I am not so tough as WK.
Agreed, you have to heat up the canned ones which will also thin the liquid if its really thick.
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ok, I’ll heat the canned ones before I eat some. Can’t hurt and will probably help.

I found a website that says you can make boiled peanuts from roasted and salted peanuts and that they are not that different from using the raw ones. The recipes call for about 20 hours of slow cooking so imma get started.

Since I can’t find raw in the shell right now I’ll use these. I’ll be flavoring the peanuts with Season It All from Bolner’s Fiesta Co in San Antonio.

All rinsed off, most empty shells discarded. Water and seasoning added to the peanuts, setting on high until it starts boiling. Then I’ll knock it down to low and let it go until tomorrow morning.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

More fun from the Peanut Patch Company

ImageImage
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
avid

heard about 'em never had 'em
insufferable filter guy