Pie, Pie, Pie

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

My desert of choice has to be pie. Maybe it was the years on the highway sipping small cups of truck stop coffee that could kill an ordinary human. Key Lime, Apple, Blackberry, Pecan, Rhubarb - I don't care. As long as there is pie my people will have a place to call home.

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Dr Uhaha wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:54 pm My desert of choice has to be pie. Maybe it was the years on the highway sipping small cups of truck stop coffee that could kill an ordinary human. Key Lime, Apple, Blackberry, Pecan, Rhubarb - I don't care. As long as there is pie my people will have a place to call home.

1. Damn that looks good.
2. Pie is superior to all other desserts you eat in slice format.
3. Damn that looks good.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
fingall
Member in Good Standing

What about the wonderful, oft misunderstood, shoo fly pie?
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

fingall wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:46 am What about the wonderful, oft misunderstood, shoo fly pie?
It's been a while since I had a slice of this(like as a kid with grandma). You definitely gotta love you some molasses.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Tsal
Forum Decorum

This is a Chris Tiger type thread.
The Troll Whisperer
fingall
Member in Good Standing

Yes, indeed you do. If molasses is too much, you can use Turkey syrup instead; much less heavy but still verrry good. Chris Tiger?
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:04 am This is a Chris Tiger type thread.
Kind of made my stomach flip
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

fingall wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:12 am Yes, indeed you do. If molasses is too much, you can use Turkey syrup instead; much less heavy but still verrry good. Chris Tiger?
Past member, inside joke...he liked 3.142
The Troll Whisperer
CoreyR
Founding Member

Pie huh? You should be over ta my place then. I have pie running out of my ears!
My wife, bless her heart, works for a nationwide grocery distribution company, the warehouse distributors who probably put the food in your local grocery store, except for a few larger chains. Anyway, for years we have received ...incentives, from the producers of foods. Personally, I LOVED it when she was in meets and companies like Kuntzler were wooing her. I used to head up a hammock camping group which, about three times a year, did a state park volunteer hammock hang/work detail. We had a deal with Virginia state parks, individual parks, where we got to camp for free, in exchange for a weekend of our people doing a project in the park. I have bad legs, from years of jumping out of aircraft in the Arctic, so could not do a lot of the trail work. My wife and I tended to stay at the camp and do the cooking, mostly dutch oven/ campfire cooking. The Kuntzler rep found out about it and started donating Kuntzler goods; bacon, sausage, ham, you name it. Some of the other reps too. It was sweet.
Now she has moved to "bakery/deli," and we no longer do the volunteer events. I thought those days were behind us. I mean, we do, on the occasion, get some "samples" but nothing major.
Last week she went in to the office for a meeting, she normally works from home. She give me a call and tells me, "expect a delivery today of a couple of frozen pies. A company wants me to try their product, two kinds of pie, and are sending them to the house, just stick them in the freezer."
Ok, can do, we have room in the freezer in the kitchen, if not, we have a deep freezer in the workshop. Good to go for two pies.
I began to get nervous when the dogs started barking at a delivery van backing down our drive. I started getting concerned when the driver got a pallet jack! He unloads a pallet case of lemon meringue pies!!! :o The company had made a mistake, instead of one lemon meringue, they had sent ONE PALLET and they did not want it back! Awe crap!
I started breaking it down and sticking them into freezers when it hit me, my wife had said, TWO kinds of pies??? Right about then the second delivery van arrived with TWO more pallets. This time two sizes of pumpkin pies. :shock: Uh oh!
The kitchen freezer, the deep freezer, heck even the freezer in the camper are now completely packed with pies! Which are actually quite good, BTW.
Fortunately, we are having a fall bonfire, out door with "social distancing," this Saturday night. We had planned on doing some Dutch oven cooking at the event but we are trimming that back. Pie is now going to be the main dessert. You get your choice of ....wiat for it....lemon meringue or pumpkin! Who would've guessed, right?? :D
I am going to do an apple cobbler in the DO also, and some spiced cider....corn pudding, beans, and guest can do hot dogs over the bon fire.
Whatever pies are left, and there are going to be a lot, I am taking to the local fire/EMS stations. I rode rescue squad for years, next county over, I know those guys will find a good use for all those pies.
I may save a pumpkin or two for the holidays myself. :thumbs: I do find myself wondering, what next?
fingall
Member in Good Standing

Ah, got it. Thank you.