Hot sauce

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I dig Sriracha on certain foods. For most everything else I use one of the Gringo Bandito varieties. Adds some nice spice and is easy on the pooper (their words, not mine)

I used to use a ton of tapatio & cholula and even though I don't find them particularly spicy, they give me wicked heartburn nowadays.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Whalehead King

I went to Buffa's last night, as I often do on Mondays, to listen to Antoine Diel. He's a very good singer. I had a bratwurst, which was cooked really well done, just the way I like it, buried in sauerkraut and mustard---also how I like it---and served with a side of coleslaw mixed with bleu cheese.

Anyhow, the reason I'm telling you this is because I took a picture of the house-made hot sauces that accompanied my meal:

Those are my eyeglasses. I'm not sure why I included them in this shot.
9 Iron
Founding Member

I love green Tobasco, especially on eggs. Franks mixed with melted butter and tossed with chicken wings fresh out of the fryer is outstanding. As for the Mexican variety, Cholula is my favorite.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Tried Walkerswood Jamaican Scotch Bonnet sauce today. Good flavor but wimpy heat after the habanero sauces. I'm going to try it with grilled chicken as I think that may be its strong suit.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
keensmoke
Founding Member

My top favorite is probably Sambal, which is kinda not a "sauce" per say but a paste.. thought it is a bit runny and liquid-y.
This stuff is amazing for all you'd expect - eggs, pizza, asian dishes, any time you'd use chili flakes or sauce really... imo
Anywhere where melted butter is good, too - wings, pasta, veggies - just melt some butter and mix with this stuff to taste and its a fantastic sauce

A few of my favorite applications are
1) big heaping spoonful in fresh made guacamole (gives a nice twist vs the more standard diced jalapeno or other fresh chili spice)
2) easy summer side dish of sauteed fresh green beans, par-cook by steaming or roasting or whatever and finish with melted butter and sambal mix in a frying pan (or just saute all the way) - same thing works for asparagus and lots of other veg
3) stay with me here - peanut butter spread on a piece of bread or toast, then a few dabs of this stuff here and there - fold it up to a half-sandwich and enter heaven
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Oh heck , I forgot .... for oysters .............. Tabasco ! I think the reason that is , is because eating oysters at bars in Florida .. Tabasco was what was on the table anywhere I was ever at . So the two just go together . Its the right flavor / heat combo for oysters
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Whistlebritches

I don't know how I forgot these but the Pickapeppa sauces,they're awesome.I love the spicy mango and hot mango on wings and smoked sausage.The original taste a lot like amped up woctershire(this one I have never been able to spell),great with steak~n~eggs.Haven't been able to find the ginger mango or hot pepper but they are on my radar.

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I forgot to add (and I'm glad I remembered because I need to place an order) for the guys who like a lot of flavor but not a ton of heat: Big Island Peppers Hawaiian pepper vinegar. It became a favorite of mine on a trip to the island. There's far more to it than just peppers and vinegar, it separates big time in the bottle so shake it up to get all the goodness. Now I'm off to place an order
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
9 Iron
Founding Member

keensmoke wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm
3) stay with me here - peanut butter spread on a piece of bread or toast, then a few dabs of this stuff here and there - fold it up to a half-sandwich and enter heaven
A decade or so back I was given some post surgery medical advice by a surgeon who'd commented that I should lose weight and get in shape if I wanted to see my grandkids grow up. This hit me pretty hard so I began a radical diet change and weight lifting regimen. At the time I was about 280 pounds (I'm a big dude anyhow, but this was a good 40 pounds overweight) and was determined to get back into "Football shape". My morning breakfast everyday for months was cooked oats and egg whites with Sambal chili paste. It's actually quite good, but I suspect the stuff would make an old shoe palatable.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

just picked up three new ones, will report if any are fantastic
I hope our names are touching on the watch list