Remember these?

Wildcat
Codger in Training

mrpipster wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:00 pm
Citizen B wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:56 pm
Wildcat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:22 pm

The smart ones do!

I like B's moxi. He swings for the fences. I'm the same way and unashamedly so. Sure, sometimes it's a swing and a miss. But when it's a grand slam... Oh, let me tell you friend, it's truly grand. When it happens, even the Bard tips his ephemeral hat. Yes sir.

In the not so imortal words of Mel Gibson, swing away B, swing away.
A tip of my fedora your way, sir. And to @mrpipster , too. I know I am an odd fit here, but, we all are, in our own ways. That is what makes PSF so interesting. I enjoy reading all these posts.

Not to be a nattering grammarian, but, Moxie is spelled with an 'e' on the end. Every New Englander knows that. It's from Maine. Ted Williams drank it.

Drinking Moxie is like smoking Mixture 79. Wait for the third taste and you'll be a convert for life.
We dont have that here. Never had one.
Elixir sir! Nirvana in a can.

Or a bottle. But elixir none the less.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Wildcat
Codger in Training

About Moxie, I want to publicly thank you B, for correcting my grammatic faux pas in front of my peers and the millions of visitors and bots that haunt these hallow PSF halls. After a brief cry, I assure you it shan't happen again.

Only Lake Champlain separates Mrs Cat and I from Vermont this holiday weekend, where Moxie flows like water. There was a time when it could be found here, on the western edge of the great lake. (Some argue it should be considered one of "The Great Lakes," and I agree.) Alas, I haven't found any Moxie or Moxi during our travels here this weekend. I did find a Maxie however. Maxie Fineburg to be exact and no, he did not taste like Moxie, the elixir of New England.

Red Bull may give you wings, but Moxie gives you moxie!

Maxie will give you knuckle sandwich, or so he said. I did not stick around to find out.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Wildcat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:06 pm For dinner tonight, we went to a 99 Restaurant.

https://www.99restaurants.com/locations/

A New England chain that may one day end up on a list like this. I hope not, as they're rather good, but tastes change like the seasons, so who knows.

We each had a sirloin steak and house salad. She mashed potatoes. Me broccoli. I ordered my steak rare. Actually I asked for "as rare as you're allowed." It was spot on, what with its warm pink and purple goodness. Canadian Club was the only Canadian they had, so I had it on the rocks and Mrs Cat had a bourbon based lady drink.
I forget to mention, the hotel we stay at is attached to the 99 Restaurant, but we usually eat at the Ground Round next door. Pre covid, we visited here regularly enough that the staff at both the hotel and Ground Round remembered us. Going to dinner was like eating at Cheers, where everyone knew our names. Sadly covid and NY's overreaching guidelines have killed the place. It's closed, signage stripped off the building. The hotel staff said it won't reopen. Same with the Friendly's across the street. I think the only Ground Round left that I know of, is in Rutland Vermont. Abandoned Friendly's now litter upstate NY. Probably Vermont and surrounding New England too. Put two more names on the list.
fingall
Member in Good Standing

Wildcat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:07 pm About Moxie, I want to publicly thank you B, for correcting my grammatic faux pas in front of my peers and the millions of visitors and bots that haunt these hallow PSF halls. After a brief cry, I assure you it shan't happen again.

Only Lake Champlain separates Mrs Cat and I from Vermont this holiday weekend, where Moxie flows like water. There was a time when it could be found here, on the western edge of the great lake. (Some argue it should be considered one of "The Great Lakes," and I agree.) Alas, I haven't found any Moxie or Moxi during our travels here this weekend. I did find a Maxie however. Maxie Fineburg to be exact and no, he did not taste like Moxie, the elixir of New England.

Maxie will give you knuckle sandwich, or so he said. I did not stick around to find out.
Moxie's good stuff
fingall
Member in Good Standing

Wildcat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:51 pm
Citizen B wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:07 pm
Wildcat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:10 am
Oh my friend, you are going to get a @Citizen B lesson you will never forget!
I'm not a big David Lynch fan, though I do agree that he was the perfect director for The Elephant Man. For Dune, less so. After that my knowledge of his work tapers off. I think he both mostly wrote and directed the television seriesTwin Peaks and that is what I was thinking of.
Everything about Dune was less so. The only Lynch films I've seen are Elephant Man, Eraser Head, and Blue Velvet. I found BV to be disturbing, which was probably Lynch's vision. I wasn't a Twin Peaks watcher. I was a fan of the folks from Sicily, Alaska in Northern Exposure, which was quircky and entertaining show. I'm not even sure it was remotely like Twin Peaks, but in the card catalog of my mind they are in the same drawer.
👍🏻 for Northern Exposure, I loved that show
fingall
Member in Good Standing

Citizen B wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:07 pm
mrpipster wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:00 pm
Citizen B wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:56 pm

A tip of my fedora your way, sir. And to @mrpipster , too. I know I am an odd fit here, but, we all are, in our own ways. That is what makes PSF so interesting. I enjoy reading all these posts.

Not to be a nattering grammarian, but, Moxie is spelled with an 'e' on the end. Every New Englander knows that. It's from Maine. Ted Williams drank it.

Drinking Moxie is like smoking Mixture 79. Wait for the third taste and you'll be a convert for life.
We dont have that here. Never had one.
It's delicious. It tastes like medicine.

It's a real codger's soda. Like the guy who drinks straight tonic water because he finds it refreshing, but even more manly.
lol
fingall
Member in Good Standing

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:13 pm
Citizen B wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:14 pm It's been (relatively) easy for us because we've gotten used to it gradually.
Incorrect. I have bitched and moaned about it every step of the way. Yeah, there are lots of cool things, conveniences, internet, medical advances...but we had it pretty damn good ever since I was a cognizant "adult" in the late 1970s. I'd go back to it in a heartbeat.
Citizen B wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:14 pm If you transported some people to the present from the 1970s their heads would explode.
That would be me. Just ask my wife. In my mind it is 1975...I say that all the time, she will back me up. Those were the days. Unless you are from another era. Then for you, those were the days.
I was just a kid then but man do I miss the 70's
Wildcat
Codger in Training

fingall wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:23 am
Wildcat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:07 pm About Moxie, I want to publicly thank you B, for correcting my grammatic faux pas in front of my peers and the millions of visitors and bots that haunt these hallow PSF halls. After a brief cry, I assure you it shan't happen again.

Moxie's good stuff
Yeah it is!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

The aforementioned Ground Round as we left today

and the Friendly's as seen from the gas station we stopped at to grab coffee for the ride home.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:51 am
Wildcat wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:06 pm For dinner tonight, we went to a 99 Restaurant.

https://www.99restaurants.com/locations/

A New England chain that may one day end up on a list like this. I hope not, as they're rather good, but tastes change like the seasons, so who knows.

We each had a sirloin steak and house salad. She mashed potatoes. Me broccoli. I ordered my steak rare. Actually I asked for "as rare as you're allowed." It was spot on, what with its warm pink and purple goodness. Canadian Club was the only Canadian they had, so I had it on the rocks and Mrs Cat had a bourbon based lady drink.
I forget to mention, the hotel we stay at is attached to the 99 Restaurant, but we usually eat at the Ground Round next door. Pre covid, we visited here regularly enough that the staff at both the hotel and Ground Round remembered us. Going to dinner was like eating at Cheers, where everyone knew our names. Sadly covid and NY's overreaching guidelines have killed the place. It's closed, signage stripped off the building. The hotel staff said it won't reopen. Same with the Friendly's across the street. I think the only Ground Round left that I know of, is in Rutland Vermont. Abandoned Friendly's now litter upstate NY. Probably Vermont and surrounding New England too. Put two more names on the list.
I've never eaten at a Ground Round but I don't have any negative impression of the restaurants. I was vegetarian for 20 years so it isn't a place I would have chosen to frequent.

Friendly's should have gone bankrupt long before they finally did. That chain was the dead rose in a bouquet for decades.

I don't think "the slow erosion of the middle class" has contributed to Friendly's downfall. Maybe, but I just think Friendly's stopped being good.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.