Keto/Atkins Diets

sisyphus
Person of Interest

started keto June 6. Didn't weigh myself to start so no idea on numbers, but I'm down two pant sizes and need a new belt. At this rate I should be back to my target weight by Halloween and weigh the same I did 20 years ago. Lots of other improvements too, joint pain gone, better energy, reduced appetite. Pretty amazing. Keto absolutely works if you can commit to it. I want the fat off more than I want to break discipline. It's not much of a struggle, I am just not that hungry on this diet.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
9 Iron
Founding Member

Like wooda said, it can affect different people a lot differently. My comments came directly from my doctor as well, but he did the blood work on me and knows my history and mixing alcohol on a keto diet was warned against. I don’t doubt that some of you may be fine with alcohol use on your diet. I think the biggest point to keep in mind is that this type of eating will alter your glucose and insulin levels and you should probably consult your doctor if you’re anything but young and fairly fit with no other known health issues besides being a few pounds overweight.

I did this diet about 10 years ago the first time, it was Atkins, I ate a ridiculous amount of meat and low carb veggies and completely eliminated sugar, bread, booze, etc. I also weight trained 5 days a week. Lost 55 pounds and was in great shape, until I injured myself from lifting too heavy (hernia surgery). After that I stopped the lifting (docs orders) and of course a lot of the weight gradually came back. I’ve gone on and off keto a couple of times since and it always knocks 20 pounds off me in short order, but I find the diet too unenjoyable to stay on for too long. What I’m trying to do now is to hike a few miles a few days a week and I’m thinking I’ll add some resistance training, maybe a Bowflex machine.

The lowest weight I’ve been at in a decade is 225 and my wife said I was way too skinny. I’m 55 years old, stand 6’3” and normally go around 235#’s and don’t look fat at all at that weight. This time I let myself get up to 260 and the first 2 weeks on keto I dropped 10 pounds. I’m going to shoot for 235 by end of September for deer season. I think if I can stay a bit more active than I have been and stay away from beer and the comfort foods (unfortunately I love big pots of starchy food) I should be able to maintain.
Whistlebritches

We took a month and added whole grain carbs only,except for a couple excursions out of town dining.I gained nothing but I lost nothing either.Sunday I went back into full press mode.Once I hit my target weight I plan to stay on the diet with added whole grain products.It seems to work......
Whalehead King

I used to listen to Dr. Atkins on the radio in the early 80s before his diet became a thing. He made a lot of sense and I've always been a low sugar kind of guy except for a Tootsie Pop or two a day, a habit I picked up recently. I do eat a lot of other carbs nowadays, though. I lived in Naples (Italy) for three years and gained 20 pounds. That was a long time ago. I've since lost that weight and picked up a little bit of back up again.

I would like to lose 8-10 pounds, but I can do that if I stop eating out every day, which is an occupational hazard of mine. Part of our job is to make restaurant recommendations, so we eat out constantly, which will screw up any diet and I know what it is doing to my bloodwork. My doctor and I talk about this often and I'm not sure what to do about it. I do live in New Orleans, a city that loves to eat, after all.

I wear the same sized clothes I did 30 years ago so this isn't a pressing weight issue. I'd just like to get back into fighting trim, which is probably more an exercise issue than a diet issue. Then there are the health issues that my current diet incurs....

I'll be following this thread with interest, but probably not have much to say about it. Thanks for all the insights so far.
Hey Sparky
Founding Member

I started Atkins 3 years ago last month. To date I'm down 66lbs. Started at 267 so I'm "this close" to getting under 200 for the first time in I can't even recall. I have plateaued a few times and have had to re-adjust things a bit. I'm working on cutting more sugar from my diet and at the same time staying away from the artificial sweeteners which I had been using regularly when I started. Man coffee sucks without being sweet I'll tell ya

At this point I'd like to get down another 20lbs into the low 180's.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I started keto June 6 and ended last night. I weighed 212 yesterday, which was my premarriage weight. I was shooting for 225. Total lost, 80 pounds. Felt great the whole time, and many issues I had been having that I attributed to advancing age disappeared completely. Was able to discontinue taking reflux medicine, and halved the dose on my bp rx. Couldn't be happier.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
9 Iron
Founding Member

I hit 225 about 3 weeks ago, so that’s 35 pounds in about 3 months. When I hit 225 I started adding things that I wasn’t previously eating. Not intentional menu changes (aside from adding an apple to my lunch box a couple days a week - I really missed having fruit) but allowing myself to not avoid certain things at certain times. For example, friday night and we all go out to dinner. I order a hamburger and fries, eat most of the bun on the burger and a few fries (my granddaughter gladly helped me eat those). The wife makes dinner one night and maybe I have a little potatoes which I previously avoided. A 6 pack of oatmeal stout was left here 3 weeks ago when friends came to visit, there are still 2 bottles in the fridge, I drank the others over the last couple of weeks. Little things I allow myself in small amounts and basically stick with the program most of the time. My weight hasn’t changed in 3 weeks.
Hitzy

I'm in the "diet will only get you so far" camp...at least my body tells me this lol. Now, diet and exercise (weights but not back breaking stuff) did wonders. I entered a biggest loser contest last year at our work for fun, but also to win because I'm terribly competitive. Started at 250 and lost 27lbs in 6 weeks. 4 simple exercises every 2nd day...squats, bench press, bent over rows, and deadlifts. 30 mins with moderate weight. Wish I'd kept it up... pushing 250 again but I won't say from which side lol.
Maynard

Quit drinking beer 2 yrs ago and I was a binge drinker at 275lbs been on Keto since I now weigh 200, I don’t crave beer now nor sugar starch etc and I am very very happy with myself and so is my wife and kids.
racinghoss

Geeze, being new around here I feel like I am digging up all the old threads.

I started keto in September of 2013. I was 300 lbs and could barely run to the mailbox. Being a former infantry Marine, I hated myself.

I lost 85 lbs in 8 months. Then gained some back the right way...in the gym. I have maintained at about 235 ever since. I am not always full-on keto, but I do drink whiskey...nearly every day I will pour a finger or two. It has never hurt me or knocked me out of ketosis (yes, I check sometimes). Perhaps heavier drinking would...???

At any rate, I stay low carb always. 50 carbs is a binge. I lift weights thrice per week and run twice, anywhere from 3-10 miles every time. It took a long time to get there. But, it isn't the exercise that keeps me lean, it is the diet. You can't out-exercise a poor diet.

Keto works.