Keto/Atkins Diets

Whistlebritches

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:24 pm She likes carbs .. and shes a good Christian girl [ notice earrings ]

Ill stop now . :D
She looks like she needs a hot protein injection............I am loaded with protein.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Where does whiskey fit into a diet? I need to lose some poundage but I prefer it not interfere with cocktails lol
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:33 am Where does whiskey fit into a diet? I need to lose some poundage but I prefer it not interfere with cocktails lol
I don't drink, but you would just add it to the diary in myfitnesspal or elsewhere. You just keep the carbs low and make sure the calories don't go crazy.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:37 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:33 am Where does whiskey fit into a diet? I need to lose some poundage but I prefer it not interfere with cocktails lol
I don't drink, but you would just add it to the diary in myfitnesspal or elsewhere. You just keep the carbs low and make sure the calories don't go crazy.
Oh ok, so you keep track of the caloric value just like anything else and go on with life. That's easy enough. Thanks father
Whistlebritches

If you're low carbing whisky doesn't count against you.No carbs to speak of.......only calories.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Whistlebritches wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:01 pm
If you're low carbing whisky doesn't count against you.No carbs to speak of.......only calories.
I already like this diet and I haven't even started officially.

As a side note the wife and I made a fathead (low carb) pizza the other evening. I'd like to experiment more with it to see if I can get a little crispness to it but it's an absolute win overall. I made the coconut flour version because the missus is allergic to almonds
9 Iron
Founding Member

Whistlebritches wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:01 pm If you're low carbing whisky doesn't count against you.No carbs to speak of.......only calories.
Sorry, but no. High glycemic index, no bueno. The key to the keto diet is switching your body from a glucose (carbohydrate) burning machine to a ketone (fat) burning machine by starving your body of carbohydrates and glucose. Just like when you eat sweet stuff, which may have zero carbs and/or calories in it’s undigested state, once you consume alcohol it converts to glucose in your system and it will derail ketosis. My wife is always raving about sugar free jello and how we should be feeding it to the kids. It’s healthier she says, contains no sugar. Umm, contains maltodextrin which has a high glycemic insex and still keeps your insulin levels at an unhealthy level, just like sugar. You have to look at foods in the glycemic index manner that diabetics do.

That said, keto or no keto, you consume fewer calories than you burn you lose weight. Doesn’t mean you’ll be healthy, you can still be skinny and have big time blood sugar issues that cause all sorts of havoc.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I did remember that you were not supposed to drink on Atkins. It is not something I pay much attention to since I don't partake. I figured there had to be a reason. I do know that people who are into the keto thing do drink though. I see it listed in the food logs. I am not sure if they test ketones to know if it knocks them out of ketosis. It sounds as if it might.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Whistlebritches

9 Iron wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:14 pm
Whistlebritches wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:01 pm If you're low carbing whisky doesn't count against you.No carbs to speak of.......only calories.
Sorry, but no. High glycemic index, no bueno. The key to the keto diet is switching your body from a glucose (carbohydrate) burning machine to a ketone (fat) burning machine by starving your body of carbohydrates and glucose. Just like when you eat sweet stuff, which may have zero carbs and/or calories in it’s undigested state, once you consume alcohol it converts to glucose in your system and it will derail ketosis. My wife is always raving about sugar free jello and how we should be feeding it to the kids. It’s healthier she says, contains no sugar. Umm, contains maltodextrin which has a high glycemic insex and still keeps your insulin levels at an unhealthy level, just like sugar. You have to look at foods in the glycemic index manner that diabetics do.

That said, keto or no keto, you consume fewer calories than you burn you lose weight. Doesn’t mean you’ll be healthy, you can still be skinny and have big time blood sugar issues that cause all sorts of havoc.
My Doc would disagree with you.I gave up all beer and cider because he recommended hard liquor only,in moderation of course.I lost 35 lbs in a couple months and still partake in bourbon,sometimes not so much in moderation...........so I would disagree as well.I wouldn't recommend this to diabetics but then again that's not what this thread is about.
Wooda
Founding Member

Might as well chime in here.

Full ketosis since Thanksgiving 2017, with cheat weeks here and there. Only lost 10# since I'm a skinny b!tch to begin with, but my blood work is better and mood improved.

As far as booze, it takes less to get me buzzed, but that's not a problem.

As far as I care, alcohol calories don't count.
Between individual genetics, time to consume, frequency of drinking, and moon phase (last ones a joke), the actual calories your body uses from ETOH can vary by 600% between 2 people (not a joke)

Better, thorough explanation:
http://www.groennfell.com/blog/why-calo ... -pointless
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.