The PSF White Bread Thread

Ronv69
Founding Member

Worst part is that we can't eat them very often. 200+ calories per biscuit is a killer.
God and Texas!
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Wow. Soft wheat vs hard wheat.

The things you learn here...
ever forward
Whalehead King

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:39 pm Walmart has it for $2.50 a bag.
How big is the bag?
Ronv69
Founding Member

That was 2 pounds.
God and Texas!
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Now I'm craving biscuits.

Although truth be told, I prefer cornbread.

Mine is awesome.
ever forward
Bamarick

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:01 pm I finally found out why I can't make biscuits!
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why- ... ket-newtab
If you can get a bag of White Lily or Martha White Flour and follow the recipe on the bag you'll have perfect biscuits. For us Crisco Shorting is the best fat to use.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

There's so many brands and types of flour available in the north Georgia mountains .. It's kinda funny actually . I'll have to take pictures . I like to buy different ones and i do t know if i repeated any in the 19 yeasrs ive been here , though i may have . Its not like I'm conscious of it. The last one I bought was Robin hood brand .. all purpose , I believe

As far as the white bread ... the Roman Meal wasnt quite white and i didntt remember a brand till now , kind of . We didn't do alot of white bread apparently but when we did , it was from a drive through type mini food store called Farm Stores .. a chain in Miami , Fl . I don't know if they still exist but they were all over back in the day . Maybe they had their own brand white bread or may be it was another brand , I didn't like white bread because it was too soft. The Roman Meal , you could spread stuff on it . I do remember a white bread with a cute girl on it
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Try Cob

Used to be that I enjoyed my 'mater sammidge on Country Hearth Stone Ground Wheat bread, but am disappointed to find they apparently stopped making it, though other brands are available. These days I use a no-name wheat bread I get from a friend for nothing - he gets more than he can eat free. Our bread usage is seasonal - and we're in the middle of the season now, with tomatoes harvested daily of late.

Stone grinding results in a coarser texture, which I greatly prefer in bread season, and miss these days, but, hey, free is free and that beggar-chooser thing is operable, too. Guy drops it off, too, don't even have to go anywhere, he just doesn't want it to go to waste. The huge, delicious Early Girl and Beefeater tomatoes carry the real weight, anyway, with a healthy spread of Hellmann's Real Mayo. No added salt, thanks. I use center-cut 3/4-to-1-inch-thick slices.

Our widowed neighbor/friend Martha stopped by today and picked up her weekly supply of backyard veggies - usually Christine carries it to her as she doesn't get around so well now, which is why she no longer gardens herself. However, she has a friend with peach trees, and brought us a freshly baked (by Martha) pie with home-made top-and-bottom crusts that was the best peach pie (not cobbler) I ever tasted, which is sayin' sumthin", I swear.

It's all part of the global tomatoes-for-peaches scandal tied to foreign electioneering of Norman city council-persons, I have on bad authority. All seriousness aside, it does involve the karmic notion of what goes around comes around which is the same idea of casting bread on the waters. And, yes, the free bread buddy likes a couple 'maters himself.

Casey likes it cooked and ready to eat, and she fries okra with the best of 'em, so we feed her after my foot massage, and she cooks when that is needed. We all eat well and nobody's been to the grocery store in a month, or more.

I seem to have rambled off topic somewhat, which happens more often as I age. So, help me back on track - what tobacco was under discussion here?
Forget the past for it no more holds sway;
forget the future once you thought so bright
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I have recently developed a fondness for hot dog buns. Nothing fancy. The cheapest kind. They are good for holding hot dogs.

I bought a lot of hot dogs at Costco recently so I've been buying cheap hot dog buns to try out different topping recipes. The inexpensive rolls are the best ones.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.