What's For Supper?

fingall
Member in Good Standing

Wildcat wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:59 am

I found a crock pot recipe for slumgullion I'm going to try today for dinner tonight.
Ya gotta tell us what's in it?
Wildcat
Codger in Training

fingall wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:19 am

I found a crock pot recipe for slumgullion I'm going to try today for dinner tonight.
From Merriam Webster:

"Slumgullion may not sound like the most appetizing name for a dish, but that’s part of its charm. The word’s etymology doesn’t do it any favors: "slumgullion" is believed to be derived from "slum," an old word for "slime," and "gullion," an English dialectical term for "mud" or "cesspool." Most of the earliest recorded usages of "slumgullion," such as in Mark Twain’s Roughing It (1872), refer not to a stew but a beverage. The sense referring to the stew debuted about two decades later, and while there is no consensus on exactly what kinds of ingredients are found in it, that’s the "slumgullion" that lives on today."

From The Grammarist. com

Goulash is a Hungarian stew made with meat, vegetables, paprika and various other spices. Goulash may be traced back to the ninth century when shepherds cooked stews in sheep stomachs. There are various recipes for goulash. What they all have in common is paprika. The word goulash is sometimes used figuratively to mean a jumble or a hodgepodge.

From me:

As far as I can tell, there a trillion recipes for both and all are very similar. Typical shared ingredients of both today would include, ground beef, stewed tomatoes, paprika and elbow macaroni. After that, family and regional tradition seems to take over and ingredients can be all over the board. Both slumgullion and goulash are/were the food of the poor. What do we have to make a stew or soup that is cheap, is filling, will go far and feed a family.

Somewhere along they way, slumgullion became something the Irish called their own. I believe this happened after the British genocide known as the Potato Famine (my Irish is showing) and the mass immigration to America.

Once I sat down to read ut, this recipe I tried today is really no different than what I normally do, other than using a crock pot.

PS) It's delicious!!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
fingall
Member in Good Standing

Wildcat wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:38 pm

From Merriam Webster:

"Slumgullion may not sound like the most appetizing name for a dish, but that’s part of its charm. The word’s etymology doesn’t do it any favors: "slumgullion" is believed to be derived from "slum," an old word for "slime," and "gullion," an English dialectical term for "mud" or "cesspool." Most of the earliest recorded usages of "slumgullion," such as in Mark Twain’s Roughing It (1872), refer not to a stew but a beverage. The sense referring to the stew debuted about two decades later, and while there is no consensus on exactly what kinds of ingredients are found in it, that’s the "slumgullion" that lives on today."

From The Grammarist. com

Goulash is a Hungarian stew made with meat, vegetables, paprika and various other spices. Goulash may be traced back to the ninth century when shepherds cooked stews in sheep stomachs. There are various recipes for goulash. What they all have in common is paprika. The word goulash is sometimes used figuratively to mean a jumble or a hodgepodge.

From me:

As far as I can tell, there a trillion recipes for both and all are very similar. Typical shared ingredients of both today would include, ground beef, stewed tomatoes, paprika and elbow macaroni. After that, family and regional tradition seems to take over and ingredients can be all over the board. Both slumgullion and goulash are/were the food of the poor. What do we have to make a stew or soup that is cheap, is filling, will go far and feed a family.

Somewhere along they way, slumgullion became something the Irish called their own. I believe this happened after the British genocide known as the Potato Famine (my Irish is showing) and the mass immigration to America.

Once I sat down to read ut, this recipe I tried today is really no different than what I normally do, other than using a crock pot.

PS) It's delicious!!
Thanks for that. Growing up, my Mom made a dish called macaroni soup which had the same ingredients you listed above (ground beef, stewed tomatoes, elbow macaroni).; I loved it then and still do now. Now I might have to ask her to make some. She's making stuffed cabbage for us this week, so maybe I can get her to make it for next :D
Enjoy!
BoyScout

8 hours brining. 2 hours with my homemade rub. 3 hours in my smoker. 2 hours wrapped in foil with some dark beer to steam in my smoker. Unwrapped and smoked for 1 hour more. Finished with my homemade carolina style bbq sauce.
Pork side ribs and homemade potato salad.ImageImageImageImageImage
Wildcat
Codger in Training

fingall wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:03 pm
Wildcat wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:38 pm
From Merriam Webster:

From The Grammarist. com

From me:

PS) It's delicious!!
Thanks for that. Growing up, my Mom made a dish called macaroni soup which had the same ingredients you listed above (ground beef, stewed tomatoes, elbow macaroni).; I loved it then and still do now. Now I might have to ask her to make some. She's making stuffed cabbage for us this week, so maybe I can get her to make it for next :D
Enjoy!
Soup AND stuffed cabbage both sound great!!

My mom made a dish that I love to this day. Stewed tomatoes, elbow macaroni and hard boiled eggs. Same concept as what we're discussing... cheap, hearty and mmm, mmm, good!

Your mom sounds wonderful! Hug her for me!!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Bamarick

I suspect that Slumgullion is basically what we call "Cleanout Stew". Once a month or so we'll clean out the freezer of the leftovers and make a stew. Tomatoes, some chicken stock and spices will be added to whatever we found. It's one of my favorite meals!
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Our families peasant stew is chopmeat, potatoes, onions and peas. Growing up my mother would use water and flour to make the sauce, don't know how it came out so flavorful but when I started making it I use a can of beef stock. Being part Polish there was never a shortage of stuffed cabbage or Pierogis.
The Troll Whisperer
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mama Mia! Now that's a pizza!

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Citizen B wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:36 pm Mama mia! Now that's a pizza!

I think it's got sardines on top. Not anchovies-----sardines.

Ponder the idea of this pizza pie in your heart.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Pizza de Atum com Cebola is big in Brazil. Thats-a big, big taste!

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!