What's For Supper?

Jlando19

Made these pizza stuffed zucchini boats. ‘‘Twas tasty.
This post by Jlando19 liked by (total 5):
WildcatSilverMr BeardsleyPuff nstuffrekamepip
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Jlando19 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:03 pm Made these pizza stuffed zucchini boats. ‘‘Twas tasty.
Duuuude! Mrs Cat asking for recipe!
This post by Wildcat liked by (total 2):
Jlando19Citizen B
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Jlando19

Wildcat wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:05 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:03 pm Made these pizza stuffed zucchini boats. ‘‘Twas tasty.
I can write one up! I was kinda winging it.

I had a huge zucchini that I got from a farm down the road from here.

I browned a pound of grass fed beef and some mild Italian sausage. (Two pounds was way too much for two people but now I got protein for my breakfast.)

So

Large zucchini
Ground beef
Ground Italian sausage
Turkey pepperoni (why not)
Half a large onion
Green and red bell pepper
Mushrooms
Garlic
Basil
Parmesan

Marinara (the grocery store here has a pretty killer fresh I’m house one they do.)

Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Red pepper flake
EVOO

Set oven to 375
Cut ends off of zucchini. Slice length ways. Scoop out middle to create boat. Rub down zucchini with EVOO. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bake for 10 minutes, maybe 15 depending on how tender you like it.

While that’s working. Brown the meats. Once the meats are mostly cooked I drain off some of the excess fat then throw in my veggies. Except the garlic and mushrooms. (I cut and prep veggies almost daily) a habit from working in kitchens and it makes cooking easier for me. I throw the garlic and mushrooms in after the onions turn translucent. I like the flavor of almost rawish garlic and I like my mushrooms to still have a little body when it’s all said and done. Cool the mixture a couple minutes after you add the garlic and mushrooms then toss in the marinara.

Pull the zucchini out. Fill em up with your mixture. Arrange pepperoni on top then sprinkle with Parmesan. Turn your broiler on and slide em back in. I think I let it go for about 3-5 minutes until the parm turned golden. Take em out and sprinkle basil on top.

You can add other herbs dry or fresh if you like. Just keep it Italian. Lol. A real Italian would scoff at me for this.

I whipped it all up in less than 45 minutes but I spent a decade working in kitchens so I’m kinda like greased lighting in there.

Let me know if y’all do it and if you liked it!
This post by Jlando19 liked by (total 5):
SilverWildcatPuff nstuffCitizen Brekamepip
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Turkey pepperoni? Fifty lashes with a wet noodle!
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Puff nstuff
Member in Good Standing

Tonight I had a belated Father's Day meal with some very close friends - grilled tri-tip with a gorgozola cream sauce, grilled carrots, smashed potatoes, oven roasted broccoli, and a spanking good Ceasar salad. It was a delicious, satisfying meal! We had a fruity GSM along with it.
This post by Puff nstuff liked by (total 2):
SilverMr Beardsley
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Jlando19 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:44 pm
Wildcat wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:05 pm
I can write one up! I was kinda winging it.

I had a huge zucchini that I got from a farm down the road from here.

I browned a pound of grass fed beef and some mild Italian sausage. (Two pounds was way too much for two people but now I got protein for my breakfast.)

So

Large zucchini
Ground beef
Ground Italian sausage
Turkey pepperoni (why not)
Half a large onion
Green and red bell pepper
Mushrooms
Garlic
Basil
Parmesan

Marinara (the grocery store here has a pretty killer fresh I’m house one they do.)

Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Red pepper flake
EVOO

Set oven to 375
Cut ends off of zucchini. Slice length ways. Scoop out middle to create boat. Rub down zucchini with EVOO. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bake for 10 minutes, maybe 15 depending on how tender you like it.

While that’s working. Brown the meats. Once the meats are mostly cooked I drain off some of the excess fat then throw in my veggies. Except the garlic and mushrooms. (I cut and prep veggies almost daily) a habit from working in kitchens and it makes cooking easier for me. I throw the garlic and mushrooms in after the onions turn translucent. I like the flavor of almost rawish garlic and I like my mushrooms to still have a little body when it’s all said and done. Cool the mixture a couple minutes after you add the garlic and mushrooms then toss in the marinara.

Pull the zucchini out. Fill em up with your mixture. Arrange pepperoni on top then sprinkle with Parmesan. Turn your broiler on and slide em back in. I think I let it go for about 3-5 minutes until the parm turned golden. Take em out and sprinkle basil on top.

You can add other herbs dry or fresh if you like. Just keep it Italian. Lol. A real Italian would scoff at me for this.

I whipped it all up in less than 45 minutes but I spent a decade working in kitchens so I’m kinda like greased lighting in there.

Let me know if y’all do it and if you liked it!
I'ma do it and I will let you know. Thanks!!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
CoreyR
Founding Member

Last night u did something I had not done in a long while. I broke out the wok and cooked some stir-fry.
Steak, snow peas, water chestnuts, squash...I can't remember what else. Made some simple white rice with it and wrapped it up with frozen egg rolls because the wife loves those things.
This post by CoreyR liked by (total 3):
SilverPuff nstuffrekamepip
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Puff nstuff wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:39 am Tonight I had a belated Father's Day meal with some very close friends - grilled tri-tip with a gorgozola cream sauce, grilled carrots, smashed potatoes, oven roasted broccoli, and a spanking good Ceasar salad. It was a delicious, satisfying meal! We had a fruity GSM along with it.
Was this a restaurant meal or on somebody's patio? The chow looks restaurant quality but the tablecloth looks picnic table-worthy.

I trust you had a happy Fathers' Day, and many more to follow---every day of the year.
--- "His legend precedes him the way lightning precedes thunder."
Puff nstuff
Member in Good Standing

Citizen B wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:36 pm
Puff nstuff wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:39 am Tonight I had a belated Father's Day meal with some very close friends - grilled tri-tip with a gorgozola cream sauce, grilled carrots, smashed potatoes, oven roasted broccoli, and a spanking good Ceasar salad. It was a delicious, satisfying meal! We had a fruity GSM along with it.
Was this a restaurant meal or on somebody's patio? The chow looks restaurant quality but the tablecloth looks picnic table-worthy.

I trust you had a happy Fathers' Day, and many more to follow---every day of the year.
Thank you - and back at you, fellow dad!
This was a home-cooked meal that I had a hand in (I managed the grill), but most of it was prepared by the hostess, and we ate on their back patio. This is a family we have enjoyed many memorable home-cooked meals with. Along with one other couple, together we've made some amazing food over the years. It's good to have friends with very high expectations for food and drink.
This post by Puff nstuff liked by (total 2):
Citizen BSilver
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

This evening I'll be cooking Carne asada and Pollo on my little pit boss 2 burner flat top griddle. The meat is from my regular joint by the house and has never disappointed me or anyone else who has had it. The pit boss has been a real workhorse and we got a great deal on it from Amazon
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 2):
SilverPuff nstuff
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin