Springfield Mil-Spec Gots New Shoes

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

This Mil-Spec came with nice checkered walnut grips but I always wanted a 1911 with ivory grips. Guess what? That stuff is expensive! Thankfully Altamont came to my aid with their bonded "ivory". I don't know for sure what it is, probably brylon, but it sure makes nice grips. I got the carved Mexican eagle motif on the right panel. The left panel is plain ivory. Here's before and after pics,
ImageImageImageImageImage
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
GatorGirl

That’s a beautiful piece Kevin!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

That's a really nice looking setup! My 1911's wear fairly aggressive g-10 grips because my hands tend to be a bit sweaty at times :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I rock the white ivory grips as well. Copycat.
The Troll Whisperer
ncrobb
Founding Member

That is definitely Elmer Keith approved.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
avid

day-um
insufferable filter guy
Ronv69
Founding Member

I have been considering simulated ivory grips for my Ruger 44 Special Blackhawk, al la Elmer Keith.. Then my personal preference is white micarta. I ran across these birdseye maple oversize grips and they were the solution. The factory grips were too small for my hand.

God and Texas!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Super nice Kevin. I am guessing that eagle provides quite a bit of grip into your palm which compensates for the fact that the other side is smooth. Having the body side of the grip smooth seems like it would really lessen then checker bite I get on my love handles when I carry a full frame. :D
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:48 pm Super nice Kevin. I am guessing that eagle provides quite a bit of grip into your palm which compensates for the fact that the other side is smooth. Having the body side of the grip smooth seems like it would really lessen then checker bite I get on my love handles when I carry a full frame. :D
I'm a tubby sonofagun myself. Carry off body when I do :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

houtenziel wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:48 pm Super nice Kevin. I am guessing that eagle provides quite a bit of grip into your palm which compensates for the fact that the other side is smooth. Having the body side of the grip smooth seems like it would really lessen then checker bite I get on my love handles when I carry a full frame. :D
That's it exactly!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!