Chiappa 1892 Trapper

Ronv69
Founding Member

BriarPipeNYC wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:53 am
BriarPipeNYC wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:45 pm

I wanted one of these short carbines ever since I watched a young man on You-Tube, shooting a lever-action .44 mag Henry Mare's Leg -that was converted into a SBR carbine. Don't know what it is but I love the look of a short carbine.

Nice rifle!... and the wood looks like it has some nice grain. Enjoy it .....while you're still allowed to own it.
I couldn't own a SBR even if I wanted to own one.

It's ironic. Now that I could afford to buy a .44 mag, Henry lever-action Mare's Leg, it would be senseless. I live in New York City. I would need to apply for a Pistol Permit which takes at least six months, endless background checks, and big money, then wait for approval by NYPD. The application for a permit can be bounced and rejected for any reason. IF approved, then I would have to apply for a "request to purchase" order... just to buy only the one SPECIFIC pistol (Mare's Leg), then wait for approval-to-purchase only that one SPECIFIC pistol from the NYPD. A request-to-purchase is needed for each specific pistol. I then can buy it from the FFL vendor, and then I MUST have it inspected/verified by NYPD for correct serial number, etc. and have it approved by the NYPD. There are restrictions on how many pistols can be owned without having a gun safe. Another adult must also sign notarized affidavits that in case I should become ill, or declared incompetent to own or use a firearm, they will turn in my guns to the local PD. Exceed the number and you are forced to buy a gun safe and must have an inspector come into your home and verify the gun safe for approval by the NYPD. It would be totally illegal in NYC/NYS -even if I had a valid pistol permit- to convert or own a Mare's Leg that was converted to a SBR. In reality, I would first need a pistol-permit to buy the Mare's Leg, and IF I was allowed to convert it to a SBR, I'd also have to have a rifle/shotgun permit to legally possess and keep the rifle + have the special BATF permits to allow me to have a SBR legally.

Rifle/Shotgun permits are also required in NYC to own any long gun, and requests-to-purchase + approvals by the NYPD are also required to buy any rifle or shotgun. So, let's say I went to a gun show and wanted to buy a rifle, I would have to give a down payment to the vendor, apply for a request-to-purchase, wait for approval forms from the NYPD, show the approval papers to the vendor, then, I could buy the rifle. There are no instant firearm purchases in NY. Buy the time all the paperwork is approved, the vendor has returned to where he lives, with my gun and my money....and would have to ship the firearm to MY local FFL dealer, and then I would have to pay for the shipping, and all the fees that the FFL would charge me to handle the transaction. It's a mess. I gave up my permits a few years ago and transferred all my pistols to my good friend who lives in Florida. When I visit, I could shoot all my damn guns right in his backyard and do it without any PITA police showing up. Gun rights in "blue" NYC/NYS are a sick joke. Here, the 2nd A has been effectively nullified for decades....and it's gonna get a lot worse, everywhere.

Welcome to the new USSA!
Wow! I bet y'all don't have any gun crime to speak of, except maybe from visiting Texans.
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:35 am This guy started it all! I was obsessed with this rifle and with Steve McQueen's Mare's Leg. The gimmick guns were the stars!
Thing is that Connors could really shoot.
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Armycw2 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:36 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:10 pm
Armycw2 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:38 pm I have a Rossi R92 Stainless 20" in 44 Magnum but I feed it my Skeeter Skelton 44 special loads exclusively.. It makes a "perfect pair" with my Flattop Stainless Bisley Blackhawk in 44 special

I lounge around the house like that too but with a 45-70. Lol
It used to drive my Wife crazy when I would fondle my guns on the sofa.. Now she doesn't even bat an eye.
Both of my 45/70s are too big to fondle. Ones a Siamese Mauser that weighs 9.5 pounds and the other is a Buffalo Classic that weighs 9 pounds. But I can shoot the hottest Buffalo Bore loads without destroying my shoulder.
God and Texas!
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I have owned several 45-70s. An 1873 Springfield rifle and also two of the cavalry carbines at one time or another. The rifle was fun to shoot but the carbines were real bone shakers. I still have the old rifle but I never shoot it. I keep it around because I got it in a trade from an old friend who has since passed away. I sold my nephew a Marlin 1895 45-70 he has deer hunted in Tennessee with for years. He said when he shoots them they stay shot. Hard to argue with that. I estimate I have killed 50 or so deer in my life. The only one I ever lost was a solid hit with a .250 Savage. I spent the better part of two days looking for that deer and never did find it. That still haunts me. From then on I hunted with 30-06 and sometimes .308. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't believe everything you read in the gun magazines. Use enough gun. The beasts you pursue will be better off.
Ronv69
Founding Member

The 357 carbine is why I now hunt with the bolt action 45/70.
God and Texas!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

When your in the woods nothing beats a 30-30 or 45-70. In my opinion 30-06 or .308 just destroys the meat at close range, unless you like bloody meat.
The Troll Whisperer
Ronv69
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:03 pm When your in the woods nothing beats a 30-30 or 45-70. In my opinion 30-06 or .308 just destroys the meat at close range, unless you like bloody meat.
https://freerepublic.com/focus/news/843705/posts
God and Texas!
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Ronv69 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:07 pm The 357 carbine is why I now hunt with the bolt action 45/70.
I remember when those first became available. Built on a Siamese Mauser action were they not? I kind of had a hankering for one, but I just never got around to it when I had the chance. The Siamese Mausers were a glut on the market for a while. You could pick one up for about 25 bucks or thereabouts just about anywhere surplus arms were sold. Best deal in town if you wanted to build a rifle for a rimmed cartridge. They seem to have disappeared. Due to the rimmed cartridge they were chambered for and the slanted magazine well there was no better choice for conversion to 45-70 or .444 Marlin. Mauser is the best and most reliable action in the world in my opinion, bar none. Thats why I have always been partial to Ruger rifles. Almost a Mauser clone, especially on the newer ones. I let my Ruger 30-06 go, but my .308 MkII featherweight still abides in my abode. I'm past deer hunting. Can't see, can't hear, can't get into a tree stand. Everybody needs a few rifles collecting dust just to get on the gun grabbers nerves if nothing else.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Lostdog5152 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:01 am
Ronv69 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:07 pm The 357 carbine is why I now hunt with the bolt action 45/70.
I remember when those first became available. Built on a Siamese Mauser action were they not? I kind of had a hankering for one, but I just never got around to it when I had the chance. The Siamese Mausers were a glut on the market for a while. You could pick one up for about 25 bucks or thereabouts just about anywhere surplus arms were sold. Best deal in town if you wanted to build a rifle for a rimmed cartridge. They seem to have disappeared. Due to the rimmed cartridge they were chambered for and the slanted magazine well there was no better choice for conversion to 45-70 or .444 Marlin. Mauser is the best and most reliable action in the world in my opinion, bar none. Thats why I have always been partial to Ruger rifles. Almost a Mauser clone, especially on the newer ones. I let my Ruger 30-06 go, but my .308 MkII featherweight still abides in my abode. I'm past deer hunting. Can't see, can't hear, can't get into a tree stand. Everybody needs a few rifles collecting dust just to get on the gun grabbers nerves if nothing else.
I picked up my Siamese Mauser about 35 years ago and had ER Shaw do the conversion. 23" heavy sporter barrel. Timney trigger.
1.5x7 scope. It's got an old Bishop stock on it but I have a Richard's laminate stock that I will put on as soon as I get a chance to finish it. Throated it so I can load the Speer 400 grain to the back cannelure 2.95". I can push a 300 grain to 2600fps.
God and Texas!
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Ronv69 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:33 am
Lostdog5152 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:01 am
I picked up my Siamese Mauser about 35 years ago and had ER Shaw do the conversion. 23" heavy sporter barrel. Timney trigger.
1.5x7 scope. It's got an old Bishop stock on it but I have a Richard's laminate stock that I will put on as soon as I get a chance to finish it. Throated it so I can load the Speer 400 grain to the back cannelure 2.95". I can push a 300 grain to 2600fps.
Man. oh man! You are set to go! This was exactly what I had in my mind when I was daydreaming about a 45-70 bolt gun. I even went so far as to have a barrel turned for the Siamese Mauser even before I owned one. A friend was attending gunsmithing school in Trinidad, Colorado. He was building a .444 on the Siamese Mauser action and I talked him into doing a 45-70 barrel for me. Problem is, mine came back in .444 same as his. I finally sold the barrel for a pittance and the whole project went on the back burner never to be revived.