" bug out ".. Items and thoughts

Jlando19

Riff89 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:04 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:39 pm @Ruffinogold
You'll need water way before you need food. You didn't list anything for water procurement, filtration or purification. There's tons of scenarios we could let our minds drift into but I think water is missing from your mindset here. If it's a short ordeal everyone carries at least a gallon to start with. Then you source it from there on out.
I keep a Sawyer Mini in my GHB it takes up almost no room and will last forever. It also is threaded to screw onto a soda bottle or add it to the hydration pack line allowing you to drink on the fly unlike the life straw which forces you to stop and sip from a water source. Versatility is important to me I like things that are capable of being used in different ways.
I've got one too! As well as kit to boil water if needed. I've got all sorts of stuff depending on what the plan is. I had mostly been motorcycle camping for fun the past few years, so stuff gets paired down for that. My current bike is just "look cool go fast." My last bike was set up for touring.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

The more I think about it, the more I think it would be nice to have a yo-yo when you bug out. It'll give you something to do, you know, with no internet or TV or booze or dames, or, anything but wasteland everywhere.

A yo-yo can be a pleasant distraction if you don't want to think about anything else. I am going to the toy store tomorrow. It's one block away from my favorite B&M. It will be two successful errands in one.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Meanwhile, back on the hunker down scenario...

I live on a cul de sac. Every house had a 5' cinder block wall in the back yard, basically circling all the properties. We've half jokingly discussed the zombie apocalypse. If things get really bad, we can tear up the pavement to put up a barrier on the entrance to the cul de sac. With the pavement gone we can plant some crops, dig a well and maybe get a coupla few goats.

A couple of us are musicians, I have brewing equipment, maybe we could turn one of the houses into a pub? Not sure if we'd be able to grow tobacco...
ever forward
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Citizen B wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:06 pm The more I think about it, the more I think it would be nice to have a yo-yo when you bug out. It'll give you something to do, you know, with no internet or TV or booze or dames, or, anything but wasteland everywhere.

A yo-yo can be a pleasant distraction if you don't want to think about anything else. I am going to the toy store tomorrow. It's one block away from my favorite B&M. It will be two successful errands in one.
I recently subscribed to an audio forum. They sent me a yo-yo as a thank you. I've forgotten how to use it. I spend more time re-wrapping the line than yo-yoing. Kinda like fly fishing.
ever forward
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:59 pm
Id up the food count you got going there . Skills are fine but Game is tricky some times or not plentiful
I am not too worried about it. The honest truth is that I have a bag of stuff mostly just to get us out of a somewhat urban area. The most likely natural disaster in this area that would require such preparations is a major slip at the Cascadia Subduction zone.. but if that happens no amount of MREs is gonna save us. Frankly I am a lot more afraid of people related SHTF situations than I am of nature, and it just so happens that I was trained to deal with that problem by the US Government. Beyond that, I am in the Lord's hands.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Peanut butter is always good and multi purpose, and a pipe with cover/windscreen to help reduce the visibility of a glowing ember. Starting a fire can draw unwanted attention and the chance of you being near a well planned bag of survival accoutrements when the bottom drops out is slim. A warm/waterproof jacket with lots of pockets is most welcome. Misc. moderate stockpiles in somewhat remote areas you know and can get to are beneficial. Five gallon buckets can be buried/camouflaged easy enough and hold plenty enough, stagger them and do inventory/pull/add to keep them fresh, pack a a bag, and cross your fingers because ultimately it'll be a battle of wits rather than a staged event.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:40 pm pack a a bag, and cross your fingers because ultimately it'll be a battle of wits rather than a staged event.
Kinda reminds me of a Mike Tyson quote: "Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth".
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Houtenziel wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:06 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:40 pm pack a a bag, and cross your fingers because ultimately it'll be a battle of wits rather than a staged event.
Kinda reminds me of a Mike Tyson quote: "Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth".
Exactly. Now imagine Mike Tyson is a force of nature and the mouth getting punched is your home turf, just staying on your feet will be a struggle for most. Those who can handle, or even thrive, in those situation are your enemies, or friends, the lines get blurry when there's no longer a reference point for anything.
Ronv69
Founding Member

I live in a house on a hill just off a major highway on the outskirts of a tiny town. I am not bugging out anywhere. We bugged out here from the Houston area. We are surrounded by trees, water, cows and farms, and the greatest people.
God and Texas!
Jlando19

I'm always bugged out. Lol. Everything I need can be procured one way or another.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.